SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: one touch auto roof update..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK28
ok.. so i did drove it today at work... already got 7 complements on it.. from the car itself to my 19 inch brabus monoblock 6 all the way to the color... and to think i work w/ a bunch of attys.. lol.. i guess u cant resist the beauty of the SLK!! LOL.. well guys, ill be on vacation starting monday.. headin to philippines... yeepeeeee.... i hope my module is here when i get back!!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:33 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Also offered for other folding hardtops?

Any chance this unit would work on the new EOS coming out in the U.S. this fall?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by northbenz
Any chance this unit would work on the new EOS coming out in the U.S. this fall?
You'll probably get a better answer from a VW forum but if the demand is there, they will make it, same with our SLK's. Go on the VW forums and let them know about it. Marcus who sells the roof module frequent benzworld forums, he knows the demand is high for it.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:27 AM

06 SLK
Okay, Ordered the Auto Roof Module off of eBay for $245 (includes shipping). Hopefully will get it by the weekend and install it. Let see how it works.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by tsn0041
Okay, Ordered the Auto Roof Module off of eBay for $245 (includes shipping). Hopefully will get it by the weekend and install it. Let see how it works.
I didn't know they sold them on ebay. mind providing a link? Just don't want you to get ripped off.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 AM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
Hey guys.

I just ordered the R230 version for my SL. Looking forward to getting this baby in place although the detailed discussion and install instructions that the SLK forums here and elsewhere have provided are distinctly lacking in SL land. It just proves that you guys are more innovators than us.

Wish me luck.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 AM

06 SLK
Originally Posted by Ynot
I didn't know they sold them on ebay. mind providing a link? Just don't want you to get ripped off.
heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200013818105 . I am getting it today.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:08 AM

06 SLK
Another site here in US selling for $419. (www.mods4cars.com)

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/...products&cat=5
Old 08-09-2006, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200013818105 . I am getting it today.
34mph huh, mine's only capable to 30mph. It doesn't show what the module looks like, hope it works, post your results. That's a great price btw.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 PM

06 SLK
Okay have a prolem. I installed and everything I can enable and disable it by pressing the hanup button on the steering, the turn-signal flash as stated in the instructions but other than that nothing works.

does signal flashing mean that I installed it corectly? and it is getting power? Something else wrong? wrong slot maybe?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Okay have a prolem. I installed and everything I can enable and disable it by pressing the hanup button on the steering, the turn-signal flash as stated in the instructions but other than that nothing works.

does signal flashing mean that I installed it corectly? and it is getting power? Something else wrong? wrong slot maybe?
Make sure that the red LED light is on that indicates power to the module, press hangup button, two blinks is on I believe and make sure the green LED is on the module, wait five minutes or so before trying to operate it. But if your signal flashes, that's usually a good indication that you've correctly installed it. I would just wait for awhile. Hotd from the other forum made a mistake of operating it too soon, he left it for awhile, came back and everything worked. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:35 AM

06 SLK
Thanks Ynot, I think I figured it out. In the instructions it said to use the last plug (no. 9) But I had a total of 10 plugs, so I used the 10th one and it didnt work. I do not have Led's. I called the guy who I bought from and he suggested to use the 9th pin instead of the last one that was 10th. So after I plugged to pin 9 it worked (atleast the roof up/down switch) but the remote didnt. SO i was like aaaa maybe I just need to give it some time. So I pack up everything and nothing works.. so now I am thinking that I moved the ground cable while packing up.. I guess I will need to open the whole thing back up and screw the cable again tighter.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:57 PM

06 SLK
Well after changing the ground and confirming that the module is getting 12V it is still acting up. Sometimes I can open sometimes I cant. And alot of times when I start the car I get the roof error. So I talked to the vendor and he thinks the module might be bad. I am shipping it back tomorrow and hopefully will have another one by end of next week. I have to say that the support is excellent.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM

