SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Lotus Exige vs. SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350
Lotus Exige vs. SLK55

I'm thinking of trading in my SLK350 on a 2007 Lotus Exige. It's either that or upgrading it to the '55. What do you guys think about that? The Exige is a different beast all together. 190 hp Toyota engine (basically the Celica powerplant) in a 1950 pound car. 0-60 in 4.5 conservatively. Only 300 Exiges coming to the US.

The only problem is practicality. The SLK is pretty impractical, but the Lotus takes impractical to a whole new level. It's really, really difficult to get in and out of for me, and I'm an able bodied 27 year old guy. The tub design has you resting your arm on the door lip while driving. With the removable hard or soft top in place (not articulating, but "leave it in the garage" hard top) leaves about a 2 1/2 foot entry from door sill to top.

While it's only slightly faster than the SLK55, I can imagine it's a true dream to drive. I wasn't able to drive the Exige, but I did drive the Elise, which is very similar, but with a different aero package. The Exige aero package gives it better road contact, and shaves .3 seconds on the 0-60. The good news is that the Exige only runs US$56,750... about $4,000 or so less than the '55 equiped the way I'd want it. The bad news is, it's a track car. No wood grain, nav unit, power seats, etc. It's a track car, and as such, has very limited features. I've grown accustomed to the "*** warmers" as I've come to call them, and the airscarf.

I guess I'm asking... should I buy a Brittish exotic screamer 4-cylinder? Or should I stick with what I know and love and go the V8 SLK? I'm asking your opinions because I know how I feel. I'm thinking it's just TOO IMPRACTICAL. My big *** doesn't need to wear a speedo, and that's all I'd have room to pack in the trunk of the Lotus for a beach weekend. I need you to tell me I'm right, and that I won't regret passing up the true exotic that is Lotus for the semi exotic that is AMG.

Help me out, people...
Old 02-19-2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by wil_sutton
I'm thinking of trading in my SLK350 on a 2007 Lotus Exige. It's either that or upgrading it to the '55. What do you guys think about that? The Exige is a different beast all together. 190 hp Toyota engine (basically the Celica powerplant) in a 1950 pound car. 0-60 in 4.5 conservatively. Only 300 Exiges coming to the US.

The only problem is practicality. The SLK is pretty impractical, but the Lotus takes impractical to a whole new level. It's really, really difficult to get in and out of for me, and I'm an able bodied 27 year old guy. The tub design has you resting your arm on the door lip while driving. With the removable hard or soft top in place (not articulating, but "leave it in the garage" hard top) leaves about a 2 1/2 foot entry from door sill to top.

While it's only slightly faster than the SLK55, I can imagine it's a true dream to drive. I wasn't able to drive the Exige, but I did drive the Elise, which is very similar, but with a different aero package. The Exige aero package gives it better road contact, and shaves .3 seconds on the 0-60. The good news is that the Exige only runs US$56,750... about $4,000 or so less than the '55 equiped the way I'd want it. The bad news is, it's a track car. No wood grain, nav unit, power seats, etc. It's a track car, and as such, has very limited features. I've grown accustomed to the "*** warmers" as I've come to call them, and the airscarf.

I guess I'm asking... should I buy a Brittish exotic screamer 4-cylinder? Or should I stick with what I know and love and go the V8 SLK? I'm asking your opinions because I know how I feel. I'm thinking it's just TOO IMPRACTICAL. My big *** doesn't need to wear a speedo, and that's all I'd have room to pack in the trunk of the Lotus for a beach weekend. I need you to tell me I'm right, and that I won't regret passing up the true exotic that is Lotus for the semi exotic that is AMG.

Help me out, people...
It looks like from your sig you have other cars to drive. If that's the case, then get the Lotus. But for everyday driving, I wouldn't even consider the Exige. My cousin has an Elise, it's a blast to drive, but I could never live with that car on everyday basis.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:56 AM
ON PROBATION

You buy the track car after or when you already have the great road car....

The Exige is rough around the edges for a road car -- you're not very likely to appreciate it as a daily driver -- especially after trading out of an SLK(!)

If you can do it trade into the SLK55 - YOU WILL LOVE IT!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:31 AM

SLK 350 AMG
I had a 4-cylinder Honda S2000 for 4 years, which turned out to be the most fun sports car I've ever driven on a daily basis. For a 2-liter car of that size, it's power output (0-60 in 5.3) and cornering capabilities were fairly remarkable. That's why I think the Exige would be a good choice for you too.

