SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Things that annoy you

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 350 AMG
Things that annoy you

Although the SLK is a great fun car to drive, there are still a few things about it that aren't perfect. I wonder if other people feel the same way. Here are the things which I find mildly annoying:

1) I've lost count how often my left foot catches the hood latch and opens the hood when exiting the car.
2) I also can't avoid beating up the HK speakers with my left foot - unless the door is very wide open. (The size of my garage doesn't give me that luxury.)
3) The door pockets look pretty basic for a $60K car. They should at least be a solid molding, not elasticized leather.
4) I have to smile everytime I read the wording for the start-up screen: "Caution: Using COMAND may not divert your attention away from road and traffic"? (I assume "may not" should have read "must not", or at least, they should have dropped the word "not". Maybe MB should be looking for a new translator.)
5) That ugly antenna, which is identical to the one on my VW Passat.
6) No availabilty of adding individual features unless the car is ordered with the complete package. All I want is a simple garage door button; is that too much to ask for?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:17 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Essellkay350
6) No availabilty of adding individual features unless the car is ordered with the complete package. All I want is a simple garage door button; is that too much to ask for?
I agree on those 2 points and wish the auto was a little more controllable. Other than that, I'm a happy camper.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1-4 dont really bother me much, maybe I am not a big guy.

I donty know why they cant utilize the SL antenna and make it better. I know they probably cant integrate it into the rear windows 'cause the reception will be very poor when top is down. Someone tried to put the SL antenna on a SLK and the lock/unlock range is greatly affected.

Is the garage door opener a feature within an option? I thought it comes with every car now.

What annoy me the most is there is no remote trunk release in the cabin and the steering wheel is blocking most of the important info on the dash (such as the radio station or the mileage readings).
Old 05-12-2005, 12:56 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Harris
What annoy me the most is there is no remote trunk release in the cabin and the steering wheel is blocking most of the important info on the dash (such as the radio station or the mileage readings).
Harris, sorry for a dumb question, but... Why don't you simply move your steering wheel? Or is at a comfortable position AND still blocks the lcd display?

Dan
Old 05-12-2005, 01:21 AM

SLK 350 AMG
Is the garage door opener a feature within an option? I thought it comes with every car now.

What annoy me the most is there is no remote trunk release in the cabin.
Harris, The garage door opener only comes with the Premium Package. As for the trunk release, at least the trunk is always unlocked (unless you lock the car with the console button, or lock the car remotely with the key); the only advantage of a remote release would be to pop the trunk for you, rather than use the handle.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dsb: I always like to line up the steering wheel with the top of the dash. And that seems to block my view on the display. Too low would be too low for me, the highest position is not helping much.

Essellkay350: oh, I see. 'Cause in Canada I think the garage door opener is standard on the SLK.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:55 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I'm about 1m80, never had problems with my left foot opening the hood of any of my MB's (or other cars where the hood opening lever is located like on the SLK).

I prefer the elastic side pocket, easier to put and remove stuff from it, but I do agree that an SL/Boxster style side pocket that 'widens' when you open it up is also a nice thing to have. At least it's in leather...
Old 05-12-2005, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Essellkay350
Although the SLK is a great fun car to drive, there are still a few things about it that aren't perfect. I wonder if other people feel the same way. Here are the things which I find mildly annoying:

1) I've lost count how often my left foot catches the hood latch and opens the hood when exiting the car.
2) I also can't avoid beating up the HK speakers with my left foot - unless the door is very wide open. (The size of my garage doesn't give me that luxury.)
3) The door pockets look pretty basic for a $60K car. They should at least be a solid molding, not elasticized leather.
4) I have to smile everytime I read the wording for the start-up screen: "Caution: Using COMAND may not divert your attention away from road and traffic"? (I assume "may not" should have read "must not", or at least, they should have dropped the word "not". Maybe MB should be looking for a new translator.)

I have an answer to #5. You can buy the SL antenna to replace it. It's a direct fit.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:19 PM

06' CLS 500
The only thing that annoys me is when passengers get into my car and leave scuff marks because they are not used to getting into a SLK. I believe its because the SLK is smaller and lower than most cars and people have a hard time getting in and out.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:53 PM

I have caught the hood release several times already and have not driven the car that much, but I can see where is an issue. I also agree with the steering wheel issue. In the best location for me it totally blocks the read out.
There is no remote truck release because if you leave the car parked with the top down, which I only do if I am running in somewhere for a few minutes, any one could pop the trunk and steal its contents. Smart thinking
on MB's part. Plus as stated earlier the trunk is unlocked when the car is unlocked. I still always look for the remote release out of habbit everytime the truck cover is unlatched and I want to put the top down. Wife does that all the time and it drives me nuts. Just shut it after you empty the trunk, LOL.
The cup holder- heater is joke also. But thats an American think. No big gulp for you.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:17 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by redvettx2
There is no remote truck release because if you leave the car parked with the top down, which I only do if I am running in somewhere for a few minutes, any one could pop the trunk and steal its contents. Smart thinking
on MB's part.
AHHHH. That totally makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:16 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by dsb
AHHHH. That totally makes sense. Thanks for the info.
That's not necessarily true because some cars go into sleep mode and the electrical components are turned off after a couple idle minutes. Even with the top down, the trunk button could be made to not release the trunk.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:03 PM

2005 SLK350
Plus if someone reaches in and pops the remote trunk release (or if they reach in and hit the unlock button on the dash, for that matter), it should set off the alarm. No trunk release doesn't bother me at all because the trunk is unlocked when you exit the car anyway. If the trunk pop from the remote actually opened it more than a couple of inches, it might be nice when you've got an armload. A lot of cars pop the trunk a good foot or so from release (like Honda), rather than just releasing the catch, like MB.

