Old 05-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SLK350, Storm Red, Premium 1 Pkg, Bi-Xenon Lights, Heated Seats, Airscarf
When are 2007 SLKs Due Out

Hi,

I'm getting ready to purchase an SLK 280. I want to do the European Delivery
Option They would like four months advance notice for an order, which puts
me out into September. I was wondering when the 2007s were expected.
I'd hate to pick up a 2006 in September and have the 2007s come out
in October.

Anyone know the schedule? I live in the US.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 SLK 55
Did you ask the dealer that is arranging the sale? I've read in other forums that if you order now, you will get the model year 2007 but at a new higher price.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Delivery time

Originally Posted by etyu
Did you ask the dealer that is arranging the sale? I've read in other forums that if you order now, you will get the model year 2007 but at a new higher price.
It varies from year to year, I understand, but new ones typicaly roll off the line in August. I started about now least year and picked my 2006 up on Sept 9.

They won't be able to guarentee the price in this gap, but the nominal price increase is not a big deal. Sometimes there are changes in exactly what is standard etc. (e.g. I got Ipod interface installed for free)

Anybody know what is "new" for 2007?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by etyu
Correct I'd ordered mine last year on May 2nd, my SLK was build the first decade of July and I picked up a 2006 model on July 25th.

Mike:
You will definately get the 07' model in September. You will not know the price until 30 days before pickup, you will have to pay in full or arrange financing from MB. Be sure to do a search for "euo delivery" before you go, many great tips from members, you will have fun, great way to pick up a benz.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Information on 2007 Models

Hi,

I got some additional configuration data on the 2007. Pretty much the same
as 2006. They are dropping the Firemist Red for another called Storm Red.
From the paint panel my wife saw today, looks pretty much like the Firemist.
Dealer thinks it has a little less black in it.

Most of the changes are in the options packages.

050 Hands-free communication system
260 Leather Str Wheel/Shift Knob
411 Manual Transmission
427 7 Speed Automamtic
428 Radio Audio 20 W/single CD
535 Automatic climate Control
619 Cornering Fog Lamps
819 6-Disc CD Changer ( may be 8 disc, my notes are smudged )

Packages

318 Trim Package - Vavona Wood Trim

319 - Lighting Package
600 Handlamp Wash System
614 Bi-Xenon Headlamps

321 - AMG Sport Package
486 Sport Suspension
772 Sportline
784 AMG 17 " light alloy wheels
951 Appearance Code
R01 Tires
V51 Tire Rating

323 - Heating Package
285 Cloth Windscreen
103 Airscarf - Ventilated headrest
873 Heated Front Seats

328 - Run Flat Tire Package

606 - 8 Spoke 16 inch Standard Wheel

P01 - Premium 1

232 Garage Door Opener
242 Power Passenger Seat w/Memory
249 Autodimming Dr & Rww Mirror
275 Power Dr Seat & Steering Col w/Memory
345 Rain Sensor
536 Sirius Staellite Radio
876 Interior ambient light package
860 IR remote root automation

P02 - Premium 2

Same as P01, but add
387 Phone system pre-wiring
528 COMAND headunit
810 harman/kardon sound system

P03 - Premium 3

Same as P02, but add:

530 DVD COMAND Navigation

My notes are hard to read. some of the feature numbers may
be wrong.

Mike
Old 05-23-2006, 06:49 PM

2001 ML320 - soon: 2007 SLK350
Storm Red

Originally Posted by Mike Smith
Hi,

I got some additional configuration data on the 2007. Pretty much the same
as 2006. They are dropping the Firemist Red for another called Storm Red.
From the paint panel my wife saw today, looks pretty much like the Firemist.
Dealer thinks it has a little less black in it.

Mike
Storm Red is a current CLK color. You can probably see one on your dealer's lot. It's as you describe, and not an improvement in my opinion.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Sirius Radio and MP3

Does anyone know about the Sirius Radio? I assume it has a single
CD player in it. Can it play MP3 CDs? Any way to hook an IPOD or
other MP3 player to it?

Also, the feature they call the Audio 20 radio: can it play MP3 CDs?

The other thing is I finally found a dealer that was willing to do the work to
find out MB would paint the car in non-standard colors. I know its been discussed
in these forums before. But, I've talked with four different MB dealers now. Three
said it could not be done. I encouraged them to check with the regional
MBUSA Rep. They said the did and it could not be done. The forth dealer
said he wired a message back to the factory in Germany and it could be done
for $1150. Cost is charged to "reprogram" the computers. Anyway, now I have
a dilema. This dealer is 60 miles away. Not local.

