SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: SLK washer bottle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
SLK washer bottle

The fluid pumping from my washer bottle stinks when I clean the windshield. Is it easy to extricate the washer bottle from the car to clean it out?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 07-09-2003, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
I don't think the bottle needs cleaning, I think what you're smelling is MB's winter forumula washer fluid. It cleans really well, it dries spot-free, and it won't freeze in the winter, but sure does stink. To me it smells like a mixture of vinegar and ethanol.

You could siphon out the fluid with a small tube and refill with a different kind of fluid, or if the bottle isn't very full, you could top it off with distilled water which will dilute the fluid and the odor.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:28 PM

SLK230
SLK washer bottle

Brian

Thanks for the advice. The smell is that of rotten eggs, rather than the smell of any washer fluid I have known.

What hits my screen would almost turn your stomach, hence the need, I think, to clean the bottle out with bleach before refilling with my preferred formula of water and RainX.

elf
Old 01-12-2004, 11:08 PM

SLK 230
That water bottle is located in the wheel well of the passenger side. You'll have to remove the tire and then remove the five or so screws that hold the plastic splash cover in place. Once that is removed you'll find the reservoir snuggly placed right under the tube where you fill it up. It is held in place by only a couple of screws, with connectors for the windshield washer and headlamp washer pumps.

In my opinion, it might be better to fill it up a couple of times with fresh water and let the pump go through the whole tank (but give it a rest of course because it is not designed to run continuously for so long). This way you also get to flush whatever lifeforms are colonizing the tubes that lead to the nozzles. You might even try using some mild mixture of water and dishwashing soap.