SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Beeping Noise When My Top Is Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SLK230
Beeping Noise When My Top Is Down

I have a 2002 Slk230, when I let my top down the knob that is used to let the top down turns red and flashes and there is a beeping sound that sounds like it is coming from the driver side of the car. It beeps and then it stops and then starts back again. The knob continues flashing even when the beeping sound pauses. Anyone knows what is causing this and how to fix it

Thanks
Ronald
Old 07-04-2019, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ronald1265
I have a 2002 Slk230, when I let my top down the knob that is used to let the top down turns red and flashes and there is a beeping sound that sounds like it is coming from the driver side of the car. It beeps and then it stops and then starts back again. The knob continues flashing even when the beeping sound pauses. Anyone knows what is causing this and how to fix it

Thanks
Ronald
Does the roof open and close fully and the windows go up and down normally? Are you opening or closing it with the car in motion?
If you are doing it when the car is moving the action should stop and the warning signal will come on if you are traveling too fast which is about 1/4 normal walking speed.
Explain more please
Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM

2002 SLK230
The car is parked not moving when opening and closing. It will not open or close if the car is moving. When opening it there is some hesitation for the top to go back and after I hit the top it goes back as normally and closes with no problem.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:36 PM

Slk230
Originally Posted by Ronald1265
The car is parked not moving when opening and closing. It will not open or close if the car is moving. When opening it there is some hesitation for the top to go back and after I hit the top it goes back as normally and closes with no problem.
did you ever figure this out?? Mine is driving me crazy! Top won't retract...I can live with that for now but the beeping!
Old 03-05-2023, 01:27 AM

SLK 230
I had the same problem. In my case the issue was that the roof was not fully locked when closed. There is a plastic cap next to the mirrors and if you remove it you will have access to a bolt; try to turn this bolt with a 6mm Allan key until the lock is fully closed; if it's not moving that means then that the closed roof micro switch is out of adjustment, or a wire is broken.
The flashing warning light and the annoying beep is to prevent driving with an unsecured roof.
There are videos about how to remove the headliner and access the locking piston and the micro-switches.