SLK/R171: stubby antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slk350(weekend), Mazda 3s (boosted)
stubby antenna

Does anyone know who makes a stubby that actually works and doesnt kill the reception? Does the r170 fit on the r171?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:38 AM

SLK350 7G
The only stubby that works and doesn't kill radio reception is the Mercedes Full kit that includes the Hidden bumper aerial.. This is a loop that is installed by removing the rear bumper from the car. It also contains an amplifier circuit and is not really a cheap option.
IMHO. Better to keep the original large whip, unless you listen to CD !!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Fob issues

Originally Posted by Geordie_UK
The only stubby that works and doesn't kill radio reception is the Mercedes Full kit that includes the Hidden bumper aerial.. This is a loop that is installed by removing the rear bumper from the car. It also contains an amplifier circuit and is not really a cheap option.
IMHO. Better to keep the original large whip, unless you listen to CD !!
Radio reception is bad where I live so I will mostly use the Sat radio (and Ipod), but doesn't the stubby one also limit range on the key?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:53 PM

SLK350 7G
Hi.

The stubby one does limit the key, but not to an extent wheres its a problem. The cheap ones on Ebay seriously damage the range, you practcally have to have the remote on the top of the aerial, but the Mercedes one is fine up to around 40-50 feet I guesstimate.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Vodil
Radio reception is bad where I live so I will mostly use the Sat radio (and Ipod), but doesn't the stubby one also limit range on the key?
Is your radio reception bad with the orginal? Here in Colorado I don't hear or feel a difference at all. The R170 antenna one works perfect, radio reception, key range, I don't noticed difference.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Smile I'm glad Sirius came with the car

Originally Posted by Ynot
Is your radio reception bad with the orginal? Here in Colorado I don't hear or feel a difference at all. The R170 antenna one works perfect, radio reception, key range, I don't noticed difference.
Radio reception is just bad where I live (mountains block several broadcast sites.) Its not related to the car.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Slk350(weekend), Mazda 3s (boosted)
the reception with the stock antenna is fine, thats why im wondering if the r170 will work.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:16 PM

SLK350 7G
Originally Posted by Freddyboi
the reception with the stock antenna is fine, thats why im wondering if the r170 will work.

Answered this way back up the thread.,

You will lose reception. It will not be as good as the full size aerial
Old 11-11-2005, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Geordie_UK
Answered this way back up the thread.,

You will lose reception. It will not be as good as the full size aerial
Not correct, depends on your location. I've heard in the UK, it doesn't work that well, makes sense, there's tall buildings everywhere, Here in Colorado where everything is wide open, it works great. Jmejones said it works great in Florida as well. Depends on location. For just 55 bucks, it's worth it.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:29 PM

SLK350 7G
Totally incorrect, its physics. It is not as good as the longer aerial.
You obviously haven't been to the UK. It has open spaces you know, we don't all live in cities. It actually works better in the city than in the "open countryside" well it does here anyway.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:54 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Let me give my 2cents

The stubby antenna doesn't work well in LosAngeles area either.

Mount Wilson (north of LA) is the relay station for alot of TV and radio broadcast. In most area of LA, you can get line of sight with those antennas there.

When I installed the stubby antenna, my AM stations received alot more static. Simple drive under certain power lines, freeway overpasses, I received massive static.

In the case of FM stations, I lost some of my favorite stations. No reception at all while the others faded in and out depending on the location of my car.

Last but not least, the reception of my remote was hampered dramatically. My guesstimate that the range fell as much as 50%.

Net of it, I removed my stubby antenna after 3 weeks of usage. Will put it back if I am able to locate the full kit.

Hope this helps