'06 Red SLK350 & '01 Black ML320
tsn0041,
I bought a module for the SLK from the same seller 2 days after you (Aug 7) and I have similar problems:
1. When the key is not in the ignition or is in the ignition but the engine is not running I get “Retractable Roof Visit Workshop” message on the display and nothing related to the roof works. (Note: When the engine is started the “Retractable Roof Visit Workshop” message disappears.)
Exception to the first problem: If the engine was just stopped you can either lower or raise the roof only once using the key or the center console button. If you try the second time it will not work and the “Retractable Roof Visit Workshop” message comes back on the display.
2. While driving, I was trying to reset the speed limit for the roof at a higher point. So I pressed the end call button for 2 seconds, but this was not setting a new speed limit instead it disabled the Module. So I had to press the end call button again to turn the Module on. This means that I will always be limited to the 25mph from the original setup.
Also, after couple of days when I removed the module to ship it back for fix/replace I noticed the module to be warm to hot. Is this normal?
I am expecting the new/fixed module any day now.
tsn0041, did you get yours back? Is it ok now?
The feedback of this eBay seller shows someone who bought this module on Aug 17 (apparently for one SLK in UK) saying "works like a charm"..... Maybe there is hope.....
Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 PM

06 SLK
BENZ-Man, yes they sent me a new one the next day, and works great. They said that the ones that they got before had a faulty sleep timer in them, and the new ones had that fixed. I installed it day before yesterday and everything is working great!

For everyone else, I would highly recommend these people, the modules cheap and awesome support.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQs...ningQ2dconcept
Old 08-23-2006, 03:16 PM

BENZ-Man, yes they sent me a new one the next day, and works great. They said that the ones that they got before had a faulty sleep timer in them, and the new ones had that fixed. I installed it day before yesterday and everything is working great!

For everyone else, I would highly recommend these people, the modules cheap and awesome support.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQs...ningQ2dconcept
Thanks for the reply & the good news tsn0041.
I can't wait to get my new one.
I "wasted" 2 more weeks with my finger on the console button, but if it's working up to 34 mph I'll be happy.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:27 PM

06 SLK
I have not tested, but I think I have used it upto 30mph.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:40 PM

Unhappy

Friday (Aug 25) I received my serviced module and now I do not get the error message but I am still unable to reset the speed limit for the roof above 25mph.
They sent me a new module Monday with a prepaid envelope for me to send back the faulty one. I am not too happy as now I will have to disassemble the left side of the car for the fourth time..... We'll see.....
Old 08-29-2006, 11:48 PM

SLK28
well, ive had my module for 3 weeks now but im having a hard time finding someone that would install it for me.. lol
Old 08-30-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 9moon
well, ive had my module for 3 weeks now but im having a hard time finding someone that would install it for me.. lol
Send me a plane ticket to CA and I'll do it for you.
I am now an expert in installing roof modules. Last time I did it in the dark with just the car's interior lighting.
Seriously put it on. I can't imagine the SLK without it anymore.
It's pretty simple. See: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...mote-roof.html
Pages 11, 28 are the most helpful.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:15 PM

06 SLK
Yup its really easy to put it in, I can do it with no light now.

BenzMan, I guess I wasnt able to reset the speed limiter and they sent me a new one without me asking for one. I just got it today, will put it in over the weekend. And as you said, cant imagine the SLK without it.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:45 AM

SLK28
now im really freakin jealous.. im hookin up with a buddy this weekend, ill let u all know then tuesday wassup... im really just not a v ery handy person when it comes to fixin stuff.. ive yet to take a pic of my benzie cause i wanna do that when it's ready for viewing..

thanx fellas!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by 9moon
Do it yourself, it's easy, follow the link above. Trust me it isn't that hard.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by benz--man
Friday (Aug 25) I received my serviced module and now I do not get the error message but I am still unable to reset the speed limit for the roof above 25mph.
They sent me a new module Monday with a prepaid envelope for me to send back the faulty one. I am not too happy as now I will have to disassemble the left side of the car for the fourth time..... We'll see.....
I installed the replacement module last weekend and now everything works great. I can operate the roof up to 34mph and there are also two settings. You can switch from one to the other at a touch of a button. In the first setting you need to press the open (or close) button 3 times to lower (raise) the roof and in the second setting the roof will be lowered (raised) every time you open (close) the car. The second setting is probably helpful if you live in a constant warm weather area or you use the car only on nice weekends (none of which is my case but it's good to have the option). Also the customer support is beyond awesome and the price is not too bad either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by benz--man
there are also two settings. You can switch from one to the other at a touch of a button. In the first setting you need to press the open (or close) button 3 times to lower (raise) the roof and in the second setting the roof will be lowered (raised) every time you open (close) the car. The second setting is probably helpful if you live in a constant warm weather area or you use the car only on nice weekends (none of which is my case but it's good to have the option). Also the customer support is beyond awesome and the price is not too bad either.
I found that the description for mode 1 and mode 2 were reversed. Not that it particularly mattered, of course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: one touch auto roof update..