SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Garett turbo kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SLK 200 Kompressor , BMW Z4
Garett turbo kit

My friends have found a second hand Garett turbo kit which is uninstalled from a C200.
They insist me to buy it.Because the price is very good. As i mentioned before , i have 200 kompressor- 193hpversion bef.2000-
He says , i can reach to 300Hp or 320 s with that turbo kit and i couldn't find any information about this product.

Question marks are -
?*Garett product-reliable-Any website?
?*C200 and SLK engines- same kit can be used?
?*i already have a supercharger- Whats the difference with Garett
?*What are the points we have to be very careful when using this kind of supercharger?Shorter engine life? other minuses

I think i need a pro assistance & guidance -
thanx God im in the right place

My car's pics at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/serhanium
http://photos.yahoo.com/serhanium

Last edited by Serhanium; 02-03-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Garrett is the name of the manufacturer of the turbocharger. It's not the company that makes the kit. You should find out who made the kit.

The Garrett kit would add a turbocharger in addition to the supercharger (I assume you know the difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger). This is NOT a simple do-it-yourself upgrade. Lots of custom work will be involved.

The American tuner RENNtech used to offer a turbo + supercharger upgrade for the SLK230. It was originally a separate upgrade package, then only as part of their SLK RS package. It was extremely expensive (more than US$30,000) , but they did get over 300hp with it.

My personal opinion is that it would be a bad idea unless this car is just a hobby for you. I seriously doubt you can boost the power of the 200K to over 300hp without affecting it's drivability and reliability. You might not even be able to find fuel with high enough octane to run efficiently at that level of boost.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

www.egarrett.com

If you do an internet search for "Garrett turbo", you will find hundreds of matches. I will not whether to do it or not, but Garrett's are extremely popular turbos among DSM owners and they have an excellent reputation. My boyfriend is now deciding on either a Garrett or the Forced Performance "Green" turbo for our Eclipse.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:06 PM

MB SLK 200 Kompressor , BMW Z4
thanks for the information

-Brian thanks for the information & friendly warning.
My car is in a very good condition (original body no paint & engine)and i actually don't want to change or modify any part.
But the price for that second hand Garett is 2700 Euro (+600 Euro for the installation).Thats why i am confused and decided to seek for some more info.

They also told me that , i have to sign a paper which claims they are not responsible for any accidents & death...I think it is better to buy some other cheaper & bigger hobby car to do these kind of modifications.I like speeding but not the feeling of turbulance while driving.So you are right about the drivability subject.
I changed my mind and i am not gonna buy it.

-RedSLKChic , i found hundreds of Garret websites but for mini coopers , golfs etc ..not for benz and decided to be a crybaby here
maybe i chose the easy way coz i know there are brilliant people here to help each other.
As for your boyfriends decision , I have no doubt he gonna chose the best one, i can see that he has the ability