SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Top leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
Top leaking

I have a 99 SLK 230 . Everytime I turn around it seems that parts start breaking down. The hydraulic cylinder that operates the latching mechanism for the top front latches is leaking. Bad enough to ruin the headliner . I took it to a shop to have it checked out and the cost of the cylinder is $600 plus new headliner plus installation.
What is the actual name of the unit and anybody know where I can get one cheaper?

Thanks for the help.
Desperate in the Carolinas
Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 75,xxx miles, 1998 SLK230 250,xxx miles
Here is one company that rebuilds them http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/20-r170-slk
Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 AM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
I am just starting to take the slk apart to get at the cylinder. One question . How do I get the trunk trim off? It looks as if I have to take the trunk lid off to get the panel off. Is that true? If so how do I get it off so the panel will come off without cutting it up.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
Got the trim off and exposed the pump. Tried to put top down and all the fluid has leaked out. Is there an alternative fluid I can use to fill the revervoir enough to get the top to come down to take the cylinder out? If so can I leave it inthe cylinder reservoir and add MB fluid to it ? MB is closed today and none of the parts places have MB fluids. Rain is coming and I want to have the thing out and sent to top hydraulics Monday. But that may not happen. Help is appreciated.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 PM

1996 MB E320
I think a lot of MB owners are not the DIY kinda people
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
I dont believe that. If one has mechanical skills and works on cars they will continue to do so regardless of what car it is. Its just what we mechanical guys do. I have turning wrenches since I was about 10. My dad would let me help him at his garage andI thouroughly enjoyed. When you pay a mechanic to fix your car you have no way knowing what they did to fix the car. I mean what they had to remove bend,or whatever to fix what was wrong. And in most cases they do a great job. To me its the satisfaction of me doing the repair knowing it was done right. And enjoying what I do. If I dont know what to do I ask and hope somebody knows what I need to get the job done. Thats what I am doing here today.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:19 PM

1996 MB E320
I was not referring to you earl I was thinking more of the MB owners. I am with you I try to fix my cars myself so I know it was done right. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
roof leaking

didnt mean to imply that you were referring to me. Not a problem. I am sorry I got things twisted around my teeth and couldnt say what I meant.

Now I have a problem. I ahve taken all the trim off the car the headliner is off exposing the actuator and the panels in the trunk are off as well. I have refilled the reservoir and tried to open the trunk and get the top in the upright position to start taking it out and the top wont move. The locks will unlock ,the trunk opens but the top wont move.
DO I :
1. manually open it/ How?
2. Relieve the pressure on it to get top cylinders to move> HOW ?
3. Do I keep working on recycling it until the pressure is equalized and then it will open ?
4. Do I take the guide pin mechanism off to get it to open?
5. Do I bleed the system ? How?

I am stuck for the moment and at a point I need to do this before I can go further.
Any help appreciated

Last edited by earld; 12-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM

SLK 230
Originally Posted by earld
I am stuck for the moment and at a point I need to do this before I can go further.
Any help appreciated
Check out this thread:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-cla...-rebuilds.html
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
Finally got cylinder back and installed after the monsoon rains for the past 6 days here. Wasnt as bad going in as coming out . Now I have the top not coming up or down. I have checked everything and see no issues. I am sure its one of those MB things. Any help making it work is appreciated . When I operate the switch the red light is on and flashing but no pump operation. I wil search the issue and see whats what .
Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 PM

SLK 230
Finally got cylinder back and installed after the monsoon rains for the past 6 days here. Wasnt as bad going in as coming out . Now I have the top not coming up or down. I have checked everything and see no issues. I am sure its one of those MB things. Any help making it work is appreciated . When I operate the switch the red light is on and flashing but no pump operation. I wil search the issue and see whats what .
May be you accidentally disconnected one of the switches... Also, check the pressure release screw on the pump. Another thing that I would think of is that:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-cla...d-my-roof.html
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
Thanks for the pics I will give it a look over. The pressure relief screw is ok. I did have some issuees with the wiring when I was putting it back in place .I could have broke one. Will check it out.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM

