SLK/R171: SLK Sound system question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK200K
Question SLK Sound system question

Hi all,

I've ordered my new SLK with COMMAND and NAV (a $9k option in australia!), and am currently awaiting delivery, which is about 25 days away. unfortunately it's really hard to get some good information about the sound systems in these vehicles from dealers, etc.

I have some in-car audio gear from my previous E-Class that I want to install into the vehicle. I've read previous posts and it has been indicated that integrating new head units into the vehicle is a bit of a nightmare job. That's fine with me though, as I'm happy with the command unit. What I want to do is find a way to get as many of the following speakers into the car as i can:

* Boston 6.5 inch splits (woofer and tweeter)
* Blaupunkt 4 inch coaxials
* Kicker 5.25 inch coaxials
* 2 Precision power 4 channel amps
* 1 Sony Sub-Amb
* I think I need to buy one of those Pioneer or Earthquake flat subs for the wheel well.

What I need is some indication of the diameter, an most importantly *depth* of the individual speaker wells.

While i'm sure that there's no provision to use RCA (low level input) from the back of the Command our Audio Gateway (please correct me if i'm wrong), I'm assuming that there must be some analogue output on the back of the audio-gateway (it has to be analogue at some stage, otherwise it couldn't run speakers) that could be used to run high-level input into the abovementioned amplifiers, however I really have knowldege of how these Mercedes head units work,

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks guys/girls
Old 07-16-2005, 01:11 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Where there is a will there is a way, but with open air motoring the sound will never be as good as it was in your E. Get an IPOD for your passenger and have him/her plug in a set of Bose headphones and at at least one of you will have a decent audio experience.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
you can get line level converter to integrate from the command headunit to your aftermarket amp, i did that to my e class. Not sure about the door speaker, but since u'll be getting an amp, i'm sure 6.5 or less will do just fine. Boston splits/components and one decent sub will do the job (Pioneer, or Blaupunkt flat subs, want more SQ?? try Phase Aliante). Your choice of Amps is great. Get one 4 channel that is bridgeable and one mono for the sub. Dunno about command HU, but the normal one just plain sucks, sloppy and inaccurate.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by W0n6_3d4n
you can get line level converter to integrate from the command headunit to your aftermarket amp, i did that to my e class. Not sure about the door speaker, but since u'll be getting an amp, i'm sure 6.5 or less will do just fine. Boston splits/components and one decent sub will do the job (Pioneer, or Blaupunkt flat subs, want more SQ?? try Phase Aliante). Your choice of Amps is great. Get one 4 channel that is bridgeable and one mono for the sub. Dunno about command HU, but the normal one just plain sucks, sloppy and inaccurate.
In cars with COMAND there is only an audio gateway. At least Harmon Kardon is a factory option in any event.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:44 PM

2006 SLK200K
Thanks for all the advice everyone, one question I do have, Benzmodz, wouldn't it be possible to place a line level converter on the other side of the audio gateway, I mean the signal has to be analogue at some stage in order to drive the speakers. I know that I'm sacrificing SQ due to use of high-level inputs, but I guess that's something i'm going to have to live with.

Does anyone know of anything that won't make it possible to get an analogue signal from the other side of the audio gateway?

Does anyone know where in the car this audio gateway is located?

Cheers
Old 07-19-2005, 11:34 PM

2005 SLK350
It's been my experience that the only way to do integrate aftermarket speakers is with a "Soundgate" (brand) fiber converter in past MB fiber systems (which is almost all of them since about 1998). In some cars, the amplifier is actually built into the speaker. I doubt that's the case in the SLK because I doubt there's room for it in the doors. In any case, often the factory speakers operate outside the norm for impedence. In other words, your Bostons operate at 4 Ohms, whereas the factory speakers may operate anywhere from 1/4 Ohm on up to as high as 6 Ohms, which would really give you issues using a standard line level converter. Because of the impedence differences, it is highly unlikely that you could find any useable analog signal anywhere in the system.

Is anybody still with me?

The bottom line is that, in the seven years I worked in the car stereo business, for a highly respected aftermarket dealer, we never once attempted to do anything to an MB Fiber-optic system without either using the Soundgate brand adapter, or without ripping EVERYTHING out of the car, custom building a new faceplate, and starting completely from scratch, right down to the last copper wire.

That's not to say that no one might try. One would have to be either insane or incredibly good in order to pull it off.

Soundgate can be found at http://www.soundgate.com. However, I can't find the relevant part on their website. They do not take very good care of it.

Hope that's helpful. I'll check back in a couple of days to see if I can answer any new questions.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:51 AM

JL Audio have a new product out that should fit the bill, the CLEAN SWEEP :-

http://www.jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

Check out the pdf's for a bit more info at the bottom.

Also, no I don't have one or am affiliated with JL.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:53 AM

2006 SLK200K
Thanks for the replies everyone... Wil, I checked with the Tech Servce guy at my dealership, and he said that the speakers all used standard 4ohm output. I'm thinking of giving it a go using the high level inputs on my amps, and maybe one of the cleansweep units PhilB suggested, if ii can find one here in oz. If this is th e case, we should be right? shouldn't we??