SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: 8 reasons I like my Camry better than my SLK ;)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 reasons I like my Camry better than my SLK ;)

I had to drop my car off for service Friday and they gave me a new Camry. When I saw the Toyota key I thought the worst, ECHO At least my Camry is loaded, and it even has some things I like It has:

1 - Cup holders I can actually USE, because God for BID I spill ONE drop of coffee in the SLK, it goes into the radio or on the shifter or in the AC knobs or down the side of the console OR into the back of the dash, not to mention all over my knee.

2 - A CD player, granted I have a CD changer, but in dash would be nice.

3 - Tilt wheel, could have gotten telescoping, but that would have stretched my wait for the car out several months

4 - Power seat, same problem as above.

5 - Trunk release on the alarm remote, OK, so it has a door handle on the trunk, but that doesn't help me if I have 1 armfulls of stuff and have to put it on the ground.

6 - Daytime running lights

7 - A parking brake that goes up really high!! lol, I have a thing with parking brakes, the SLK only goes up a couple clicks and doesn't leave me feeling satisfied.

8 - Beeps when you use the remote to lock and unlock. I need a "beep beep" to feel good about leaving my car somewhere, and the SLK doesn't do that for me! lol

I still love my SLK and would NEVER drive a Camry willingly, lol....and I knew the SLK didn't have all that stuff when I bought it, I just wish it did!!! lol

Alright, I'm done....time to go work on the Mustang, ALLLLLLL day lol
Old 01-26-2003, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Work on a mustang all day. What do you do?
Old 01-26-2003, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Oh no, you've fallen in love with a rental car! At least you don't complain like a lot of people that have to drive a non-Mercedes when their car is in for service (i.e. "what?? I drive a CL600 and you've giving me this loaner Cavalier??) What did they fix on your car?

I too agree about the parking brake issue, they're just not strong enough to hold the car. If you pull the parking brake up as far as it goes and give it a little gas, the car easily moves.

About the alarm, aren't the three turn signal flashes enough of a confirmation?
Old 01-26-2003, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: 8 reasons I like my Camry better than my SLK ;)

Originally posted by RedSLKChic
I5 - Trunk release on the alarm remote, OK, so it has a door handle on the trunk, but that doesn't help me if I have 1 armfulls of stuff and have to put it on the ground.
You're lucky you don't have an older SLK. There used to be a big round button to the right of where the license plate goes. You had to push this button in to pop the trunk, and many of them were very hard to push. The handle above the plate is one of the best improvements on the car.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 AMG

8 - Beeps when you use the remote to lock and unlock. I need a "beep beep" to feel good about leaving my car somewhere, and the SLK doesn't do that for me! lol

On my C32 I was able to do this, which I posted in the C32 forum:

"Had setting changed to Neatherlands, allowing door lock chirps! Panic button no longer works, but who cares. all windows up, all windows down function still works Tech say's it send a small electrical pulse to the siren used in the alarm system so the beep is not a horn sound. It has the same (almost) sound as the seat bell warning chime. (IMO) It's loud enought to no what's happening but not so loud as to be annoying. I listened a couple of times just to make sure before telling them to save the setting."

I do not know if it is the same on the SLK but you might want to look into it. Do a search on the topic. When I went to the dealer I had screen shotsa and directions from posts here on MBworld. They did it without any trouble (or charges!) .
Old 01-26-2003, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Daytime running lamps can be switched on or off from the settings menu.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:17 PM

Acura 3.2 CL Type S
I have you beat, Red... When the woman opened her door into me, I had a rental Buick Century. I actually thought the car was pretty good - except for the unidentified white stains in the back seat... and the yellow DRLs. But considering they cost $20,000 it had enough power, but trunk... It would be good for a city car. Sit three people int he back with no problem... But I was glad to get the CL back.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:44 PM

2002 SLK 320

1 - Cup holders I can actually USE, because God for BID I spill ONE drop of coffee in the SLK, it goes into the radio or on the shifter or in the AC knobs or down the side of the console OR into the back of the dash, not to mention all over my knee.
Those cupholders are crazy! If I buy a coffee while I'm driving, I have to empty half of it out before I get in the car otherwise the next bump I hit (SLK = HARD SUSPENSION!) I'm gonna have to pull over and wipe coffee off the whole center console! PLUS!... have you tried to put a 33oz bottle of coke in there? It's a feat of dexterity!

