SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Cold start of SLK230 ( with boost kit )

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
Cold start of SLK230 ( with boost kit )

I have a problem when I start my SLK 230 in the morning. The kompressor is activated from the start ( with idle rpm ) and this causes the engine, when I drive on the road, to run just like its backfireing. This disappear after aprox. 1-2 min. I suppose that because the kompressor is running, the mixture is too lean. If I turn the ignition key to off and start the engine again, there is no problem and the kompressor is now not running in idle rpm ( it is offcause activates with higher rpm ). My SLK do have a Kleemann boost kit mounted. Do someone know about its normal that the kompressor start in idle rpm when the engine is cold ? Do some of you, which have boost kit mounted, have the same problem?

Pls help

jens
Old 02-13-2004, 11:42 PM

2000 230 Sport
I don't have the Kleeman kit, but I can confirm that the kompressor (supercharger) does run at idle for a couple of minutes when cold on the SLK 230. During this period, the car uses the supercharger to pump air into the exhaust, providing an oxygen rich exhaust mixture, and "lighting off" the catalytic converters quicker. Mercedes cleverly thought of using the supercharger for this purpose instead of mounting a smog pump.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:49 PM

SLK230
Is it right that all users of boost-kit ( ASP, Kleemann with larger pulley) have no startup problems when engine is cold ??? We have now even changed the fuel pressure to 4.5, but same problem. Mercedes in DK donīt find any problem and wanīt me to replace the kit and mount the orig. pulley Kleemann have checked the car, but donīt find any problem on it and they say that they have sold so many boost-kits and have never heard about this problem.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:54 PM

SLK230
Is it right that all users of boost-kit ( ASP, Kleemann with larger pulley) have no startup problems when engine is cold ??? We have now even changed the fuel pressure to 4.5, but same problem. Mercedes in DK donīt find any problem and wanīt me to replace the kit and mount the orig. pulley Kleemann have checked the car, but donīt find any problem on it and they say that they have sold so many boost-kits and have never heard about this problem.