SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Transmission problem. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
Transmission problem. Help!

2001 SLK320 w/ 110k mi. Transmission can only shift to drive but can only drive ~10mph, and driving is not smooth. Check Engine light is on. Can't shift to R or P once it's in D. Need to shut off car, then shift to P. I used the Actron scanner to scan the fault code, P0705, Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL input). I noticed that transmission fluid has leaked out from the round electrical connector just above the oil pan. About 2 qtrs has leaked out. I added 2 qtrs. But that does not solve the problem. Has anyone experienced this problem? Obviously, I can't drive the car now. My next task is to buy that round transmission electrical sensor from the dealer and see if that will solve the problem. How do I locate the other end of this transmission sensor? It's hidden behind the heat shield.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 PM

2004 E500 CLK320
I did some search online. Some CLK320/430 and E320 had similar problem, which was caused by a bad gear shift assembly module (under the shifter). has anyone had the gear shift module replaced in the SLK? That's one expensive electronic part, $600 from the dealer.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 SLK230 Sport
Originally Posted by SZMB
I did some search online. Some CLK320/430 and E320 had similar problem, which was caused by a bad gear shift assembly module (under the shifter). has anyone had the gear shift module replaced in the SLK? That's one expensive electronic part, $600 from the dealer.
It's cheaper than a new tranny, trust me on this. Try to find a used part, they come with warranties so if it doesn't work, it goes back. There is a guy locally and one in Oregon as well as Zacs, which is where, in theory, I'm getting a AC/Heat control unit from (750 from MB).
Old 08-15-2010, 12:05 AM

2004 E500 CLK320
An update on this issue. Hopefully that'll help someone out in the future. The defective part is the gear shift assembly module that's under the shifter. I checked Ebay and some junk yards online and couldn't find this shift assembly at any price. So back to the dealer, whom quoted me $630 including tax. But I was told by the dealer's parts department that I need to bring the car in to have the shift assembly decoded after installation. The fee for decoding is ~$150 to $200.
So I ended up bringing the car to a MB indy shop and let them do the work. Total price came to $1020, including 2 hrs labor, 2 hrs diagnosis, and the part. I left the car in the shop for 5 days while the tech took his time to exam all possible causes and making sure the problem was the shift assembly before replacing it.
BTW, while I was hunting for the cause of this problem. I noticed that a lot of tranny fluid had leaked out around the plastic electrical connector, connected on the lower right of the transmission. My next project is to replace this connector, which is a $15 part from the dealer. I just replaced the tranny fluid and filter, and measured about 2 qtrs for tranny fluid had leaked out.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Shift module

failure is common when water is dripped into the shifter.Range recognition failure.
Used units can be had for $250 easy removal and install.
Takes no reprogramming to operate for the 722.6 5 speed transmission.
Electrical connector leaks also common,replace with upgraded unit and make sure you clean and dry the old fluid out before buttoning it up.
Diy in the transmission section of the w210 forum on www.benzworld.org
along with the trans fluid and filter diy if you need it.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300D turbo, 2001 320SLK
" I checked Ebay and some junk yards online and couldn't find this shift assembly at any price. So back to the dealer, whom quoted me $630 including tax. But I was told by the dealer's parts department that I need to bring the car in to have the shift assembly decoded after installation. The fee for decoding is ~$150 to $200. "

FYI check Potomac German auto here in Maryland or Florida, they have a website and a number so you can work with them where ever you are in the country. I know for a fact that they have about 5 SLK's sitting on their lot so I am sure they could have helped you.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 SLK320
Electric floor shifter

My 2001 had the same problem, DTC P0705, the transmission was serviced 1500 miles prior and new connector/o-rings installed so no oil leaks, but I checked the ATF at operating temp. with my MB 722.6 trans. dip stick checked (OK). Mercedes Diagnostics Chassis / driveline manual shows the gear range recognition switch S16/10 or connector/wiring. it is inside the floor shifter assy. on the rotational selector shaft. Disconnected the battery and replaced the assy part no.1702671124, $560 list price at the dealers, but can be found for approx $100. less from a dealers web store NIB. you must remove the console, radio and wood switch panel to gain access. I did not remove the forward console but modified the aft plastic crossbar that attaches to the shifter assy. cutting it at the sides and making 2 stainless steel L brackets (.020") so that I could bolt it all back together. this saved much time. and it will not show when it is back together. there are 3 allen bolts that hold down the assy. and 1 electrical connector and an ignition lock out cable that requires a 90 deg, turn to disconnect. then lift the assy. and remove the clip from the arm/shift rod linkage. after it was all installed, reconnected the battery, sync of ESP & windows and reset radio code (in owners manual). Test drive was perfect, all operations smooth and indications normal. I did not have to have a dealer reset anything, all I used was my OBDII reader that can erase codes and CELs.

Last edited by Ricks01SLK; 12-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.