2 - A CD player, granted I have a CD changer, but in dash would be nice.
Absolutely right... I have seen that you can replace the factory standard head unit with another MB unit that contains an in-dash cd player and will still drive the CD-Changer. Costs around $500.

3 - Tilt wheel, could have gotten telescoping, but that would have stretched my wait for the car out several months
I have the telesoping and I'm glad that I did! But a tilt would have been so so much better!

4 - Power seat, same problem as above.
You're on your own there! I have power drivers and pass... glad I do!

5 - Trunk release on the alarm remote, OK, so it has a door handle on the trunk, but that doesn't help me if I have 1 armfulls of stuff and have to put it on the ground.
That would be too much to ask from Mercedes for chrissakes!

6 - Daytime running lights
Why? You can put the running lights on using the rotary light switch.

7 - A parking brake that goes up really high!! lol, I have a thing with parking brakes, the SLK only goes up a couple clicks and doesn't leave me feeling satisfied.
OK, you're nuts. (that's how u use the rolleyes)

I prefer it without the beep-beep which sounds "cheap" to me.

Finally, shouldn't this thread be in the SLK forum???
Old 01-26-2003, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
She put it in this thread, so she can post *****. :p :p
Old 01-26-2003, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mbtech, yeah the lights flash, but I wish I had a little chirp! Not a crazy one like with a Viper alarm so my neighbors know when I get home, but something to make me happy, lol.

Taucher, I'll look into that.

Scorpius, the Camry definitely lacks in the power department. I think it's a 4 and I'm too lazy to open the hood, lol. Does a mean burnout but I feel like an OLLLD lady in it! lol There are some things from past users of the car that make me wonder......Like the MANHOLE COVER in the trunk!!!!! LMAO

Beantown, glad you can sympathize with me about those damn cupholders I never tried a 33oz, but a large ice coffee from Dunkin Doughnuts doesnt fit. I had to do the "knee squeeze" technique lmao And it's not in the SLK forum because no one really posts there...and I wanted to share this with the world
Old 01-26-2003, 04:27 PM

Acura 3.2 CL Type S
mbtech, yeah the lights flash, but I wish I had a little chirp! Not a crazy one like with a Viper alarm so my neighbors know when I get home, but something to make me happy, lol.

Taucher, I'll look into that.

Scorpius, the Camry definitely lacks in the power department. I think it's a 4 and I'm too lazy to open the hood, lol. Does a mean burnout but I feel like an OLLLD lady in it! lol There are some things from past users of the car that make me wonder......Like the MANHOLE COVER in the trunk!!!!! LMAO

Manhole cover? Do you have a digital camera? that I have to see... At least the Buick could reach passing speeds with realitive ease. Well, I have to go to a soper Bowl Party now, so I'll catch you later.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Originally posted by Scorpius
Manhole cover? Do you have a digital camera? that I have to see... At least the Buick could reach passing speeds with realitive ease. Well, I have to go to a soper Bowl Party now, so I'll catch you later.
Dont get to drunk. I am at work no super bowl for me
Old 01-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Mercedes
Dont get to drunk. I am at work no super bowl for me
r u in ur thong?
Old 01-26-2003, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Originally posted by vraa
r u in ur thong?
Only for you here you go It's red also
Old 01-26-2003, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LoL, I will get a picture of it tomorrow morning
Old 01-26-2003, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
You never answered my question
Old 01-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
or you in ur thong?! sweet!
Old 01-26-2003, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Mercedes
Work on a mustang all day. What do you do?
Sorry, lol. This question? If you mean what do I do for a job, nothing as of right now. I am technically unemployed though I do have several side jobs. And I am working on my Mustang...it was pretty cold in the shop today but we managed to get a lot done anyway

And no vraa, the manhole cover lol