SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Questions about the Convertible Top (and Brakes)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430, SLK 230
Questions about the Convertible Top (and Brakes)

I've got a few questions about my '98 SLK 230.

1. Recently when the top first begins to lift up/off/back, it gets stuck and won't move without a little manual assistance. Assuming that the mechanism needs some lubricant at the connection points (where the hooks of the top meet the clasps in the windshield frame), what type of lubricant should be used? Could I use this same lubricant on the moon roof rails of my CLK 430?

2. Sometimes while the top is up a clattering noise emanates from within the trunk (or at least from within the vehicle, behind the driver's seat). What seems to fix the noise is a pushing forward of the roof's up/down button for a few seconds. Unfortunately, after a few days the clattering returns. Any ideas out there about what is causing this phenomenon?

3. Lastly, although my brake pads have about 75% thickness left on them and the rotors only have about 60,000 miles on them there occurs a pulsing when the brakes are applied (at both fast and slow speeds - and the pulsing varies in frequency based on the speed at which one is traveling). It feels as if the rotors are warped, but I don't know why they would just suddenly warp with such little use. Are there any other suggestions as to why this sensation would be felt when I brake?

Thanks for any answer(s) you can provide!

Rob
Old 07-20-2010, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 75,xxx miles, 1998 SLK230 250,xxx miles
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...ml#post4216172
and lubing your roof http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...-1-krytox.html