SLK/R170: I'm driving a brand new car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230, MX6 LS
Talking I'm driving a brand new car!

Well, amidst all of the annoying electronic problems I've put up with, I think I've finally got one that worked in my favour (kinda)... I was driving home, after racing a Prowler (thats a different story), and my indicator lights stopped blinking. They'd come on, but they wouldn't flash. It wasn't the first time its happened, so I wasn't really concerned. I parked the car and pulled the indicator/dash fuse to see if it would help. I plugged it back in and much to my suprise, the odometer read 0!! The thing is the trip odometer still reads 936.5 or whatever it was, but the odo reads 000000. I restarted the car to see if it would come back, no luck. I even drove it around the block to see if it would actually count from 0, and it did!! I now have 2 kilometers on my my '98 SLK.

I wish I had a digi-cam so I could take a pic of my car with 2k on the odo but 900+ on the trip odo

More info when I figure out whats going on.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
That's pretty crazy. You have to be careful though cause if your car ends up as a TMU (Tru Mileage Unknown) the value is screwed. They keep records of all that, that's why they always get your mileage when they service the car, cahnge the oil, etc.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
hehehe that's pretty awesome
now all you gotta do is change your own oil until you reach whatever mileage you were at b4 and don't take your car to emissions til then either
Old 06-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK230, MX6 LS
Ok, I disconnected the battery and everything is back to normal. My mileage shows that I've actually driven to the moon and back. But now the question is, did it add the 2 kilometres I drove to the total?. If not... well, the rest of my thought is kinda obvious.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Originally posted by drpepper
But now the question is, did it add the 2 kilometres I drove to the total?
I'm pretty sure the odo reading is stored in some kind of Flash memory device in the ECU and not actually in the instrument cluster. Which means there's a 100% chance that the 2km were added to the total.

If not... well, the rest of my thought is kinda obvious.
We probably shouldn't go there.