SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Need Help non starting 2001 SLK R170 200 Automatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK R170 200 2001 Automatic
Need Help non starting 2001 SLK R170 200 Automatic

Hello, I'm in Ireland, and due to our atrocious weather, I only use "my baby" for 3-6 months a year! We took it out of the garage last week, battery flat and husband charged it, it started and as the brakes were seized he drove it down the 1/4 mile drive and back again with his foot on the brake to try to get some of the rust off. Parked it and a couple of days later went to start it and NOTHING, lights on in dash,but it wouldnt turn over/crank. He trickle charged the battery, nothing! Changed it for another one, nothing. Hooked it up to another car and jump started it, nothing! Finally (he's a pretty handy car man) got under it and shorted the starter, and off she went. drove it around the house, turned it off and tried to start it again, NOTHING! hes been checking the wiring and there's power going to the solenoid from large wire from the battery but none on the smaller (starting trigger wire??) but again he shorted it and I drove it onto the main road, and noticed that it's not changing up through the gears, the little display on the dash that shows which gear it's in, is blank, so I turned around and back home, turned it off and tried starting it and still nothing. I also noticed that the ABS, handbrake/parking brake and other lights on the display are staying on, not going off as usually do when you start driving! My husband is recovering from lung cancer operation, and he's not up to doing a lot of strenuous work, but he's getting frustrated! Please can anyone help.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like a faulty ignition module--that ain't a DIY-----jump it and off to a shop that knows MB's or any Guinness bartender.