SLK/R170: Trying to get one tomorrow, but have a few questions first

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes C240 Desert Silver Java Interior
Trying to get one tomorrow, but have a few questions first

I decided i don't want to wait for the CLK cab so I'm going tomorrow to see if i can get a SLK 230. My questions follow:

Do the Xenon headlights look any different than the Halogen headlights? I don't care about what the light looks like, just what the headlights themselves look like.

I like the Special Edition very much, but I can't have a full charcoal interior (i want the beige). Is it possible to change the grill out?

Finally, for all of you with the '02 C-Coupe........what do you think of the engine and the transmission?

I'm kinda lazy, so dunno if its going to get to me to have to shift....is it worth the effort or should i go for automatic.

Thanks a bunch

Richard
Old 07-25-2003, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Re: Trying to get one tomorrow, but have a few questions first

Originally posted by RJamesC240
Do the Xenon headlights look any different than the Halogen headlights? I don't care about what the light looks like, just what the headlights themselves look like.
The headlamps look the same from the outside of the car.

I like the Special Edition very much, but I can't have a full charcoal interior (i want the beige). Is it possible to change the grill out?
Yes, the grill can be changed very easily. You don't even need to change it. It's actually very easy to take it out and just paint it yourself.

Finally, for all of you with the '02 C-Coupe........what do you think of the engine and the transmission?
If you need more opinions than just those from SLK owners, maybe ask in the C-class forum. BTW, ask somebody with a pulley upgrade what they think about it.

I'm kinda lazy, so dunno if its going to get to me to have to shift....is it worth the effort or should i go for automatic?
You should get the manual transmission only if you really enjoy shifting it yourself. Otherwise, get the automatic, or you'll be wishing you had a few months later. Plus, you will get all of the money you paid for the automatic back when you sell it or trade it in. Resale on MBs with M/Ts sucks!
Old 07-26-2003, 01:08 AM

2004 SLK Special Edition
I just traded in my 02 coupe for a special edition 2004 SLK. I enjoyed most aspects of that car except for the numerous problems. I think it has a great engine. It is a proven engine and although some have complaints about it, it is a near perfect fit in the SLK. The only complaint I had about it was the really flat torque curve, and the smoothness of it at higher revs. The engine has nice torque, but just when it starts to pull and you're thinking this is great, it just keeps on nice and steady, there really isn't a rush of power. This isn't really a problem unless you are used to turbocharged cars. Secondly the engine isn't ultra smooth but I also don't think it is a big issue. The M111 engine has proved itself to be a very reliable and long lasting engine, but I wouldn't label it "rev-happy." I really enjoyed the 6-speed transmission, so much that my 04 SLK has been ordered with it. Some people on the C-class forum complain about problems with smoothness, but it was never an issue for me. After about 10000 miles any issues were gone, after being slightly broken in. All of this is just my own opinion, but at the same time my last two cars we're RX-7's which are notorious for having the most smooth, peaky, rev-happy engines availablem\, and they also have really slick transmissions. I hope this helps. The only advice I can give you able the SLK verses a CLk is keep in mind that you are comparing a late 90's car with a new generation. I love the SLK which is why I ordered one, but at the same time there are plenty of perks to a CLK if you have the means. I noticed a number of features that my coupe had that the SLK doesn't have such as the SmartKey, an available Nav system, or the LCD data screen in the gauge pod that displays lots of great information. I'm sure I'll miss the MPG readout, or the ability to change car functions just by using the steering wheel. It all depends on what you really care about. I presonally trust Mercedes quality of the late 90's more than I do the latest generations which is why I traded in my C-coupe for an older generation car, even though it'll be 2004, much of the car has been around since 1998.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes C240 Desert Silver Java Interior
Well I test drove the SLK 230 at Houston North yesterday. I must say the exterior has grown on me very much the last few day. Its a very nice car. The top is amazing to me, but I've never seen it before so I was very impressed. The interior features and quality was a little disappointing. First, how come they don't use the smart key (I love it on my C-class) one of my favorite features. Second, I test drove one with a charcoal interior, and it looked cheap......very plasticy to me. But, personally, I love the C-class interior and expected something as nice or nicer. The wheel controls are missing, which sucks but no big deal. Primarily my problem was with the white interior roof. What is that all about? Looks really cheap.

I'm still thinking about it, and I'm kinda leaning towards getting it despite the disappointment with the interior. The new SLK won't come out until late next year I suspect, and the CLK has a long wait on it.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:09 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
I think the SmartKey issue is just because the car was originally built for the old flip key. I asked myself the same question though. Maybe it would have cost alot of money to change the cars key system this late in it's production run. As for the interior, I thought that the SLK's interior is of much greater quality than the C-class, but that is just my own opinion. I think the materials chosen for the SLK partly have to do with the fact that it is a convertible and MB was anticipating it being exposed to the elements more than the typical MB. I can't explain the white material in the top but I think you'd quickly forget about it if you owned the car. If you really want a CLK go pick on up in Austin or San Antonio. I am in the same position as you, I just traded in my C 230 Coupe for an 04 SLK. I also considered the CLK but the 320 is the only one I could come close to affording and there are still a few options I'd want to add. The SLK is going to be the most fun car to drive out of the two.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:14 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
As far as the wheel controls are concerned I think they were left off of the SLK because other than the radio controls there isn't alot to control. I wish the SLK had the LCD readout/data center but without it I guess they didn't see the need for wheel controls. I think that the wheel controls are going to be a quality issue on the C-class. Mine cracked last winter which is pretty ridiculous considering it really doesn't get that cold here. They replaced them but with the exact same thing which will likely crack for the next owner.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 320
[i]
I'm still thinking about it, and I'm kinda leaning towards getting it despite the disappointment with the interior. The new SLK won't come out until late next year I suspect, and the CLK has a long wait on it.
I would say just go for it. SLK is a fun car to drive, and you'll love it even more when it's sitting on your driveway. It's a nice fling to have before you settle with the CLK Cab.