Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this review accurate?

Consumer Guide® Road Test Ratings
Acceleration

SLK350, auto. SLK350 w/Sport Pkg., man. Class Average
7 8 8.2

No opportunity yet to test SLK55. SLK350 has ample thrust from any speed. Mercedes quotes 5.5 sec 0-60 mph with either transmission. It expects 90 percent to have the automatic. It changes gears smoothly, downshifts promptly to provide passing power as driver demands. Sure-shifting manual makes SLK feel more like a sports car, however.

Fuel Economy

SLK350,auto. SLK350 w/Sport Pkg., man. Class Average
5 5 4.4

Manual-transmission test car averaged 22.7 mpg. All SLK models require premium-grade fuel.

Ride Quality

4 3 4

Sports-car-taut base suspension feels firm on expansion joints and patchy pavement, but never punishing; suffers just a trace of float over severe dips, swells. Sport Package delivers sterling high-speed ride control but turns ride choppy on sharp ruts, ridges.

Steering/Handling/Braking

8 9 8.6

Impresses with precise steering, adroit overall balance, grippy cornering even in bumpy turns. Sport Package improves response in quick direction changes, but unless most of your driving is on unblemished surfaces, it's hardly enough to offset deterioration in ride quality. Braking powerful, undramatic, consistent.

Quietness

4 3 3.9

Sport-tuned exhaust note prominent, but engine never annoys. Tires rumble on grainy surfaces. Wind noise modest.

Controls/Materials

7 7 6.2

Classy analog gauges partially obstructed by steering-wheel rim. Controls close at hand, but not all are obviously marked, and steering-column stalk for cruise control invites confusion with turn-signal lever. Central screen displays audio, other settings; washes out in direct sunlight. Top operation a one-button breeze, takes 22 sec. No opportunity to test with navigation system. Top-notch cabin materials dressed up by standard aluminum trim or optional wood.

Room/Comfort/Driver Seating (front)

5 5 5.6

Good shoulder width, head clearance, but tall drivers may want more leg room--seat travel limited by bulkhead. Driving position enhanced by standard tilt/telescope steering wheel. Seats have very firm cushions, lack lumbar adjustment--a comfort deficit to some occupants. Clever Airscarf does soften the bite of chilly weather top-down driving. Low-slung design means a little extra effort on entry/exit. Removable mesh wind blocker clouds rear visibility, but outward view quite good otherwise, even with top up.

Room/Comfort (rear)

0 0 .4

(No rear seating.)

Cargo Room

2 2 2

Top lowers into trunk, leaving just enough space for a couple of soft suitcases. Raising roof frees sufficient baggage volume for a long weekend.

Value within Class

6 6 4.7

It may not be the first nameplate mentioned when talk turns to sports cars, but the SLK has enough accessible everyday performance to hold its own in pretty fast company. Of broader appeal is its blend of open-air excitement, hardtop security, solid engineering, and Mercedes prestige.

Total Score
48 48 48

Scores for all premium sporty/performance cars
Low Score 37

Average Score 48

High Score 59

Ratings: Maximum 10 points per category
Old 09-30-2005, 09:10 PM

I found this review on the net and was wondering if any
of you drivers think this review is agreeable with your
opinion of the car?

by the way:
the numbers below are the scores given
SLK350, auto. ------SLK350 w/Sport Pkg., man. -----Class Average
7------------------------8-----------------------------8.2
Old 10-02-2005, 07:44 PM

2005 SLK350
I have the slk350

Acceleration
enough information on the boards on that

Fuel Economy
I get about the same mileage. 16-20 around town, 23-27 on highway

Ride Quality
I have the AMG package and dont feel that its punishing at all

Steering/Handling/Braking
"feels" more steerable than the sl, but havent pushed the slk yet

Quietness
there is some wind noise with the top up, but then i hardly ever drive with the top up i dont think the engine is that loud either

Controls/Materials
i have standard audio system and its impossible to read in sunlight, but you can see the dashboard display so its not too big of a deal. the interior feels about right quality for the price range (maybe slightly less), but the material gets white marks very easily

Room/Comfort/Driver Seating (front)
i also feel that the seats could use better lubar support/adjustment

Cargo Room
more or less, only enough for a some grocery bag. not even a small golf bag will fit (altho clubs can fit with some bend)

Value within Class
depends

what kind of cars are tested and considered by consumer reports to be in the same "class"???
Old 10-03-2005, 09:28 AM

what kind of cars are tested and considered by consumer reports to be in the same "class"???

I'm not sure but I think Z4, Boxter, S2000, 350Z.

Thanks for your response.
That was very helpful.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
All in all, I suppose their review is reasonably fair. But remember that Consumer Reports rated the AMC Pacer as the car of the year when it came out. When it comes to cars, I usually just read CR for their reliabilty reports, and purely factual, objective measures like trunk space, gas mileage, etc. Excitment factor, styling, or ride... not so much.

I agree: Seats should have lumbar adjustment.

Mileage: I get 19-20 City; 26-27 Hwy, and I keep my automatic in Sport mode almost all the time.

Ride: I disagree with their assessment, but again that is a subjective matter of preference. I have the sport suspension, and I think this is the best ride of any car I have ever owned or even ridden in, bar none. I love the way your can feel the bumps, but never have the feeling that that tires left the road.