SLK 230
Yes, the plastic, rubber and wires become fragile due to its age =( I had to replace couple rubber hoses under the hood due to cracks which causes leaks. And the wire shell seems to be prone to cracks too! Hope you sort things out!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
Need clarification here.Just to make sure I am thinking properly. The top was taken to the open position about half way and stopped. then I removed cylinder and lines for repair. When I re installed the cylinder the cylinder arm retracted into the cylinder. It was attached to the locking arms. So, the front roof locks are in the locked position with the roof half open and the trunk open. I am thinking I need to disconnect the arms and reconnect them in the unlocked position and then maybe the roof will work ?
That way it is now the roof switches are closed and locked and it wont move because it thinks its already closed. Can I manually move the arms with out disconnecting them to the open position? Just relieve the pressure in the pump tank and move them ? Or disconnect them?

Last edited by earld; 01-19-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 PM

SLK 230
Need clarification here.Just to make sure I am thinking properly. The top was taken to the open position about half way and stopped. then I removed cylinder and lines for repair. When I re installed the cylinder the cylinder arm retracted into the cylinder. It was attached to the locking arms. So, the front roof locks are in the locked position with the roof half open and the trunk open. I am thinking I need to disconnect the arms and reconnect them in the unlocked position and then maybe the roof will work ?
That way it is now the roof switches are closed and locked and it wont move because it thinks its already closed. Can I manually move the arms with out disconnecting them to the open position? Just relieve the pressure in the pump tank and move them ? Or disconnect them?
I repaired mine without opening the top. Just with the roof closed. Simply removed the locking cylinder, released the pressure to pop open it and change the seal. According to your explanation it seems the roof is open and the rod is all the way in the cylinder. it should be in that position when the roof is closed and the locks are engaged. When the roof is open the locks are disengaged and the rod comes out all the way out of the cylinder. I would suggest releasing the pressure, so you can pull the rod out of the cylinder, thus it would disengage the locks. There are small rubber pads which are pressed by the locks letting the system know that the roof is locked/unlocked. May be that is your issue.
Refer to my post here: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-cla...tml#post337117

You can see this rubber pad on this picture (in the middle on the right):

There's a small switch right behind the rubber pad and you can hear it clicking if you press it manually.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
My cylinder has been repaired . Thats why I was installing it. It is now in the car and the top wont come down or go up. Light in the switch just flashes. I noticed last night that the cylinder is in the locked position with the top sitting halfway up . I thought maybe it was contacting the switches and giving the signal of a closed top . thus not moving .
Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM

SLK 230
My cylinder has been repaired . Thats why I was installing it. It is now in the car and the top wont come down or go up. Light in the switch just flashes. I noticed last night that the cylinder is in the locked position with the top sitting halfway up . I thought maybe it was contacting the switches and giving the signal of a closed top . thus not moving .
That's what I thought too from your explanation. hmm.. So you removed the whole cylinder with the lines. Then I would suggest checking the switches in the back. May they got disconnected somehow?! Did you remove the cylinder? Can you trace it back?
Visit http://www.slkworld.com/mercedes-ben...lk-class-cars/
and they have tons of info about the roof. I personally didn't experience any problems while repairing them or changing the top hydraulic fluid, so can't help you a lot in here. I would assume just switches. Since the send all the information about top down/up, etc.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
Ok tell me I'm stupid. Guess I am living upi to John Waynes quote. I was thinking as I was sitting in the slk trying to go over all the possibilities and I decided to start from square one. The top was up half way and trhe trunk was open. I relieved the pressure and closed the top manually and locked it. then I manually closed the trunk. Started the car and hit the down position and The trunk opened ,the pump was working . Hip Hip. But the top still wont come down. But the pump is ok. The front lock unlocks but wont move ,trunk opens as it should. So, not too bad . At least its working. Just have to find out why the top wont open. Opens fine manually. Oh well something to do tomorrow. Thanks for all the input you guys gave me . I appreciate it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM

SLK 230
Was glad to help! Post here the solution when you find it! Will be greatly appreciated!
Here are a few ideas from a fellow member of SLKWorld:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...ml#post3582000