SLK/R170: BAS ESP Light Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK320 2001
BAS ESP Light Question

Hi
Immediately following an MOT test the BAS and ESP lights came on during the drive home and have been intermittently on/off for the past month. I also had and ABS light on once but only for around 24 hours. Tried the usual, changing brake light switch and turning steering lock to lock with no change. Clearly something got disturbed on the MOT test. So I had the codes read and got faults on offside rear wheel sensor and steering angle sensor (of course the lights stayed firmly off the whole day of the code read despite all efforts to get them back on)
After the code read I checked the rear wheel sensor connections. Unplugging the connector put the ABS light on, plugging it back in put the ABS light out again but no effect on my BAS/ESP light, still on (and yes, have driven again and done lock to lock). Now my query is this: If the rear wheel sensor was bad then surely it would put the ABS light on as well as BAS/ESP? It's a simple two wire sensor so if it fails for BAS/ESP then it must fail for ABS too? This points to me that the steering angle sensor is the more likely culprit and the wheel sensor only recorded a fault the 24 hours the ABS light came on. Can anybody confirm I am right about the rear sensor could not fail just for BAS/ESP and leave ABS functioning?
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-17-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
01 SLK230K AMG PACKAGE
I ran into the same problem with bas/esp. Mine went away after replacing the brake switch.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:24 PM

2001 SLK 320 and a 2011 C 350
ABS, BAS/ESP Lights ON

Dave, Did you get this resolved? I have the 2001 SLK 320, and absolutely love it! Just an owner here, no mechanical talent. I have to rely on local shop or dreaded Dealer. But I have the same problem, and I have been driving it anyway so far without obvious problems. However, now I notice rough idol at stop lights, and a hesitation on take off. It almost wants to die! Can this be the ESP? I don't understand what ESP accomplishes. If anything else could be the cause, I sometimes here what sounds like air escaping just for a second after taking off from a light. Anybody? Beuhler?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by Toolatenow
Dave, Did you get this resolved? I have the 2001 SLK 320, and absolutely love it! Just an owner here, no mechanical talent. I have to rely on local shop or dreaded Dealer. But I have the same problem, and I have been driving it anyway so far without obvious problems. However, now I notice rough idol at stop lights, and a hesitation on take off. It almost wants to die! Can this be the ESP? I don't understand what ESP accomplishes. If anything else could be the cause, I sometimes here what sounds like air escaping just for a second after taking off from a light. Anybody? Beuhler?
Could be one of several issues.
Simpliest first step would be to disconnect your MAF and see how it runs/idles without the MAF connected.
The MAF may just need to be cleaned with CRC MAF cleaner (In simple terminology, this senses the air intake into the throttle and makes the adjust the fuel/air mixture). This is a very easy DIY fix.
Or it may need to be replaced (another very easy DIY fix, if required).
The other issues may be the fuel filter, cats or the spark plugs need to be checked and possibly replaced if they haven been serviced.
Do a search on this topic on this forum and the w202 forum to get a better idea of the possible issues related to the cat and plugs.
Lots of info on the forums/solutions on this issue.
Also, you should get a scan done to see what codes are coming up or stored to point you in finer direction.

Last edited by khomer2; 10-02-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:49 PM

2001 SLK 320 and a 2011 C 350
Thank you! Appreciate your quick response. Will give your advice my attention.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
This may strike you as odd but I have had 12 MB cars and at some point everyone of them has exhibited this behaviour when in reality nothing was wrong.
Turn the igition on.
Turn the wheels to left full lock..
Then turn the wheels to full right lock and then all the way back to left full lock.
Turn the wheel to centre and shut off the ignition and leave it for 10 minutes and see if things reset.
You might just be surprised but has worked more times than I can count over the years.