Last week on the BBC TV program "Top Gear" in the U.K, they did a road test of the Exige. The presenter loved it, and thought it was absolutely amazing. In the track test, which was run on a damp surface, the Exige came in with the 6th best time of all cars ever tested (which included the likes of Maserati, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, etc.)
Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 AM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
There is no comparison between the Lotus and an S2000, never mind an SLK.
The Lotus is built for the track with occaisonal road use. Its a phenomenal track tool but totally impractiocal on the roads where its limits will not be safely reached. To consider one as a daily driver on the poorly maintained american roads would be highly not recommended.

Get the 55 if you are going to use it and buy an old MX5 for some cheap trackday fun.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:09 PM

Judging by what you have said, you believe the Exige to be a faster car. Sometimes figures are misleading. The exige doesn't have much torque (comparatively) and a lot of the power comes high up the rev range. I am assuming that you will be driving whatever car you choose on the road as otherwise you wouldn't be consdiering the SLK55 AMG as its by no means a track car. As a road car the SLK55 AMG will win hands down. The Exige would need to be at the right revs in the right gear to show its true worth against the AMG and how many of us drive like that on the road? In fact you'll find maybe that the Exige will be a car that will be hard to use the full rev range and the full range of its abilities. If you're going for road use, go for the AMG, it will be much less tiresome and a lot easier to use all that power regularly.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Some interesting points were made here. If it were me, I would go with the SLK55. Call me a cynic, but I will take an AMG Handbuilt V8 Motor over a Toyota I4 anyday. However, as one can infer from your signature, you already have a couple of daily drivers. So, this what I come to conclude. If it is merely a fun, spartan, raw, weekend track car you are seeking, then go with the Exige. But if the car will be mostly driven on the street, then go with the AMG. Regardless of your final choice, best of luck to you!

HLG

New 2006 Lotus Exige S (Supercharged)
0-60 4.1 seconds
218 hp
Worth a look if you're in the market anyway.
http://fast-autos.net/vehicles/Lotus/2006/Exige_S/
Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
video:
Top Gear's Review of Lotus Exige

I'd go for the Exige as a second car . If I could only have one car then I would go for the SLK55

Last edited by mick1; 02-20-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:30 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I have the 55, and I drove an Exige.

The Exige is a really fun car to drive, but I would only suggest it as a third car (maybe a second one if you have no GF/Wife/kids).

I'm not quite sure the Exige is faster then the SLK because I raced one and he could not catch up (this was uphill btw...). But it IS a very fast car, largely due to the weight of the vehicle.

The engine noise is noway near as exciting as in the SLK, but when you do rev past 6000rpm, the Toyota "vtec" style thing kicks in and makes a niiiice buzz as you rev up to red line. Handling of course is awesome, but can be very tiring for your arms. Due to the weight, the car kinda skips along and you need to pay attention with btoh arms on the wheel if you're going past a certain speed.

Changing gears is not quite as precise as in an S2000, but still very good, and some people have done extensive mods to make it even better.

The biggest problem for the Exige (and reason I wouldn't have it as a primary car) is due to the impracticality. It can be hard to get in and out, but so what, you pick up a technique after a while. It's a bit loud and past certain speeds, you can kiss the stereo good bye. Aircon is quite adequate, and the sparse interior, whilst hugging you in tight to the well shaped seats, is not nothing special. It's not ugly, far from it, but it's minimalistic.

Finally, trunk space... well, just forget it. In the Exige, you can place a coat in the back, maybe even a golf club as it's quite wide. However, it is not deep, and anything larger then ~1 foot cubed will most likely not fit at all.

Finally, if you're hit from behind, even lightly, and the body is cracked, the car might be declared a complete loss as it's just one large glassfiber structure (and a very expensive one at that).

Still, a very satisfying car, and I'd say go for it if you want the looks and action for a year or two
Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 PM

for the best bang for your buck..definately the slk55...lotus comes with nothing.. i test drove one in Australia and the guy was like if you would like one with air con we wouldnt need to order one in because thats a option... and the lotus isnt that much faster the 55... and you are also paying 55000 for a toyota... and there are plenty more dealerships for Merc then lotus so incase something comes up with the car you dont need to wait 3 weeks for a part to come in from england
Old 02-27-2006, 01:02 PM

2005 SLK350
Actually, for the 06/07, most of them have A/C... according to the literature, you can get the NO A/C OPTION, for an additional $250 US. Go figure... pay extra to have them leave off the AC... That's for the true trackheads...

OK... point made... I'll stick with the AMG. I just needed to hear it from a few other people! Thanks for your input!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:45 PM

Wil, The Exige is a crude track beast. Just my HO.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM

2005 SLK350
i wouldnt mind the exige s if it was available in the states sigh
Old 03-01-2006, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
two completely different cars, get the cayman s, best of both worlds