I assume any dealer would honor MBs warrantee.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-24-2006, 11:57 AM

2006 SLK350
Downgrading continues

Originally Posted by MarkP
Storm Red is a current CLK color. You can probably see one on your dealer's lot. It's as you describe, and not an improvement in my opinion.
As a firemist owner. I agree.
I have had the impression that the new SLK has gotten too popular and is drawing some potential SL buyers away. I think that with the current price points, they want to identify the SLK more with the entry-level (i.e. C-series) than their flagship. I think the color changes are part of that.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:44 PM

2001 ML320 - soon: 2007 SLK350
Color changes

Originally Posted by Vodil
I have had the impression that the new SLK has gotten too popular and is drawing some potential SL buyers away. I think that with the current price points, they want to identify the SLK more with the entry-level (i.e. C-series) than their flagship. I think the color changes are part of that.
Are there other color changes for 2007?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:38 PM

2005 Diamond Black C230K, 2007 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vodil
What are you smoking? SLK can't possibly steal SL buyers. The SLK starts at $43K. The SL starts at $95K. That's more than TWICE the price. Even the SLK55 AMG is $30K less than the base SL.

In the Bay Area I still see way more R170's than R171's, I'm not sure they're that wildly popular. In any case, R171 doing well can only be a good thing for MBUSA, I don't think they're worried about losing SL sales.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:55 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by DiamondKomp
What are you smoking? SLK can't possibly steal SL buyers. The SLK starts at $43K. The SL starts at $95K. That's more than TWICE the price. Even the SLK55 AMG is $30K less than the base SL.

In the Bay Area I still see way more R170's than R171's, I'm not sure they're that wildly popular. In any case, R171 doing well can only be a good thing for MBUSA, I don't think they're worried about losing SL sales.
He's not smoking anything & actually makes a good point. My wife is the perfect example of his point. We almost bought at SL500 or a Jag XKR but opted for the SLK55 due to its more nimble size, superior performance, and its a bit more rare than the SL. It was $73k out the door - saved about $20k making the deal that much more sweet. I've since pumped some cash into the car, but that is just to enhance power a bit. I've got SLR performance for the price of a base SL & the interior is very close to the SLs in terms of materials/build quality.....pretty good deal IMO.

-Matt
Old 05-25-2006, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I think there are going to be exception to everything, but most people don't cross shop a SLK with an SL. The SL is in another league in nearly every area, but the SLK55 is another league also a very sporty one. That said its all good because MB still gets the sale and both the SLK and SL sales are rising during this nice weather buying season. Mercedes is shipping both models at a good clip now along with the S,GL,ML and shortly E-Class.

I will admit though, the new SLK is the first one I really like. It couldn't replace in my mind, but it is vastly more desireable than the previous SLK, IMO. The new one is a premium product inside and out.

M
Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow R1
He's not smoking anything & actually makes a good point. My wife is the perfect example of his point. We almost bought at SL500 or a Jag XKR but opted for the SLK55 due to its more nimble size, superior performance, and its a bit more rare than the SL. It was $73k out the door - saved about $20k making the deal that much more sweet. I've since pumped some cash into the car, but that is just to enhance power a bit. I've got SLR performance for the price of a base SL & the interior is very close to the SLs in terms of materials/build quality.....pretty good deal IMO.

-Matt
Well, then, you are both smoking it. :-)

You're talking about the old XKR, right? The new XK doesn't have an R out yet, does it?

No disrespect to the SLK55 (I've got one on order), but the SLK interior does not match the SL at all. Just my opinion.

How did you get "SLR performance", supercharger?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:07 AM

One area that the SLK may effect is the used SL500 market. For some people, a new SLK 350 or SLK55 is preferable to a 2 year old SL500.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:03 AM

SLK 350
If you check the benzwould forum, you will find that some people have traded their SL for the SLK. The SLK is sporter and it looks better.

You're talking about the old XKR, right? The new XK doesn't have an R out yet, does it?

No disrespect to the SLK55 (I've got one on order), but the SLK interior does not match the SL at all. Just my opinion.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 AM

2006 SLK350
Talking

Originally Posted by Duo-Art
One area that the SLK may effect is the used SL500 market. For some people, a new SLK 350 or SLK55 is preferable to a 2 year old SL500.
Duh. Even a new SL500 drives like a boat compared to an SLK350, let alone an SLK55.
While it is true that you cannot get the luxury of an SL at any price in an SLK, you cannot get the performance of an SLK in an SL until you are at about 3 times the price.

So it does come down to what you are looking for, but there will always be people at the bubble and the current SLK is much more attractive for that group than in the past having more style, more performance and better quality than before, while the SL has at best improved imcrementally.

I started this by saying that I think MB has realized that and is looking for ways to increase seperation again. Since they have put everything they can think of in the SL, that means downgrading the SLK in some ways.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:14 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55

Yes, the "old" XKR with 400 Hp (which looks better than the new XK).

Your opinion of the AMG SLK55 not matching the base SL "at all" is out of touch (the gap is very small between the AMG SLK55 & base SL). In fact, I think if you look at people's responses, you are in the minority not thinking people won't cross shop a 2 seat V8 convertible on the same Mercedes showroom floor (they are right next to one another, how do you miss them?). As people have said, it comes down to a major performance advantage with the SLK vs. a slight increase in luxury (and a bigger/heavier car) for a $20k premium. The SL is nice, just not worth the performance sacrifice & price premium over the AMG (for my wife & I at least, to some, luxury is more of a buying metric).