There are only a few things that really annoy me, like the white scuff marks on the interior we've all moaned about. The drink holder/heater issue doesn't bother me as much as the drink holder dripping all over a $2800 Navi option does. I'm a little annoyed that there's no good place to keep the manual, unless you take out the first aid kit and stick it in there.

Oh, and I'm always annoyed to ride in the passenger seat for obvious reasons, but it wasn't until last week that I realized how much more shallow the passenger footwell is than the driver's foot well. My ex-girlfriend always complained about it, but she complained about a lot of things so I never worried about it. Wasn't till I was too drunk to drive home and my brother drove that I noticed how much shorter that well is...

Minor details to an otherwise thrilling drive though, in my opinion...
Old 05-14-2005, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Don't have my car yet, will pick it up in Germany July 25th.

The CD changer is out of date, almost every Japanese car has an in dash 6 disc changer. Why does the new CLS has it and not every other models? I was browsing the MBUSA website for the CLS and here's what I found.

320 Entertainment Package
Entertainment Package: harman/kardon LOGIC7 digital surround sound system. Integrated single-feed in-dash 6-disc CD changer

Since the CLS is a 06' model, one would assume they do the same with the SLK, that will also give us a real glove box.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Almost a Member!

I keep hitting the cruise lever instead of the turn signal lever. The cruise should have been shorter.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Almost a Member!

I also agree that there should be in dash 6 disc changer. Chrysler has it in every one of there cars.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Smile Ergonomics

Originally Posted by jak112460
I keep hitting the cruise lever instead of the turn signal lever. The cruise should have been shorter.
I did that for about 3 weeks, but now the position of the lever is natural. If the CC lever were shorter, it would be harder to use.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:32 PM

2005 SLK350
dsb: I always like to line up the steering wheel with the top of the dash. And that seems to block my view on the display. Too low would be too low for me, the highest position is not helping much.

Essellkay350: oh, I see. 'Cause in Canada I think the garage door opener is standard on the SLK.
i have that same problem... nothing major, but does kind of irk me
Old 11-29-2005, 05:29 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Although I love this car, and enjoy it every time I get in to drive it, my only complaints revolve around the primitive nature of the electronics, particularly related to the command display.

It drives me crazy to see this big beautiful color LCD display in the dash, and nothing on it but a big station frequency when it is on the radio. I have been in cheap new Chevys that display the station ID, and even the current song title coming in over the airwaves. Now that I have the iPod option installed it is even more frustrating: The screen is blank, and I have to use the simple single line LED display between the speedometer and tach.

I also don't like having to page through LED page after LED page to see something simple like the engine temperature. If I have that big Command display, and if all that information is in a computer memory somewhere, why can't I have a master display screen that shows things like: Time, engine temp, oil pressure, odometer, gas mileage, current station, song, etc. all at once?

It would seem that it would only need a software upgrade to do all of these things. And somewhere in my dreams I think that there might someday be a software upgrade (which would of course cost $700 at the dealership for a 2 minute update), but I doubt it.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:26 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
:v Three observations. First, the antenna is el cheapo. Beautiful car, "they" could have done better. Why not a small 2-3" antenna centered above the windshield, out of the way. Second issue, I keep using the cruise control lever for the turn signals. Third, I agree, make some of the options, NAV, Sat radio, etc., available as an add-on after purchase.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Because this IS an EL CHEAPO Car.... All of it annoyed me and that is why I got rid of this pile of $#@T over three months ago. I just came back to see what was going on here and all of you guys are still complaining about your cars. Go w/ a Boxster S. Now that is a nice car worth driving. That is for a girly car. Because real men or men w/ money do not drive SLKs or Boxsters anyway. We drive SLs and 911s. The SLK was the wife's car and now she is happy w/ her Porsche. I am happy too. Cheers.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by doccyber
Because this IS an EL CHEAPO Car.... All of it annoyed me and that is why I got rid of this pile of $#@T over three months ago. I just came back to see what was going on here and all of you guys are still complaining about your cars. Go w/ a Boxster S. Now that is a nice car worth driving. That is for a girly car. Because real men or men w/ money do not drive SLKs or Boxsters anyway. We drive SLs and 911s. The SLK was the wife's car and now she is happy w/ her Porsche. I am happy too. Cheers.
:v We're just being objective. Only Ferdinand Porsche and Henry Ford had no complaints with their cars. Most everything can be improved and refined.