SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: This is one cheap and horrible car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear ya, but they really need to differentiate the 911 from the boxster somehow. This new "cayman" is only making matters worse.

I dunno, at the end of the day they are making more money so I guess in that respect they are making the right moves.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well lots of folks love the Boxster, and I doubt the Cayman will be different. In the end, it's always just habit that hates the new models.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Almost a Member!

All I am saying is that the boxster has stolen too much of the 911's image and as a result the image has suffered. They need to differentiate thes two cars. They look the same. The interiors are identical. The performance is similar.

Is the 911 really an overpriced boxster?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Or is the Boxster an underpriced 911?

What about the Cayenne
Old 08-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Almost a Member!

The cayenne is an overpirced touareg with no diesel option

And dealer invoice on a 911 is around 40K under MSRP. So the 911 is an overpriced boxster
Old 08-13-2005, 07:49 PM

40K under MSRP sounds fishy. Seriously, I highly doubt ANY production car has such a high profit % (40K under MSRP meaning Porsches are making close to 1/2 of profit out of MSRP??)

Any how, for 993 having better resale values is due to the fact that 993 is the last air-cool Porsche, and is considered to be the last "true-to-the-root" 911..... And of course, rarity keeps the price up as well.....
Old 08-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Almost a Member!

So finally got the car back from the bodyshop. Took it in on 7/21 and they are finally done w/ it today !!!!! They put in the wrong bumper with the headlight washing system for the HID lights which I do not have. So when you lift the covers there are no nozzles just an empty space. Told them about it, but I guess it is ok for now. All I have to say the Keyes Bodyshop in Van Nuys, CA are extremely slow, they do not work w/ any Insurance companies directly so everything has to be approved individually and it takes longer. They do work closely w/ the dealer's repair shop and so they were "highly" recommended. Honestly I do not know what to do anymore after not having the car for almost a month I did miss it, specially after driving crappy rental cars ( Nissan Sentra and a Chevy Cobalt). I am happy to be back. We shall see what the future holds.

BTW I kind of dig how this post became one of the most viewed and responded posts on this forum

Last edited by doccyber; 08-16-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:23 AM

SLK 55 AMG
heh, well... you do know that controversy is the biggest attention getter (or something like that).

But damn, that DOES sound slow. Why not look for some other place to do the job? Especially if they fitted the wrong bumper and stuff... you sure have some patience if you just shrugged it off like that, I personally wouldn't let them get away with it.

Anyway, concerning the squeaks and rattles, there's been some more talk about it, and some people have been receiving new roof hinges. Your car might have been one of the bad batches... And btw, for those who don't know, it's a company owned by Porsche who delivers the roof structure and mechanism to MB, so if there's a problem with it, it's not necessarily MB's fault. They just string everything together, so if the original piece was faulty, then MB is not 100% at fault.

Still, it IS quite a pain in the a$$, so hope you get it sorted.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by doccyber
...Honestly don't tell me that roof mechanism does not rattle like crazy.
The roof only rattles in some cars. I have done about 1,500 km in an R171 with almost 30,000 km on the odo and there was no noise from the roof up or down once I moved the passenger belt buckle away from the side panels.

The roof mechanism is probably more complex than others so I think noise issues may have to do with the level of expertise of the mechanic who does the pre-delivery preparation at the dealership.

It is also probably a matter of personal taste but I really do not like Porsche interiors (or exteriors) - IMO, neither elegant nor interesting by any stretch of the imagination.

Reno