SLK/R171: Cup Holder Alternative?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350 - firemist red & beige interior
Question Cup Holder Alternative?

(At the risk of being flamed by the, "You don't need no stinkin' cup holder when you're flying down the autobahn at 120 mph (or equivalent kh)" purists...)

I love my new SLK350, but I'm reluctant to use the dashboard cup holder because: (1) it minimally blocks a small part of the view out through the windshield, (2) it blocks one of the dash vents, but (most importantly) (3) anything that drips or spills through the open-bottom cup holder is going to splash on the COMAND screen or one of the many buttons on the dash (and THAT won't be cheap to un-gunk).

Have any of you come up with a suitable after-market cup holder that works in your SLK350 and isn't too tacky to put on such a nice vehicle? Thanks.

...Karl
Old 04-25-2005, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, I was discussing the cupholder issue with my wife over the weekend. I think it is soooooo stupid to place the cupholder underneath the air vents (I remember my ex-Golf GTI was like that also). I just dont understand what the guy was thinking when he designed the dash. What happen if I want to put a Coke there in the winter? The Coke will get cooked by the heat!!!!

I did try to look for an aftermarket cupholder. I found a Japanese made one that is mounted/hooked to the door panel. Since I dont want to the panel to have a mark on it, I didnt buy it.

My conclusion is: dont drink when you're driving alone. And if your wife is sitting beside you, her hand is your cupholder!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Harris
My conclusion is: if your wife is sitting beside you, her hand is your cupholder!
Maybe at YOUR house!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:37 PM

SLK 230
A Cupholder in a car....

Dear oh dear...you've just bought a £35k machine and you are worried about cup holders....you'll be asking for a cooler machine in there as well next! If you want a decent cupholder etc get a rolls royce or a bentley...a merc is to be driven fast!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by NeilC123
If you want a decent cupholder etc get a rolls royce or a bentley...a merc is to be driven fast!
Excellent point!

But if I had a rolls or a bentley, I'd have one of my "people" hold my drink while I drove.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:51 PM

If the Germans focus a little on our market you would have the best cup holder available. It cant be that hard. The ones on my Dodge Truck are the best ive seen. Adjustable and will handle a super big gulp to a can and anything in between. The technology obviously did not get transferred. They don't drink in there cars overseas and they figure its our problem. An engineer should be able to develope a holder that can be sold to all the manufactures that pops out of a hidden location and does the job. Lots of money to be made is someones does. High tech yet functional.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:06 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
I think it's important to remember that it is illegal to drink anything and drive in Germany, and I wish that was the law here. Americans spend thier time doing every stupid thing possible while driving, except for driving. And then spend thier time complaining about something as stupid as why the cupholders aren't good enough.

By the way, the reason the center console is so messed up on the 06 211s is for all of you idiots that want big cupholders! So stop complaining!!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by mbbodytech
And then spend thier time complaining about something as stupid as why the cupholders aren't good enough.

By the way, the reason the center console is so messed up on the 06 211s is for all of you idiots that want big cupholders! So stop complaining!!!!
As anticipated, I have been sufficiently flamed for asking a simple question. So very very sorry to have ventured into the world of elite car owners. Mia culpa.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:48 PM

2011 E63, 2018 AMG GT Convertible
Cup Holders

My wife's current SLK (a 98) has the cup holders above the vents, which doesn't work very well either. My E's cup holders are finicky at best, and small. I turned down getting a new CLK because it has but ONE cup holder. My wife and I do enjoy a drink while driving and we have different tastes. Anyway, I expressed our concerns to our MBZ salesman who said that it was NOT an uncommon complaint. We were/are considering getting an SLK55, but the comforts ARE important. Silly, but valid to us. You want me to pay the price, you deliver the goods the way I want them.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:59 PM

2005 SLK350
No, KarlS... Anyone flaming you is being a primadonna... Europeans don't get our lifestyle, so they don't count, but that's beside the point... I have the same issue... what moron decided to put the cupholder above a $2800 navi unit? That's more important to me than the vents frying the drink...

My ML430 has a similar issue... the cupholder is in a very convenient place, on the left of the instrument cluster, but still right in front of the air vent. Useless in the winter. I know the newer ML350/500 has a cupholder in the console, so they did address the issue eventually... (My dealer gives out ML350s for loaners)

My solution, and I hope it helps... I just drink reclosable 20 oz sodas. I do a lot of commuting, so I'm usually alone in the car. I find the passenger seat is the best drinkholder for a resealable bottle. It might roll around a little, but the car is small enough that it's never out of reach. I prefer cans, but I buy the bottles just for the drive...

Hope that helps...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by wil_sutton
Hope that helps...
Thanks... on several levels.

I usually only have a cup of coffee in the morning. It's not like I've got a Big Gulp or a beer.

I've decided to just put any drink I might have in the net on the passenger's side floor. Not ideal, since reaching for it means head-bobbing below the dashboard while reaching for it. But it'll do for now, and if it spills, it spills on the floor.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:17 PM

Cup holder alternative

Well I figured out an alternative. SHHH...Nissan makes a cup holder for the center console to fit inside the console compartment. Works great and it doesn't interfer with diving or comfort. Check it out part # NF OR4V PP-T. It fits a nissan 350Z roadster.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK350, 2006 ML350, 2006 CL500
Alternative for cup holder

I agree that the location for the cup holder on the SLK350 is very poor. I did find a useful alternative. I didn't purchase the comfort package on my SLK. Thus in order to adjust my seat I have a black control handle on the front right of my seat that sits very close to the floor. I can slide a large size cup between this handle, the center console and the seat. The cup sits at a slight angle, so it is best to consume about 10% - 20% of your beverage before doing this. However once you do, it works just fine.
So for those that didn't purchase the comfort package, you may want to try this. Not a perfect solution, but a good alternative

Bill