Yes, my SLK has 590 Hp via Kleemann modifications - its in my sig.
http://www.kleemannusa.com/

-Matt
Old 05-27-2006, 11:57 PM

Yes, the "old" XKR with 400 Hp (which looks better than the new XK).

Your opinion of the AMG SLK55 not matching the base SL "at all" is out of touch (the gap is very small between the AMG SLK55 & base SL). In fact, I think if you look at people's responses, you are in the minority not thinking people won't cross shop a 2 seat V8 convertible on the same Mercedes showroom floor (they are right next to one another, how do you miss them?). As people have said, it comes down to a major performance advantage with the SLK vs. a slight increase in luxury (and a bigger/heavier car) for a $20k premium. The SL is nice, just not worth the performance sacrifice & price premium over the AMG (for my wife & I at least, to some, luxury is more of a buying metric).

Yes, my SLK has 590 Hp via Kleemann modifications - its in my sig.
http://www.kleemannusa.com/

-Matt
Well, you are definitely right about the performance/luxury/price ratios. That is why I've got an SLK55 on order. But that's me, and you I guess too.

The thing is, I feel like the majority of SL buyers are not interested as much in performance as in luxury. What's the average age of an SL driver? It's probably pretty high. And when it comes to luxury, and I guess we just disagree on this, I really do feel like there is a signficant difference. I'm sure I'm going to love my SLK55, but I sat in an 07 SL550 the other day, and the SLK55's interior (in my opinion) doesn't compare. I also think not having a wall directly behind your seat back makes a big difference in terms of the feeling of spaciousness too.

Btw, the updates MB did to the SL550, particularly with the sport package, are simply awesome. The cars looks incredible.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:48 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Well, you are definitely right about the performance/luxury/price ratios. That is why I've got an SLK55 on order. But that's me, and you I guess too.

The thing is, I feel like the majority of SL buyers are not interested as much in performance as in luxury. What's the average age of an SL driver? It's probably pretty high. And when it comes to luxury, and I guess we just disagree on this, I really do feel like there is a signficant difference. I'm sure I'm going to love my SLK55, but I sat in an 07 SL550 the other day, and the SLK55's interior (in my opinion) doesn't compare. I also think not having a wall directly behind your seat back makes a big difference in terms of the feeling of spaciousness too.

Btw, the updates MB did to the SL550, particularly with the sport package, are simply awesome. The cars looks incredible.
Hmm, I'll have to go sit in a new SL again I guess - I just didn't think there was much of a delta in fitment & materials?

FWIW, I do think you will like your new car!

See ya,
-Matt
Old 05-29-2006, 03:20 AM

Hmm, I'll have to go sit in a new SL again I guess - I just didn't think there was much of a delta in fitment & materials?
Well, let me be more specific. Take the design of the door interior and door pull. The SLK55's door interior design is really really plain for a $65K car. The door pull is kind of cheapish too. I suppose their reasoning is, this is a flat out sports car, so it shouldn't be too fancy, it should be kind of stark. The SL on the other hand (at least in the 550 I was looking at) has a great door pull and door interior design. It's just much more sophisticated and richer. Much more luxurious.

The top of the dash material on the SL is also clearly superior to the SLK, and the shifter console area on the SL is nicer too.

To someone who's more interested in the exterior appearance and performance (like me) it's not a big deal. But the SLK55's interior is at the lower end of the MB luxury scale in my opinion.

My favorite MB interior of all at the moment has got to be the CLS interior in black leather. The wrap-around feel of the dash into the doors is the most ****pit like feeling of any MB, the top-stitching is fantastic, great design. Better than the W221 S-Class. I sat in one recently and frankly kind of found the interior rather boring, although the exterior is fantastic and now that I've seen it in person, with the AMG bodykit it rivals the CLS in the looks dept.

FWIW, I do think you will like your new car!
I have no doubt about that!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:52 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Diamondkomp,

I agree with your view regarding the SLK vs SL interior. I think the SL is much more luxurious. But, that's what your paying for. More luxury, but less performance.

I think the slk55 is the perfect balance between luxury and performance. MB did a great job in dividing that $65k price amongst all the features. While the interior may not be up to the SL standards, it's far from cheap. It's still looks good and feels good. It seems that much of the price was dedicated to the performance. That's fine with me! What's great, is that there really isn't a down side to the car. In fact, it's quite a bargain!

Let's see...

Price, check
Performance, check
Looks, check
Luxury, check
Convertible, check
Hard top, check
Exclusive, check

Other vehicles I considered, but didn't meet my needs:
911, uncheck price, hardtop, exclusive (most can't tell a 996 from a 997)
Cayman, uncheck convertible
M3, uncheck hard top, exclusive
Corvette, uncheck luxury, exclusive
Z3, uncheck performance, looks, hardtop, exclusive

Just my opinion, but I'm sure many others would agree.