I have never seen the displays wash out in direct sunlight. But what does bother me is the non intuitive configuration for the displays. Why should I have to go through four main displays and 3 sub displays to be able to see the engine temperature guage? Especially when I have a big naviation screen that could display all kinds of data in real time when it is not displaying a map or the current radio station.

As to wind noise, I don't know what they are talking about. With the top up, it is quieter than my Volvo 850 station wagon was. And yet it is a convertible for God's sake! Compare it to the other cars in its class. Nothing will come close to its quietness with the top up. But what is much more impressive is that with the top DOWN, the side windows up, and the rear windscreen in place, you can carry on a quiet conversation at 70-90 mph, and not even mess up your hair. Try that in any other sport roadster.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 AM

I agree with both of you about ride and noise. Yeah some of the reviews are subjective like ride, comfort, roominess, quietness.
I read one review criticizing the console as having too many buttons.
I personally IMO like the look of keys, switches, knobs plastered in front
of me. (All guys have a lil James Bond in them).
Granted cargo room is small, but is it the roomiest car with a vario roof?
If so, then goddamit, rate the car as EXCELLENT. But I see the same nonsense over and over and over:
"Con/Negative: not enough space"
"Con/Negative: blindspot"
"Con/Negative: too many buttons"
If you can't find a better "Con", then leave it blank.
IT'S A TWO-SEATER CONVERTIBLE for christ sake.
What roadster doesn't have a blindspot?
If you want space, buy a mini-van...IMO
If you want visibility, buy a motorcycle.
If you don't want to see any buttons, sit in the back and hire a chauffer.

I have read almost every review there is of the R171 from the internet
to magazines of US publications and European citations.
All are pretty consistent, specifying wind noise and ride as
good or decent. Space is poor. Too expensive (I kinda agree with that, but
you get what you pay for.....however, cost should be consistent with RELIABILITY. If the car is in the shop or breaks down, then what's the point of jacking up the price?) But, they never state which cars are GREAT or EXCELLENT alternatives. These reviewer/critics **** me off.
They are supposed to be experts, yet they can't explain themselves very well.
They start out with FYI and stats about the car, but then they put in their 2 cents without any explanation. For instance, they would say something like, "Even with blindspots, limited space and a stiff ride, the SLK is a great contender, but you can't go wrong with either a Boxter or Z4." What the hell is that supposed to mean?
If you are going to say or score this car to be average, then tell me
specifically which car you have in mind that is above average or excellent or a perfect 10.
Perhaps, they are comparing the SLK to a car that hasn't been built yet.
Do they have a car in mind anticipated for the year 3000 that hovers off the ground?

As a consumer, I am looking to buy a car today. So, I am looking for reviews
for cars today. What other car (in its class) today compares to the SLK?
Z3, Z4, s2000, 350Z, Boxter, Z06, Crossfire, SC430, miata, solstice, sky?
New Volvo and Pontiac vario-tops?
Perhaps I'm bias. Perhaps they're bias. Perhaps they get compensation/gifts?
Are they afraid to publish that a certain car is the best there is?

I wanna know everyone's opinion. Are we all bias now b/c we bought this car? Or we bought this car b/c we believe it is the best there is?
For those who own the SLK for >1 year, has your opinion of the car changed,
b/c you know a lil more about reliabilty?

I can understand when a critic suggests improvements on certain features like ride, nav, roominess, wind noise, etc, but if a car is the best there is, then give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by big SLK; 10-04-2005 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:21 AM

2005 SLK350
i think reliability has a lot to do with service as well... some dealerships just dont give a **** what happens to you after you buy your car. some dealerships get things done, and try to make your total experience with the car as good as possible.

as for the trunk space, i was just comparing it to an SL which is not fair, but it would've been nice to be able to fit at least one golf bag + clubs in the trunk. maybe its wishful thinking for roadsters in this class.

as for my opinion, no it hasnt changed yet. i still think the manual tranny is above average, and its still a blast to ride. however, i am very interested in a z4m convertible if they ever decide to release it...
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM

2005 SLK350
I've had mine for a little over a year... got my first annual inspection last month. I've had no issues with the car at all that haven't been promptly taken care of by the dealer. The minor issues I have had have been related to computer chips and "bells and whistles" rather than the engine issues.

Of course, there are a couple of things I'd like to see changed, but no car is perfect. I'm annoyed that the dash rubber shows white marks. I'm annoyed there's not a usable drink holder. I'm a little annoyed by the way the windshield, even when just cleaned, has a tendency to fog up a little during night driving, regardless of the outside temperature.

It is kind of annoying when the reviewers make comments about lousy trunk space. Do you think anyone's bought one of these and then been upset the next week when they figure out they can't take their piano with them on vacation? We all knew what we were getting into on the space issue, both cargo and cabin.

All in all, if I could trade it even on a new Z4, Boxster, Vette, or anything else out there tomorrow, I wouldn't do it. I love my car.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:16 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
I have to agree with Wil. I didn't buy it to move stuff, don't drink and drive so don't care where the cup holder is, don't smoke and drive so could care less for the ashtray even!

The dash is a pain but the car is exactly what I wanted and like so I will live with it and just clean more often. Got too many gidgets and info items, but as long as they work I can live with them. Kind of concerned if this car (or any new cars) with all the electronics will be around in 15 or 20 years.... but that is life.

After almost a year I am still very pleased with the car, its performance, looks and still get a rush when I punch it! Would not trade it for anything I have seen on the market.