SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: A few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
Question A few questions

Hello All-- I was hoping to get some info on tires. I would like a good, not great, set of street tires. Maybe $150 US per tire(max). I like to test the car a bit throught the turns, but nothing too harsh. It's a summer driven car, but sees its fair share of rain.

My next question is about the rear end. Does it have a "posi" traction? Also, is there anyone who makes a ring and pinion gear set? I have an auto, so I thought this might help out of the hole.

Lastly, what is the going rate for installing the aftermarket crank pullie/MAS relocation kit people are using? Do the kits effect everyday street driving? If so, does it seem to worth the extra power?

Please excuse my lack of M-B knowledge. Any help would be great. Thank you for your time.

-Eric
Old 01-22-2003, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Re: A few questions

Originally posted by red99slk
Hello All-- I was hoping to get some info on tires. I would like a good, not great, set of street tires. Maybe $150 US per tire(max). I like to test the car a bit throught the turns, but nothing too harsh. It's a summer driven car, but sees its fair share of rain.
Check tirerack.com. Even the "great" tires like Bridgestone Potenza S-03, Michelin Pilot Sport, and Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico are under $150 per tire for 205/55R16 and 225/50R16 sizes. You could save more and step down to Potenza RE730 G2, Continental SportContact2 or Dunlop SP Sport 8000 for around $100 per tire.

My next question is about the rear end. Does it have a "posi" traction? Also, is there anyone who makes a ring and pinion gear set? I have an auto, so I thought this might help out of the hole.
SLKs don't have limited slip. Similar functionality is provided by ASR in '98-'00 models (or ESP in '01-'03 models). If you turn ASR/ESP off with the button on the console, what you get is very similar to a limited slip differential.

I've never heard of somebody swapping the gears, all I've heard of is people swapping the entire differential. The kicker is that when you changed the differential ratio, you need a new or reprogrammed transmission controller in order for all of the electronics to function properly. Cost is in the $3K range for a new diff plus controller, so I've been told.

Lastly, what is the going rate for installing the aftermarket crank pullie/MAS relocation kit people are using? Do the kits effect everyday street driving? If so, does it seem to worth the extra power?
I don't know the cost, but I suspect it can be done for around $500 including installation. I have only driven a '99 SLK230 with the Vaeth kit (but without the MAS relocation kit) in Germany and it definitely had alot of extra power, not to mention a top speed over 150mph. The only issue was the 3000RPM "hole", which the MAS relocation is supposed to cure.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:44 PM

SLK230
Thank you Brian. You were most helpful.

-Eric
Old 01-24-2003, 02:47 PM

'99SLK Sport, silver
red99slk

For tires, the Pilot Sports are very good all around tires. Good in the dry and good in the wet. In Washington, having good wet tires is a must. They have a good ride, not loud and seem to be wearing OK.

As for the MAS, contact linh. He has the complete kit for $700.00. His kit includes the pulley, the belt, spark plugs, fuel regulator and the MAS relocation kit. It is dyno tested and the kit is "complete". Other kits are not that complete.