SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: AMG kit top of side skirt trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 R230 (Sold) 2000 SL Edition 320
AMG kit top of side skirt trim

I’ve recently purchased this 2001 6sp 320. It has a factory AMG kit.

Im puzzled about these carbon fiber look adhesive trims. I initially thought they were a feabay ricer addition but on closer inspection they appear sculpted to fit. However it also looks (from a vague line..) as though something else may have been removed.

I’m more than likely to be going to remove my skirts for wing/fender replacement so would like to know what’s best regarding trim here. I see the strip covers screws/fixings and looks quite well stuck down.

Should the car have had something different here from the factory? TIA

Edge is lifting but the strip appears sculpted and the 90 degree edge fits a space in the skirt.

It’s a 2001 AMG body package car

Last edited by silver50; 07-10-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
I believe that your initial thought was/is correct "feabay ricer addition" . I have owned 3 R170 AMGs (all full AMG SLK32s) and have never seen nor heard of that trim before. From the factory, that area is just the painted rocker cover only. Love the color of your car by the way. Here is a picture of one of mine, you can see the rocker cover is plain (and the sill cover is "AMG").
Cheers,

Chris

Old 07-11-2022, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 R230 (Sold) 2000 SL Edition 320
Originally Posted by latemodel21
I believe that your initial thought was/is correct "feabay ricer addition" . I have owned 3 R170 AMGs (all full AMG SLK32s) and have never seen nor heard of that trim before. From the factory, that area is just the painted rocker cover only. Love the color of your car by the way. Here is a picture of one of mine, you can see the rocker cover is plain (and the sill cover is "AMG").
Cheers,

Chris
Thanks Chris. My slightly different AMG kit seems to have an indentation along the top of the skirt with (certainly one) visible factory screw/fixing.
So it does make some sense that the area on mine would be covered.

I’m beginning to think the strip maybe is factory. Mainly because of how it fits the indentation where the screw lies.
Anyone with the exact same AMG kit confirm?

Last edited by silver50; 07-11-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by silver50
Thanks Chris. My slightly different AMG kit seems to have an indentation along the top of the skirt with (certainly one) visible factory screw/fixing.
So it does make some sense that the area on mine would be covered.

I’m beginning to think the strip maybe is factory. Mainly because of how it fits the indentation where the screw lies.
Anyone with the exact same AMG kit confirm?
Having seen this other picture, I have to agree that it seems more likely (than I could have imagined ) that it is something unusual from the factory. If you want to message me your VIN, I can send you a copy of your datacard (your car's build sheet including all options that came on it) AND, using your VIN, I can look your car up in the EPC (mercedes online parts catalog that lists the parts that were on your car) and we can see if it used some less-common rocker covers.

Cheers,
Chris