SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: AMG exhaust, cutting resonator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350 (R171)
AMG exhaust, cutting resonator?

hi everyone, I am wondering if cutting resonator when installing AMG exhaust to my slk350 hurts it's resale value.
my current situation is: SLK350 with sport package + AMG exhaust on stock bumper(and needs some cutting-edge job to fit the 4 pipes)
and .............possibly cutting resonator for more aggressive sound cuz AMG exhaust does not improve sound as much as it does appearance wise?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG; 1999 BMW X5
I would imagine it would void the warranty, I'm not positive about the resale value. Your modifying the stock parts with in mercedes' view, after market parts. Someone correct me if I am wrong in this situtation. If you wanted the four pipe look, in my opinion you should have purchased an SLK55.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:08 AM

2005 SLK350
or at least the AMG package...
Old 04-15-2005, 12:26 PM

2005 SLK350 (R171)
Unhappy

I do have the AMG sports package. it's a shame that MBUSA does not provide the complete AMG package for 350s including the quad muffler. I have already placed PO of quad exhaust from Germany and have to take it to local body shop for the fittment. I believe Europeans has the choice of quad exhaust option with their 350s.
I personally like MT. that's one of the reason, as well as longer waiting list on SLK 55 that I didn't go for it (Money too obviously lol). I am starting get a feeling that it would be a silly thing to cut the resonator of a car that just came out. may be I'll do it in 2-3 years time (if I still drive the car then)
Old 04-15-2005, 01:22 PM

2001 Infiniti QX4, 2005 SLK350
Removal of Resonators

When I first got my new (at the time) BMW 328Ci I removed both resonators and had them install a straight-pipe to my aftermarket muffler...
The sound was awesome! very deep and gurggly...
My dealer never did say anything to me about it. No probs for 2 years until it was totaled.

BUT, I'm sure in my case and especially with Merc-Benz... if there was to be any future problems, weather it is your wrong doing from adding aftermarket accessories or their bad for having faulty parts... rest assured that the blame will go to YOU! ...it's an easy way out for the car manufacture to point fingers & save $$$.

Like you, I've been kicking around the idea for a while. If I were you though, consider doing research and ask others about their experience in doing so... I know with some car designs, there have been problems with certain sensors (O2?) giving false readings after taking off exhaust components.

There is a video on the net somewhere with 2 SLRs on a track with an SLK55 (pace car) in between... supposedly the SLK55 in the video has a straight pipe, no resonators, and the sound is crazy loud... if you hear the video, the majority of the sound is from the SLK55 and not the 2 SLRs... Amazing.

Keep us posted!
Old 04-17-2005, 06:24 PM

2005 SLK350 (R171)
Angry engine warranty

I am not bothered about warranty on exhaust. what I fear is that dealer would make some conection between after-market amg exhaust causing engine failure and therefore voiding it too. I just think it's unfair for them to come up with some theory that a simple 'cutting &welding' job on exhaust caused unstable pressure problem that lead to engine failure....etc.
----> is this usually the case? the dealer stated that upon the exhaust job I am about to do, warranty on exhaust and "ENGINE" become void.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:51 PM

2005 SLK350
In most states, it is illegal for them to deny you warranty service unless they can PROVE, in a court of law, that your modification caused the problem. Further, they must do this on a case by case basis. IN other words, if they do prove that your exhaust mod caused Problem A in June, they must also prove that it caused Problem B in July separately.

I have no idea of the law where you are, but that is the law in NC. I worked in aftermarket electronics for 10 years, and never really had a problem but we were a very reputable company, doing work for nearly every dealer in the city to begin with.

THAT SAID: Do you really have the money to fight MB in court? Further, it is also illegal to weld in straight pipes in the state of NC, so I wouldn't expect much sympathy from the court system that your illegal mod caused a problem.

If I were you, I would forget it until the warranty is out.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK350 AMG, 2005 Hummer, Ducati998
new exhaust put on by dealer

I am putting on a new exhaust system on my SLK350 today and the dealer is putting the full system on the car and cutting the AMG casement around the dual pipes to fit. No mention of a warranty issue comes up unless you modify the engine or other specific vehical features. I would check with the dealer first. I could give you the email of the guy that helps me he is not your typical MB salesman he is a car nut just like all of us and he tells me straight up what is happenng and if I should or should not modify certain parts on my SLK350 to keep the warranty in tact. if you would like his email contact me and I will send it over.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silver SLK350
I am putting on a new exhaust system on my SLK350 today and the dealer is putting the full system on the car and cutting the AMG casement around the dual pipes to fit. No mention of a warranty issue comes up unless you modify the engine or other specific vehical features. I would check with the dealer first. I could give you the email of the guy that helps me he is not your typical MB salesman he is a car nut just like all of us and he tells me straight up what is happenng and if I should or should not modify certain parts on my SLK350 to keep the warranty in tact. if you would like his email contact me and I will send it over.
Your dealer is putting an Eisenmann exhaust on your car??? Wow!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:29 PM

2001 Infiniti QX4, 2005 SLK350
Warranty Q

Silver SLK350,
If you could possibly run this by your buddy...

I was thinking of swaping my exhaust out with an aftermarket one, and while doing so, remove my resonator(s) and install a straight pipe... would the typical MB Dealer think anything negative in doing so (ie--voiding the warranty)... This is my 1st MB and am not sure how MB deals with this.

Thanks!
MB-Joe
Old 04-30-2005, 04:03 AM

2005 SLK350 (R171)
Cool thanks!!

finally some positive answers! I was getting this feeling that the dealer would have no problem fixing my engine under warranty in case of failure as long as I do not approach them and ask "If I do that(or as I have done it), is my engine warranty void?"
after all, they are trained to give model answers aren't they? (unless the guy is really cool like yours)
my dealer sucks!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by stjoons
finally some positive answers! I was getting this feeling that the dealer would have no problem fixing my engine under warranty in case of failure as long as I do not approach them and ask "If I do that(or as I have done it), is my engine warranty void?"
after all, they are trained to give model answers aren't they? (unless the guy is really cool like yours)
my dealer sucks!!!

I will be talking t my dealer on Monday I am looking at getting the rear windscreen ordered. I will have him look at the site and maybe he could answer some questions.

Merey Motors# is who I deal with.
Steve Jones
Director of Special Projects/Sales and Leasing Consultant
email is listed at http://www.meraymotors.com/sales_team.html

Last edited by Silver SLK350; 05-01-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silver SLK350
I will be talking t my dealer on Monday I am looking at getting the rear windscreen ordered. I will have him look at the site and maybe he could answer some questions.

Merey Motors# is who I deal with.
Steve Jones
Director of Special Projects/Sales and Leasing Consultant
email is listed at http://www.meraymotors.com/sales_team.html

Is Frank still working at Merey???
Old 05-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Almost a Member!

If your talking about Frank in the shop yes he is he put the exhaust on for me.