SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: one touch auto roof update..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oli_h
no, the modules were shipped on monday
In SoCal. Received mine today. Thanks for setting this up. Won't have a chance to install in the CLK550 as I've been very busy but am looking forward to the added features.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick
Radman: In the standard configuration, to put the top up or down, you have to sit in the car, with the engine running, and hold the top activating lever (in the center console) forward or back until the top is completely open or closed. The only other option (and I believe it is an option that comes with the Premium Option), is to use the infrared key, and aim it within about 6 inches of the driver's side outside door handle, being careful not to lose aim at the handle. (An awkward solution.)

With this unit, you will be able to press the standard key's lock or unlock button three times, as you approach the car, or leave it, and the top will completely cycle on its own. It's a convenience and time saver.

I put the top up and down a lot, all year long. (I have scarf air so I put it down, at any temperature, as long as there is no precipitation.) I just think it would make it all a lot more convenient.

You would not think that you would want to activate the top while you are moving, and indeed I would not want to do it at any speed above about 10 mph. (Wind and bumps would tend to put too much strain on the sensitive hinges.) But there have been a few times where I had the top down, and got stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway far from an exit just as it started to rain. If you have to stop completely for 22 seconds, it will certainly induce a few drivers behind you to lean on their horns.

In addition, it gives you a few other automatic functions regarding the windows (which I don't think make a big difference.)

Also, the SLK does not make a confirming sound as you lock it with the key and walk away. Instead, it just flashes its lights. This unit gives you the option of making the horn chirp, so you can be sure (without looking back at the car) that the doors are indeed locked.

It has a control you can set which turns the whole unit off, returns everything to standard SLK function, and makes it invisible to the service technicians computers (according to their documentation at least.) In addition, they say it can all be installed without cutting wires or soldering. It just plugs into jacks that are already there, and then the existing plug goes into a jack on the unit. (At least that's what I have deduced from the website.)

Check out their website as to shipping. Also, they have a live chat if they happen to be online. Could not tell you about the duty, but with the discount the unit comes down to $240 U.S., so I doubt that the duty could possibly be much more than 10%, but I really have no idea. Perhaps the guys at mods4cars have had some experience, and could tell you in a live chat.
Maverick, thanks for the insight, I just emailed Mods4Cars to confirm that I could still get in on the group buy and to confirm the duty rate. Thanks once again
Old 12-01-2006, 10:22 AM

Mercedes
Received and installed it.

Works perfectly as advertisted, 100% satisfied!!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:09 PM

SLK28
hehehehhehee.. congratz fellassss!!! it's perfect for this weekend too, huh!?! i could never see my SLK w/o this module!!

thank u once again to those who adviced me to purchased this a while back!!

i now get to tell these new guys that they will love it as well!!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM

Mercedes
ATTENTION - THE GROUPBUY WILL END ON 2nd DECEMBER 2006 - THE PROMOTION CODE IS VALID TILL 2nd DECEMBER 2006!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:14 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Mine arrived today. I can't wait to get it installed, although in Seattle it is not exactly conducive at the moment to top down driving.

On that subject, the manual that comes with the unit has been shrunk down to make two pages on an 8 1/2" x 11" page. If like me you have trouble seeing these images clearly, you will have better luck if you print the installation manual found on their website at:

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/db/sm.../en.php?mode=1

Any color inkjet or laser printer should give you better results than what the 1/2 size manual has because they print out at full size.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:25 PM

better late than never...

I'm order 2065.
Their customer service was nice enough to enable the coupon code for me for another 10 minutes.
Thanks for putting this together oli_h.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:30 AM

slk 350
If you're like me, I am sure most of you frequent all the other SLK forums as well. But, if you don't, I strongly suggest you read the various posts made by me and others regarding installation of the MODS4CARS module. If you live in the U.S. especially, you may run into a couple of installation issues. I installed the module a few days ago and ran into some significant problems. They can be worked out, if you know about them. The link is http://www.Benzworld.org/forums/r-17...-smarttop.html. I want to repeat that the instructions MAY NOT be correct for your car.

Again, this is just an installation issue. Once it is installed properly, the module works flawlessly. After the frustration dust has settled trying to install the thing, I am also 100% satisfied. Works exactly as advertised!