SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: CLK or SLK??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK or SLK??

I'm in a big dilemma about whether i should purchase the CLK 350 or SLK 280/350. I am a big fan of SLK and love the gorgeous looks it possessed. However, after test driving CLK 350, the comfort of the ride and great accelaration and handling amazed me. Can someone please help me choose by listing the pros and cons/ recommend the car? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by kiwisbox
I'm in a big dilemma about whether i should purchase the CLK 350 or SLK 280/350. I am a big fan of SLK and love the gorgeous looks it possessed. However, after test driving CLK 350, the comfort of the ride and great accelaration and handling amazed me. Can someone please help me choose by listing the pros and cons/ recommend the car? Thanks.
They are two different cars. It depends on your lifestyle

CLK Pro's
More room, more luxurious, more space

Con's
No hardtop, not as sporty, doesn't handle as well, conservative look. No manual transmission

SLK Pro's
Very sporty, handle great, more fun to drive, hardtop can't be beat. 6-speed MT.

Con's
Might be too small for some, not pratical, no space. two-seater

I didn't really had a dilemma, I almost purchase the CLK500 cabrio last year on impluse, I saw it on the showroom floor and drool over the looks, but then I wanted a more sporty car. And I waited for my dealer to get an SLK, test drove it, looked at some photos of the SLK on the forums and the hardtop is definately unique and I was sold. I have no regrets. I love my SLK.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 AM

SLK350 7G
The hard top is not unique in the UK. Everyone is at them now. Renault, Peugeot, Nissan to name but a few.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 PM

2005 SLK350
isnt there a SLK you can sit in and test drive? That should make your decision easier...

the thing that got me sold on the SLK was the looks (didnt like it at first, but it grew on me, and seemed to look better in RL) and the good things i heard about the MT from reviewers and others on the board.

in fact i wasnt even looking to get a car, but i walked into my dealership and saw a 6-speed SLK sitting right there in the showroom with options i wouldve gotten if i did decide to order one. bought it right on the spot without a test drive... good thing the reviewers were correct about the MT otherwise i woulda been pretty pissed. well its good but not great, but i'm happy with my purchase
Old 11-15-2005, 03:32 AM

2006 SLK350
In my case, I was already in one of the first year W208's. I considered both the W209 and R171 (both 350's since I really don't need the V8 to get into plenty of trouble :v ). After having had a CLK for a long while, I already knew I had virtually no need of a back seat (rarely even have a single passenger) and almost never filled the trunk.

I did test drive both cars, but the thing that truly and utterly sold me on the SLK was the top. I wanted a convertible and cloth was totally out of the question. When there were rumors of the W209 cab being a hard top, I very nearly put my name on the wait list right then. But with MB falling behind in hardtop 4-seaters, my choice was clear.

The two biggest deciding factors (assuming you're just as likely to get a W209 cab as a R171) will, I suspect, be whether you need the interior space or whether you want the fun to drive factor. If you really must have the rear seat or the bigger trunk, you'd never be happy with a R171. But if you don't need the space and want the fun to drive, I would urge the R171 above the W209 ... YMMV, of course.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:53 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Very different cars IMO. The CLK seats 4. I personally don't mind having a car with only 2 seats.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Thumbs down Neither fish nor fowl

The CLK is not a sports car; the SLK is. If that matters the choice is clear.
The CLK seats 4; the SLK seats 2. If that matters the choice is clear.
The CLK can carry stuff; the SLK (if driven correctly) would break it.
The CLK looks like anything else; the SLK doesn't
Lots of people around here have CLKs because they are a little bit of this and little bit of that and have a star. That could be for you.

If you want a little bit of this and a little bit of that in a hard-top convertible look at the Lexus SC430. Drives as soeft as an SL, but has a back seat (officially) and costs less.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:13 PM

; )

CLK -

Very spacious and is good if you want to carry more than 1 passenger.. However, if your young, fun, want to impress, and dont need 4 seats, the SLK is by far in my opinion the best.

And I .. still haven't received mine..

Another Q Guys :

Does the SLK 55 come in Manual / Automatic ?
As I ordered, but I don't think he specified whether I should want Manual/Auto.

THANKS
Old 11-15-2005, 04:20 PM

2006 SLK350
I don't know that's there any AMG on the market now that has true MT. The auto has an "M" mode, but it's still an AT.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:04 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Brabus can add a manual shifter to the AMG. Standard, it comes with an automatic (you can still shift gears, but there's no clutch pedal).
Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
clk cab is perfect!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:17 PM

2006 SLK350
Just wish it was a hard top...
Old 11-18-2005, 02:09 PM

'06 SLK350
It's about the depreciation (and two seats)

I was originally set on a CLK cab. In doing research on the purchase, I found that both the CLK and SLK have similar depreciation profiles (unusual for the SLK, as roadsters' values tend to drop like a stone). I also compared the numbers available on MBUSA.com regarding legroom, shoulder room, trunk space, etc. What I found was very interesting. Turns out that the CLK and SLK are very close in roominess for two passengers. So if you're not carrying more than one passenger with you, you won't find the CLK more roomy as a practical matter. I assume that not having those rear seats behind you could make you feel claustrophobic if so inclined. I don't mind them not being there at all, but YMMV.

Others have mentioned the hard top as a plus; the CLK's soft top is excellent, though. What it came down to for me was the fact that the R171 SLK is only in its second year of production, while the W209 CLK is probably due for a freshening or replacement in MY 2008. I'm not planning on keeping my SLK for a really long time, and I figured the resale value on an 06 SLK in two years will probably be more than a CLK in the same timeframe.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:22 PM
wem

Received 191 Likes on 109 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
I traded in my 2005 CLK Cab for a 2006 SLK 350. Having owned a 1999 SLK 230, I missed the lack of body flex in the SLK versus the CLK. The CLK was a nice car (it had more convenience features and a better NAV system than the SLK), but definitely was not as sporty or as fun to drive as the 2006 SLK. I would recommend the SLK (it also gets many more positive comments than the CLK).
Old 11-19-2005, 11:52 PM

2005 SLK350
Originally Posted by Shinigami
Brabus can add a manual shifter to the AMG. Standard, it comes with an automatic (you can still shift gears, but there's no clutch pedal).
i couldnt find any info on this on Brabus' site... where can I find more info on this?
Old 11-20-2005, 03:43 AM

SLK 55 AMG
evanichka: I believe it is special order and you must contact Brabus directly for pricing and information. The website does not mention even a third of all the 'options' that Brabus offers for MB's.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the replies! My mind right at this second is still swaying between the two, but i think i will go for clk 350. I still got approximately a month to decide so maybe i'll even surprised myself at the end....
What i can do now is to convince myself that no matter which one i end up driving home i will love it very much with no regrets because they are both awesome cars! I'm excited to have my first mercedez as a christmas present and since its so "big" i'm guessing this will also be my 18th birthday present.