SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Would you fit a bike rack onto your SLK ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 2008 registered SLK 280 Auto
Would you fit a bike rack onto your SLK ?

Hi to you all out there. A few years ago I searched for and discovered an absolutely amazing cycle rack that was intended for my - now sold - 2002 BMW 325Ci Convertible Auto.

It was/is a SARIS Bones 2 with a 2 bike capacity;the Saris 1 & Saris 3 were both unsuitable.
Not wanting to end-up searching for and buying another I got it out and blow me down after a very minor adjustments of the two straps that fit onto the forward edge of the boot lid it will do the job admirably.
There are six straps arranged in a harness that secure the rack by hooking onto the forward edge of the boot/trunk lid,the sides and the lower edge and large soft pads for protecting the paintwork.

A suitable registration plate will be displayed for legal purposes.

As with the BMW 325Ci where the hood goes into the boot space/dedicated 'Hood Box' the SLK will require the rack to be removed before the Vario roof can be operated for either situation.

The rack is an American made product and is constructed in both recyclable plastic (Grey) and machined Aluminium.
The system is really quite unique and with a wide range of potential positions that will adjust to suit a wide range of cars it is a must and will very very easily fold down and go back into the box that it came in.

I have attached images of the rack fitted onto the rear of the BMW 325Ci Convertible and will take some of the SLK shortly.