SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Volume control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volume control

I have the Premium sound system with DVD navigation option. It is advertised to automatically adjust radio volume for speed an ambient noise. There is a microphone in the mirror to pick up road noise. Unfortunately I have had my vehicle at the dealer on 10 separate occasions to try and fix this. They have replaced multiple components and it does not alter the volume of the radio in any way. The dealer has tested this with an oscilloscope and other sophisticated equipment and says that this is the way it was intended to work. Does anyone else have this problem or is ther anyone that has a volume control adjustment that works as advertised?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BE HAPPY THAT IT DOES NOT WORK!!!

This option will tend to be come very annoying, as you will find yourself constantly turning the volume up. Search the threads, many have tried and/or do disconnect the mic to prevent the radio from changing volumes.

The lowest setting is 3db which still is annoying when driving with windows down and comming to a stop then speeding up a little and stopping again. the volume gets lower and lower and lower.

Dealer will not (can not) disable this system.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:09 AM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
I had mine change once to the 9db setting and then to the 12db setting. I can't tell a difference.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:47 PM

SLK 350 AMG
This has been talked about to death.

Most people say that they have to keep adjusting the volume up and down, and that the auto-volume feature doesn't appear to work.

A (very) few people have said that it works fine for them.

Even fewer people have said that their service guy told them that this feature had been turned off in the software.

The bottom line seems to be that no-one really knows how to test it out effectively, and we all have to live with it (i.e. not working as you'd expect).