SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: gas problems ... and COLOR!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB SLK230
Exclamation gas problems ... and COLOR!!

when i fill up my tank .. the meter points inbetween full and 3/4ths ... is there something wrong wid my meter?????. .... and wats up with the alabaster white ... its off white ... my car was next to a 2002 mr2 spyder .. and the white on that car blew my car away ... it was like a a clear white

has anyone change thier benz's paint color??
Old 06-02-2003, 05:54 AM

1999 SLK 230 K
Have the same problem with my gas meter, but it has happened a couple o times that it went all the way up yo 4/4

When i asked The Dealership here they said that the meter was broken and had to be replaced and it would cost 4500 SEK (580 USD)

But the meter still works (except the absolute top level) so im leaving it be!

Don't know if this is a common problem

Last edited by Pr0wler; 06-02-2003 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:13 AM
TKL
Almost a Member!

SLK 320 (2002 Model)
My gas metter still working well (by now). 4/4

The problem is, when I order a "Full Tank" in a gas station, the gas complettly fill and overflow my tank, and a small amount fall to the floor and to the car's side. before the automatic gas gun is able to stop. It happens allways. Is this also normal ???

Thanks
Old 06-02-2003, 01:58 PM

1999 SLK 230 K
i have never heard of this before? so i don't think that it is very common!

By the way can you recomend any good attractions, things to do/see or car trips around Alicante?

Iam going down there for vacation this summer (end of july) going to stay in Torrevieja.

Not going with my SLK (to long to drive) so i'll just rent a car...
Old 06-02-2003, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
The problem with the fuel guage is very common. It's been a problem with several Mercedes models since at least 1996. The sending unit (the sensor in the fuel tank) needs to be replaced. I was told that certain types of fuel additives, specifically oxygenators like MTBE, can damage the sending unit over time.

My boss just took his '99 C280 to the dealership on friday to have this problem fixed for the second time. Luckily, he still has 5 months of warranty left so it won't cost him anything.

TKL, the station where you fillup your car has a broken shutoff system. There's no problem with the car that would prevent the system from shutting off immediately when the tank is full. I suggest you stop going to that station, because overfilling the tank can cause you to get liquid fuel in the vapor recovery system and when that happens the car may run like crap for several days until the fuel evaporates or until you take it to a shop and have the vapor recovery system purged.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:40 PM
TKL
Almost a Member!

SLK 320 (2002 Model)
Brian_R170

Thank you for the info, I'll stop from getting gas from this station.

In my last car when the gas gun shut off I allways was able to put 1 or 1.5 liters more of gas (to remove the cents from the bill, you know) .

But with SLK when the pump shut off. The tank is allways 99% full. Things go worse in the petrol station near my house, maybe presure of gas is very high and when the pump automatically shut off, tank is usually more than 100% full. so tank is allways overfilled,
Old 06-02-2003, 04:41 PM
TKL
Almost a Member!

SLK 320 (2002 Model)
Hi Pr0wler

I'm glad you are going to visit my area, you will enjoy your hollydays very much.

As you know Alicante is famous by its fantastic, beaches, sun, sea, and beautifull foreing and local chics, hehehe !!! who are also spending the hollyday time here !!!.
So good if you like nautical sports, and dancing untill late with horny girls. But there's not anything else interesting to do here.

Instead of some Roman, Arabian and Medieval castles around, and if you like the field and the forest maybe you will enjoy taking a walk in the Alicante Mountain, you can also visit Tabarca island (In front of Torrevieja), This area is full of Golf clubs if you like this sport. Maybe you may consider going to Guadalest (beautifull castle there), "Fuentes del Algar" (It's a river born-place, with some natural pools, falls, etc, to go with kids), and of course Benidorm area with tematic parks ("Aqualand" and "Port Aventura") for familly, and big macro discos and pubs for more serious leisure (Benidorm is like Ibiza, Torrevieja also has a very interesting night life)

Spain is a really rich country for culture and amazing things to see, but not in this area (we only care in tourist and nothing else, you know)

If you want to see something really amazing, take a car and go to Granada to visit "La Alhambra" (3 hours trip from Alicante more or less, heading SW). And if you have also time go to visit Toledo (4 hours trip from Alicante, heading NW). I promise you, you'll never forget this two towns.

Don't forget eat a "Paella" and drink "Sangria" and "Mentireta", and if you like it go to see a Bull Fighting show.

Enjoy
Old 06-02-2003, 04:46 PM
TKL
Almost a Member!

SLK 320 (2002 Model)
OOOppppss!!!

Big mistake, the name of the tematic park of Benidorm is not "Port Aventura", but "Terra Mitica".

BTW, I got my SLK in Germany and I drove it personally until Alicante (2000 km, Beautifull trip), so considering driving with your SLK from sweeden to here is not a nonsense.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:54 PM

1999 SLK 230 K
Thanks a Lot TKL!

Maybe you should start a buissness and sell touristinformation on the internet! , Very good and detailed tips!

I'll try to du as much on the list as i can!, and i'll lookout for any SLK!

Hope i can do the same for you some time if you ever come to Stockholm, Sweden!
Old 06-02-2003, 05:04 PM
TKL
Almost a Member!

SLK 320 (2002 Model)
I bet you can !!!!

I'm single, and I have allways loved to marry a Blonde, blonde, blonde swedish girl!!!

Just kidind, It has been a pleasure !!!

======================================
(but I really think swedish girls are really beautifull !!!)
Old 06-02-2003, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
I was in Spain in May/June of 2000. My wife and I rented a house near Allicante for one week, then we went on a tour of Andalusia for 10 days and stayed and the Paradores hotels in Granada, Ronda, Ceuta, Cordoba, Jaen, Carmona and Alarcon.

I definitely recommend the Parador in Granada. It's located right inside the Alhambra. It was around $200 per night when I was there, which was double the price of any other hotel we were in for the trip, but it was worth it.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:29 PM

MB SLK 200 Kompressor , BMW Z4
Why not 3/4 ..

I was told that i have to be careful about the level of gas by SLK owners .. not to fill it up 100%.
Also service warned me about the same problem, so i can say that i heard that story before.

When it is compared to Europe benzin is really cheap in States but that doesnt mean you have to always fill it up till it flows out .
Less fuel means less weight , energy saving , lower risk of fire etc..

Old 06-30-2003, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Originally posted by TKL
I bet you can !!!!

I'm single, and I have allways loved to marry a Blonde, blonde, blonde swedish girl!!!

Just kidind, It has been a pleasure !!!

======================================
(but I really think swedish girls are really beautifull !!!)
Check out; http://www.geocities.com/return2ios/ plenty of Sweeds on Holiday.

NP