SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK versus c6 or CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crosis
I am one week into owning my first MB. I cant wipe the smile off my face. The SLK is a blast to drive.
Which SLK did you get? After a week, do you still find the car comfortable? How's the armrest on the right? Good? Not an issue?

Thx!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:41 AM

2005 SLK350 Silver w/ Black; 2004 GMC Sierra 2500
Thinker,

I have had my SLK350 for a little over a year now. And I could not be happier with it. I can still count the number of other R171's ive seen around on two hands over the year and still love the styling. As far as comfort, I am a big guy at 6' 250lbs. and I feel very comfortable in the car. Someone else mentioned that the power seats adjust more and I agree I test drove one with manual seats and just couldnt quite find the sweet spot position. Its almost a different car with the power seats. As far as right elbow and left side i have no complaints arm is easy on the center console and no issues with the left side. Occassionally i will drive with my leg up as someone else mentioned but both up or extended are equally comfortable for me. If you dont need 4 seats I would go with the SLK. just my opinion.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by BostonSLK350
Thinker,

I have had my SLK350 for a little over a year now. And I could not be happier with it. I can still count the number of other R171's ive seen around on two hands over the year and still love the styling. As far as comfort, I am a big guy at 6' 250lbs. and I feel very comfortable in the car. Someone else mentioned that the power seats adjust more and I agree I test drove one with manual seats and just couldnt quite find the sweet spot position. Its almost a different car with the power seats. As far as right elbow and left side i have no complaints arm is easy on the center console and no issues with the left side. Occassionally i will drive with my leg up as someone else mentioned but both up or extended are equally comfortable for me. If you dont need 4 seats I would go with the SLK. just my opinion.
THat's great advice. Y'know - I think the car I drove had manual seats. It was the dealer's beater. I'll try it again. I'm a little over 6' and about 210lbs. But, I have long legs - so I "sit taller". I was felling a little smooshed. I'll try it with the powers!!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Almost a Member!

MB SLK 350 with pathetic amg parts
I went through this, SLK350 (full optioned + amg body kits) Vs CLK350 (full optioned + amg body kits). I sat in the CLK first....and I said wow I love the luxury...2 extra seats, more space but I realised the leather sucked *** as compared to the new Lexus IS250 I have with full options of course. Then I drove the SLK280, not 350 because they didn't have it as a test car there, so I sat in it and I said to myself...this is even worse....I can't believe how plain it is, the dash sucked completely as compared to the Lexus or CLK...so thank fully I drove both CLK and SLK...and I started to like the CLK...I liked the power, I liked the average dynamics of the car. It wasn't too sharp ...it was just a fine ride. Then I reluctantly sat in the slk 280...After the first corner I fell in love. Light weight, compact, fast. I got out of the car straight away to see how it looked when I would park it to the kerb. this was a base slk280, no mods. Just a test car...not ever the car i'm getting. I was already in love with it. I jumped in again, opened the roof. Accellerated the hell out of it, and went for a long long time...it was amazing. The sound of the exhaust I read in reviews said the SLK280 sounds boring. What a crock of ****...this car is perfect. Then I realised why everything seemed so reduced and plain in the SLK280 as compared to the CLK 350...it was purely because it enhanced the focus on the driving and the driver rather than pampering the driver which luxuries which he could get from a lexus any day.

I thought the lexus IS250 was pretty sweet and quiet but noisy and powerful when required but the 280 did the job for me, so I thought I could afford an amg tuned slk350 anyway and I guess this will totally devour my understanding of happiness soon by July 06 when it arrives.

It's going to be an amazing experience.

The guys and girls out there already with the slk's 280's to 350's must be over joyed...

But I'm not that jealous.

The thing with the four seats is lame. It's come to me, why the heck do you need more weight in the car? Driving is about being selfish, all about your 'fast'. Screw the passengers (pun not intended), and drive with less weight. I got carried away I am getting basically every option except the heated seat components and the air scarf, because one, if I wanted to heat my neck I'd buy a real scarf I'd tie a rag around my neck, and 2. I reduce the car's overall weight. And finally three, Australia is pretty tropical and hot at times so who needs that crap...if you want luxuries..go get a lexus or CLS or something....

and the biggest reason was the SLK is a pretty much newer model than the CLK which will be changed soon in 2008-2009. In terms of financing, by the time you finish financing a CLK the new model would of come out...that'd be so lame.

Hopefully everything goes well before the strike on Iran begins so I can drive my car for a short period before the world goes into a world recession.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Almost a Member!

I am now coming up to 1 month of ownership on my SLK 280. At 6' 2" I still have no problem with room or comfort. If I had any complaint at all, it would be that the window sill is kinda high.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by quaidorsay
so I thought I could afford an amg tuned slk350 anyway and I guess this will totally devour my understanding of happiness soon by July 06 when it arrives.

It's going to be an amazing experience.
What do you mean by AMG tuned? We don't get those in the US and congrats on your purchased. It will be an amazing experience.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 AM

NA
I would rather take the SLK over the Corvette. The quality of the Corvette is going down with each year due to attempts at keeping costs the same while raising performance. The body now feels very cheap, and the interior leaves something to be desired. The all out, no compromise, performance without luxury car gets tiring very quickly. Having owned a car spawned from similar ideology (my twin turbo Rx-7), I can make the statement that you can by the SLK with no regrets, but the same cannot probably be said of the C6.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:40 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Thinking out of the box (or at least out of the Star)

Since you are not allergic to GM products, there is another model that you might take a look at if it is the CLK with its 4 seats that is of importance to you. The 4 seat G6 Pontiac folding hardtop convertible at close to $30,000.00 is more than half the car that the CLK is at half the price. I would suggest springing for the GTP version with its 250 plus horsepower and included dynamic drive feature along with the premium package (leather, heated seats, upgraded interior, upgraded wheels, steering wheel radio controls and 6 CD Changer.) Even with the premium package and the GTP version you are still not much over $32,000.

A caution, even though they are only now just hitting the showrooms, they were only produced in super limited numbers for 2006 and the 2007's won't be out until the end of the summer at the earliest.

Last edited by northbenz; 05-14-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:51 AM

2007 SLK280
I owned a CLK240 and to be frank, I regret that I didn't get a SLK350...