SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: New SLK owner here...have some ?'s for you guys...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 SLK 230
Smile New SLK owner here...have some ?'s for you guys...

Well I just purchased my SLK 230. Silver with charcoal interior. The car has 11K miles on it so it'spractically new. The only thing that I don't like about it is th eblack trim around the bottom of the car...YUCK! Can that be painted silver to match?

What websites have aftermarket products for the SLK such as body kits, etc. I like the AMG kit but I don't wanna spend close to 3K on it. Any ideas where I can look?

Also...I have a set of 17" rims from my last car that I'd like to put on the SLK but I'm not sure if they'll fit. They are 17 x 8...the tires are 245/45/17...anybody know if they will fit in the wheel well?

Well thanks for the help guys...and girls

-Pat
Old 02-19-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
The cheapest way to get rid of the black skirt/aprons is to

1) buy a pair of aftermarket side skirts (AMG, Brabus, Lorinser, etc.) and have them painted to match your car

and 2) remove the black front and rear bumper skirts and have them sanded and painted to match your car.

Make sure you use a reputable shop to do the paint work. Some cheaper places will paint them but not add the flexible additive and the paint will start peeling off in a year.

It is possible to paint the sides below the doors without adding side skirts, but I've seen it and it doesn't look that good. The panels below the doors are textured so it they just don't look right after it's painted.

Also, the front and rear aprons probably won't come out totally smooth after sanding, so they'll have a matt finish instead of a gloss finish. I can point you to pics of a silver SLK that had this done.