SLK/R170: Tips needed for prospective SLK Buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 SLK 230 Sport, '00 Infiniti G20t
Tips needed for prospective SLK Buyer

Hi,

This is my first post to this forum. I've been reading many of the threads and seems like this forum is pretty active.

Well, I just put my car for sale and hopefully will soon be looking to buy a 98-99 slk230 (will probably have 55-75k mi on it). I've read many reviews and ratings from various sources. As far as build quality and reliability it ranks very high, like JD's 5/5 for mechanical reliability. the 230 should be good enough for me. Im opting for an auto, though I love driving stick and miss it (I've developed some knee pain so can't risk it getting worse :/ ) I've owned japanese cars, so maintenance costs are of concern for me with the MB. Their engines are solid but when service is needed, it can cost. I do a good amount of maintenance on my own. I've heard of electrical problems and issues with the roof. Any comments on this? Is the adjustment of the roof difficult to do? Any things I should watch out for? does someone have the maintenance schedule? Other than usual oil changes, filter changes, drive belts, spark plugs, trans, diff, and other fluid changes, is there anything else in the maintenance? Do the supercharges go bad? ( I had a twin turbo 300zx and sold it before having to spend $4k replacing turbos).

Is there a service manual online I can browse?

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks,
Zo
Old 09-25-2004, 03:38 PM

Talking

I have a 2001 slk 200k and i have 85000 km.The only problem that i had so far was the roof. Under high temperature during the summer it couldn't be opened and in the service station the mechanic told me that it needed adjustment that i haven't done till now.
Also the front headlight has caught humidity from the inside and needs to be cleaned.
Another thing noticed is with the esp/bas sensor indicator that twice was turned on and also the low oil level indicator 5-6 times when i was driving fast in turns .
I really push a lot the car and if something had to happen it would have happened to me.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:46 PM

'00 SLK 230 Sport, '00 Infiniti G20t
thanks for the reply. is adjusting the roof a major thing? how much did it cost?

Anyone else have any additional comments?

Thanks,
Zo
Old 09-26-2004, 03:44 PM

I haven't repaired it yet and sometimes it's really a problem because i have to push the roof with my hand in order to open.
Anyway i don't think that repair is expensive.
Another thing that has to be mentioned are the gear boxes. Mine is automatic,no problem , but i 've heard a lot of stories about the manual ones,they have the same sensation and speed as the ones fitted in 1960's mercedes.They are totally for garbage.
In the new 2005 slk they finally solved this problem by making several modifications and now the sensation is really like a bmw's.