SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: SLK door locks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500sl
Question SLK door locks

I have a problem with the door lock on my SLK,can any one tell me how to remove the door card?, does the side airbag make it difficult? I need to get to the handle and lock , many thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 04:35 PM

'03 slk32 AMG
Are you sure you need to access the lock. These cars have trouble with the PSE unit in the trunk that controls the locks, lights and alarm. If any of those other systems are quirky, have the dealer chech your PSE unit for water damage.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:03 PM

500sl
Ive been told its a lock problem, everything else works fine, key goes in but will not release the doot lock. I will disconnect battery and then try to remove door trim without disturbing the air-bag!
Old 01-09-2004, 08:05 PM

'99 SLK 230
I checked alldatadiy.com. There is no special instruction provided regarding the airbag in the door panel removal procedure. To remove the air bag itself, the instructions say to disconnect the battery then remove the door panel. It sounds like you are approaching this the right way.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:36 PM

SLK 230
Removing the door panel is not hard at all, it is just a little tricky. I've had to do this a couple of times to adjust my window and glue some things that were coming apart because passengers had to "slam" the door to get it to shut. In any case, I haven't had any trouble with the airbag because it is embedded in a plastic casing that you'll probably won't even mess with.

There are three phillips screws holding the panel in place. To get to two of them you'll have to CAREFULLY pry the cover of the handle where your hand would normally hold on to when you are shutting the door from the inside. Try not to put any marks on the plastic. You'll see the screws on bottom and top of that section. The third screw is hidden behind the little plastic thingy that says ABS airbag. Just pull that off with your fingernail and you'll see it behind there. There is another small cover or two you must remove where the door meets the latch.

Now you can pull the panel upwards CAREFULLY since there might be some glue involved on the bottom part so feel around. Thre is a tongue in the middle of the panel that must come out of a notch before you can pull the panel away from the door and there is also a groove where the top of the panel fits close to the window.

Once loose, you'll have to negotiate the opening lever and the wires to the speaker, they snap off easily but don't force the panel away until you get those undone. Once the panel is removed, there is a plastic covering to the door openings that you may have to tear.

I believe the automatic locks are operated with air pressure (neumatic) so you'll see a plastic hose that reaches the lock mechanism.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:10 PM

500sl
many thanks for that detailed description on removing door trims!! I will try to do it this weekend.