SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320
View Poll Results: When rolling with the top down, windows up or down?
I have the windows rolled up, gets too drafty and keeps cabin quiet.
28.57%
I keep the windows down.
25.71%
Depends on the temperature/how windy it is.
40.00%
What's the point of having the top down if you're gonna keep the windows up?
14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

SLK/R170: When top is down, windows up or down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML430
When top is down, windows up or down?

When you're rolling around on a nice sunny day with the top down, do you keep the roll the windows up, or keep them down? I like keeping them up myself, keeps the cabin quieter, you can hear the stereo better, plus you don't have that side wind drying out your contact lenses.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
I rarely have the windows up when the top is down, but when I do, there are 2 possible reasons:

1. The person in the passenger seat complained about the wind.
2. It's either too hot or too cold outside and the windows up combined with the heater or A/C can keep the temp inside more reasonable.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:32 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
All the way down!!!!

Just feels GREAT getting the "Wind" knocked into me...
Old 03-12-2003, 01:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
I bought my SLK the last day in November so it's been to cold to have the windows down with the top. One day it got up around 60F but I was on the high way so I kept the windows up(good thing because I got it up to 131MPH).

NP
Old 03-12-2003, 08:36 AM

1999 SLK 230 K
Its all about the speed! it's very uncomfortable to be riding with the windows down in highwayspeed, but when riding in a slower cruising tempo it's the only way!

(I've done 180 km/h with the top and windows down and i can't recomend it. Veeeery windy!! )
Old 03-13-2003, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Nektopoli
I bought my SLK the last day in November so it's been to cold to have the windows down with the top. One day it got up around 60F but I was on the high way so I kept the windows up(good thing because I got it up to 131MPH).

NP
Same here, I took delivery November 11th so I haven't been able to fully enjoy the convertible. A few days it hit high 40's and I've had the top down, but because of the windchill, I keep the windows up and the windscreen on. But I do plan on having the windows down when the top is down when the weather permits to take in the whole top down experience

And when you see girls with long hair driving convertibles in movies and thier hair is just sitting there doing nothing...IT'S NOT REAL!!! lol In reality, you MUST have your hair tied back or you will cause many accidents, not to mention looking like Medusa!! I guess girls with thick curly hair might not have is so bad, but mine is pin straight and very fine....not good wind hair
Old 03-13-2003, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I don't like driving SLK's with the top down. It's just too windy, especially on the freeway. I'd rather drive it top up, windows down. Not to mention a guy driving a convertible with the top down looks a little gay anyways. Unless either a girl is next to him, OR it's a classic car.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:27 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK 230
Originally posted by mbtech208
I don't like driving SLK's with the top down. It's just too windy, especially on the freeway. I'd rather drive it top up, windows down. Not to mention a guy driving a convertible with the top down looks a little gay anyways. Unless either a girl is next to him, OR it's a classic car.
Blah.

I disagree. I get more chics waving or whatnot when I have the top down... Just did the other day on the way to Ybor. I also live in Florida and on sunny days EVERYBODY has their roof down...

I usually leave the windows down if the top is down, UNLESS, I'm on the phone or going fast... only had it up to 125 MPH with the top down... tried 155 MPH one time with the top up... wasn't about to put even a window down.... lol
Old 03-17-2003, 04:41 AM

1999 ML430
WORD!!!!!!! :p
Old 03-17-2003, 03:18 PM

2002 SLK 320
Originally posted by ibjhb
Blah.

I disagree. I get more chics waving or whatnot when I have the top down... Just did the other day on the way to Ybor. I also live in Florida and on sunny days EVERYBODY has their roof down...

I usually leave the windows down if the top is down, UNLESS, I'm on the phone or going fast... only had it up to 125 MPH with the top down... tried 155 MPH one time with the top up... wasn't about to put even a window down.... lol
Yeah, what the hell is the "gay" crap all about??

My rule of thumb is that if it's not raining and its above the freezing-temperature-of-water then the top is down. I get waves from soccer moms in their SUV's, young chicks in their Eclipses, and even the occasional wink from a bored housewife in the passanger seat of their hubby's Maximas.

Life is sweet with a convertible.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:42 PM

1999 SLK 230 K
Originally posted by beantownrich
Well said Bean!

I just have to agree!

Old 03-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 230
Originally posted by beantownrich
Yeah, what the hell is the "gay" crap all about??

My rule of thumb is that if it's not raining and its above the freezing-temperature-of-water then the top is down. I get waves from soccer moms in their SUV's, young chicks in their Eclipses, and even the occasional wink from a bored housewife in the passanger seat of their hubby's Maximas.

lol, I agree totally... know EXACTLY how that is.

Albeit it rains quite a bit down here but it never gets below the freezing-temperature-of-water where I live so we have quite a bit of 'top-down' time....