SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: When has your check oil light come on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When has your check oil light come on

Wife called today and said here check oil light came on yesterday. Car has only 1200 miles on it!!!! I checked after reading some posts on here regarding oil consumption. I was concerned because the car will let of a oil cloud smoke upon start up that is worse then my highly moded out cummins turbo diesel. And I am not kidding. I think I will start them both up at the same time this weekend and do a cloud of smoke comparison picture. The SLK will be worse!!!! The dealer had told be the car has no dip stick at the time of sale- wrong. At 700 miles the dip stick check showed down slightly but not enough to worry about adding anything. I am starting to get a little PO at this point. I never addded a drop of oil to any of the dozen or more new vehicles I have purchased including my Z06 which is driven vary hard. To pay this kinda of money and now I have to monitor the oil and play this game for my wife. I am not impressed. I heard MB has had a parts problem in 25% of these cars can be oil burners. Not a happy camper today. I will let everyone know how much oil I have to add today to top it off. Have to track down the oil first. Think I should buy a case from what it looks like now. Where is the extra oil carrier on this car. You go on a long trip I will need more space for oil then luggage.
DISGUST.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
I hear it's normal even for new cars to add some oil before the first service. I've read many people having to do this and after the initial add, no problems.

Now, if you had to add oil constantly every few thousand miles, then I think there's a problem but add the quart or however much you need, if its down to the min level, should only need a quart. after that, monitor it, shouldn't need any after that.

good luck
Old 04-29-2005, 01:23 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
Some oil use is normal (less than a quart for the first few thousand miles) as the rings break in, however if you are getting large clouds of blue smoke that is NOT normal. Track how much oil use there is and get back to the dealer with the amount and miles and be sure to ask them about the smoke issue.
They can check several things, ie plugs, compression, etc to see if you have a seal problem in the heads or a ring problem or ?.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 PM

2005 SLK350
I hate that you're having a bad experience. I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but for what it's worth, I think you may have just gotten one that needs a few kinks worked out. I haven't had any issues since the initial little quirks were worked out. Never had the exhaust smoke at all. Got 10,000 miles and the oil looks good, says I need to change it in about 3200 miles.

I was told it had no dipstick too... turns out that's just the AMG, so I'm guessing whoever did their training messed that one up.

Between that, the transmission, and all the other little things, I don't blame you for being a little upset. I would be too. I hope it all works out for you...
Old 04-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Not a good first MB experience so far. I fired the car today in the garage and no smoke. Seems to only happen if it sits for 3 days or more which has only been once or twice. Need to go track the oil down an see what it needs. I am thinking 1 to 2 quarts I will post the results. I left a message to my service manager regarding the issue and 2 hours later not a word from them. They had it for service the last time and my wife didn't get 2 miles for the dealer when the tranny quit. You would think they would have checked the fluid when they had the car for 3 days. Obviously not.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:43 PM

2005 SLK350
Make sure you use that Mobil 1... I think they're the only ones making a 0 weight oil anyway, and it would be impossible for me to find in my small town without a MB dealer. You may actually have to buy it from them, as I believe Mobil 1 developed it just for the SL series initially and I don't know if any other manufacturer is using it yet...

Mine is just a good weather/fun car (even with 10k miles on it! weather's been nice the last three months)... so it routinely sits for a week or so without being driven and still have no smoke issues... I understand that it's going to happen a little with a brand new engine, but if you're more than a quart low something strange is going on and it needs to be addressed...
Old 04-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK350 - firemist red & beige interior
Originally Posted by wil_sutton
Make sure you use that Mobil 1... I think they're the only ones making a 0 weight oil anyway.
My dipstick shows the oil level at the very bottom of the limit, so I thought I'd get a quart to top it off. (I never checked it until maybe 600 miles, so don't know whether it was correctly filled to mid-range or better at delivery).

Imagine my surprise when I couldn't find the Mobil 1 specs/weight in the owner's manual. It may be in there somewhere among the 450 pages (not including the 250 pages manual for the COMAND system), but I'll be darned if I could find it. Even the dealer's parts counter didn't know, and was only able to find it after entering the VIN into their parts terminal. So I broke-down and purchased a couple quarts from M-B.

Luckily, at almost 1000 miles, I've not seen any blue smoke on start-up yet,... even when the car's sat in the garage for a week during nasty weather.

...Karl
Old 05-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK350 AMG, 2005 Hummer, Ducati998
I had my oil light come on just recently and I just brought it into the dealer and he topped it off without a charge. I look at it this way we pay this kind of price for a car why should we get our hands dirty. This is what we pay for good service. We are dealing with a high end machine and deserve the customer respect along with it. If your dealer does not give you the respect and Customer service then switch, goto a different MB dealer.
If they want your return busines they will work with you. So my suggestion is bring your car in leave it for service and have it topped with new oil at their expense.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 AM

My dealer offered me free oil when I called them to log the information. They are 60 miles from me it was less hassel to just buy it for $5 a quart no biggie.
My concern is this is going to be an ongoing issue. I am hoping MB uses a lighter break in oil in these motors and this is all part of the break in process and the oil consumption will stop. I have owned plenty of high performance vechicles and I never had to add any oil including my Z06 Vette. My oil level was at the lower limit of the bar bell end on the stick. 1 quart brought it almost to the top. When the light comes on you must be a quart low. I will now watch it closely. Problem is its my wifes car and I don't want to be under the hood all the time!!!