SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Air in Master Cylinder Reservoir

Old 05-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Crossfire Coupe
Cool Air in Master Cylinder Reservoir

new guy here with 08 Crossfire aka Slk320
the brakes were spongy when I bought the car last month
i replaced the rotors and pads and have bled thoroughly with almost 2 liters of pentosin Dot4
always got air, finally went to the Speed-bleeders and I have to say that they are awesome.
I stayed at the business end while my wife pumped the pedal
we did all 4 last night with the speed-bleeders and once again this morning, and got a fair amount of air out of all wheels.
I did get 2 good size air bubbles out of the lefty rear after sitting all night.
So, with that said I can pretty confidentially, say that the system has been bleed and that there is no air.
The pedal is better, but i feel that it is still spongy (not as much)when i run the engine.
with the engine off I get a high hard pedal.
the purpose of this post is to get some feedback on the photo of the reservoir back lit by my flashlight.
the reservoir is full but i can clearly see a compartment in the front that is topped with about 3/16"-1/4" of air, is this a normal situation?
Can someone in the group put the flashlight to the side of your reservoir and tell me what you see?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails Air in Master Cylinder Reservoir-master-cylinder.jpg  

Last edited by budaman; 05-15-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 SL320
Looks like you have air in the ABS Module, very difficult to get out without taking it to a place that can Autobleed the ABS Pump.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by budaman
new guy here with 08 Crossfire aka Slk320
the brakes were spongy when I bought the car last month
i replaced the rotors and pads and have bled thoroughly with almost 2 liters of pentosin Dot4
always got air, finally went to the Speed-bleeders and I have to say that they are awesome.
I stayed at the business end while my wife pumped the pedal
we did all 4 last night with the speed-bleeders and once again this morning, and got a fair amount of air out of all wheels.
I did get 2 good size air bubbles out of the lefty rear after sitting all night.
So, with that said I can pretty confidentially, say that the system has been bleed and that there is no air.
The pedal is better, but i feel that it is still spongy (not as much)when i run the engine.
with the engine off I get a high hard pedal.
the purpose of this post is to get some feedback on the photo of the reservoir back lit by my flashlight.
the reservoir is full but i can clearly see a compartment in the front that is topped with about 3/16"-1/4" of air, is this a normal situation?
Can someone in the group put the flashlight to the side of your reservoir and tell me what you see?
thanks
Did you get this sorted?