SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Help: Foot Well Lights on dim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Help: Foot Well Lights on dim

I was just driving back in the dark at the end of a 3000 mile trip, and I suddenly noticed that the foot well lights were dimly lighting my feet and the pedals. I had never noticed that before (2005, 350 SLK), so I think it is something new, and something wrong. I think it is supposed to be completely dark in the foot wells while driving at night.

Has anyone else seen this. They are not bright, like they are when you turn on the interior lights; in fact they are quite dim. If you turn on the interior lights with the overhead switch, they come on bright. But if you then turn off the switch, they go back to being dim. And if you stop the car, and lock it up they go out. It is only on the driver's side. I certainly could not find any setting or any switch that would turn them off. Nothing in the manual about this.

Sounds like something is wrong? Or have they always been that way, and I just never noticed it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:03 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Maverick:
I think mine are the same way and I had the impression that this is normal...ambiance, I guess...
Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Mine are as you describe, except that it's like that on both the driver and passenger sides. I believe that's the ambience lighting effect that's part of one of the options packages.

Last edited by lennyr; 04-15-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:46 PM

1996 - C220/2001 - ML430/ 2005 RX-330
Originally Posted by lennyr
Mine are as you describe, except that it's like that on both the driver and passenger sides. I believe that's the ambience lighting effect that's part of one of the options packages.
Yes, if you get down there and look you should see little yellow LED's as well as usually one under the rearview mirror which lights up the center area very slightly.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:46 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Many thanks to you all. When you mentioned "ambient lighting" I checked the options packages on the "build your own" page of MBUSA. Sure enough:

Ambient Lighting & Garage Door Opener
Setting a mood that's ideal for that next moonlit drive, ambient interior lighting casts a gentle glow over the center console and in each foot well...

I guess I just never noticed it, and it appears to be out on the passenger side, while the regular foot well lighting works on both sides, which made me think that the regular foot well lighting was just not completely turning off on the driver's side.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
i doubt it is out on the passengers side, you just notice it more on the drivers side because if you wear white shoes it shows up easily and it reflects off the metal pedals. Sit in your car at night with white shoes on the passengers side, sure enough you will see it.

I almost fell off my chair laughing reading this thread. I think people just look for problems with their cars now. I actually custom installed footwell ambient lighting in my BMW to have this exact same effect and to match the ambient console lighting.
Attached Thumbnails Help: Foot Well Lights on dim-ambient1.jpg   Help: Foot Well Lights on dim-ambient3.jpg