Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 SLK 230
Re: clipping noise from stereo

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced a clipping sound from the stereo?

it sounds like there could be a bad contact for the power to the head unit.. and hence there is a once off clip sound from the speakers... just like when u turn on a big subwoofer or something.

Could anyone please shed some light on this...

Cheers

Andrew
Old 09-13-2003, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
I can't answer you question, but there were several different head units available in the SLK. Do you know which one you have?
Old 09-13-2003, 01:05 AM
Almost a Member!

'98 SLK 230
it is a tape deck head unit..

If it is the head unit... then I don't want to worry about it, as I am planning to get something new in there anyway.

I just have a funny feeling that it is not the head unit itself.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Almost a Member!

'98 SLK 230
There are no model numbers on my head unit so I have attached a pic of my head unit.

After thinking about the problem some more. I think it could be the power to the amp is not connected well.

I have a BOSE system in the car, which means it should have a BOSE amp, correct?

How do I get to the amp to check it out?

Also, is there anyway of getting better radio reception on this car without installing an external antenna.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 09-14-2003, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Originally posted by NOGO4U
There are no model numbers on my head unit so I have attached a pic of my head unit.

After thinking about the problem some more. I think it could be the power to the amp is not connected well.

I have a BOSE system in the car, which means it should have a BOSE amp, correct?

How do I get to the amp to check it out?

Also, is there anyway of getting better radio reception on this car without installing an external antenna.

Cheers

Andrew
That's one of the older head units. It was only used in the first year of SLK production.

Yes, the Bose option gives you a Bose amp and Bose speakers.

The BOSE amp is under the passenger's feet on US cars. I assume it's in the same place on right-hand-drive models. Pull up the carpet way up under the dash. I think there's a chunk of styrofoam that you have to pull out, once you get the carpet up.

The solution to the radio reception is to install an external antenna. There were so may complaints in 1997 and 1998 from Americans that the external antenna standard on US cars from 1999 though 2004. Radio stations aren't quite as close together here as they are in Europe. I suspect it's the same in Australia.