SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Variance in reliability between years?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Variance in reliability between years?

I'm looking at possibly purchasing what will most likely be a used SLK350/55 in the coming months. I've been reading a lot of things about electrical failures and other common problems in MB between 2000-2005, and was wondering how accurate this is. I know that there will always be lemons; 10,000 vehicles, all cars require maintenance and at least a handful will have a few extra problems.

I did notice a lot of complaints about the S-class, not too many about SLKs although I figure that may be in part to the fact that there are less SLKs on the road, so naturally less complaints.

Is there a significant difference between the '05, '06, and '07 SLK models? For example, is one year preferred over another, and if so for what reason? Also, would these facts change if looking at the SLK55 over the 350 (manual, if that's of any importance) or vice versa?

I guess what I'm getting at is determining the reliability compared to a new BMW 335i. Obviously, that car will be new, so I would expect a little more of it. As far as reliability and maintenance, how would you compare the two cars? I realize BMW has the slightly better warranty, and MB will most likely cost a little more in the long run. Do the SLKs, and any specific model or year, have any known problems that should be considered? Anything specific beyond the obviosu I should be looking at if buying used?

I want to make sure I have all my facts straight and am not blowing any potential concerns out of proportion. Definitely don't want to pass up an opportunity of owning an SLK because of it.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by shinka
I'm looking at possibly purchasing what will most likely be a used SLK350/55 in the coming months. I've been reading a lot of things about electrical failures and other common problems in MB between 2000-2005, and was wondering how accurate this is. I know that there will always be lemons; 10,000 vehicles, all cars require maintenance and at least a handful will have a few extra problems.
All the r171 sections on MB forums are quiet and slow, not in views but post, that should tell you something, there isn't anything to complain about. The other slkworld.com forums talks about meets, mods, and everyday life, not so much of problems, those post are hard to find theses days. I'm a member of all benz forums and the r171 is by far the most reliable. MB's in general for the last couple of years hasn't disappoint.

I did notice a lot of complaints about the S-class, not too many about SLKs although I figure that may be in part to the fact that there are less SLKs on the road, so naturally less complaints.
Not true, SLK's outsold all roadsters in it's market in 2005/2006, Z4's, boxster, etc. The numbers are surprisingly high, I'm not going to search this site or google for the actual numbers, you can do that. Just b/c it isn't around your area doesn't mean there are less on the road.

Is there a significant difference between the '05, '06, and '07 SLK models? For example, is one year preferred over another, and if so for what reason? Also, would these facts change if looking at the SLK55 over the 350 (manual, if that's of any importance) or vice versa?
Earlier 2005 models had oil consumption issues, still it wasn't that many, considering all the SLK's that were made during that time. There really isn't a difference, options packages were changed, exterior colors added/deleted, no major chances. 2006 preferred, just b/c all the bug's been worked out, still there weren't that many to begin with. SLK55 only comes in 7g Auto, manual transmissions is standard on SLK350, but those are rare and hard to find used.

I guess what I'm getting at is determining the reliability compared to a new BMW 335i. Obviously, that car will be new, so I would expect a little more of it. As far as reliability and maintenance, how would you compare the two cars? I realize BMW has the slightly better warranty, and MB will most likely cost a little more in the long run. Do the SLKs, and any specific model or year, have any known problems that should be considered? Anything specific beyond the obviosu I should be looking at if buying used?
Maintenance is not a problem, you expect to pay a little more for a benz, service A (13,000 miles) cost around $400 or so, I've own the car for over a year and manage less than 5k miles, had my oil change, if though the service manager said it wasn't necessary, cost $100. It's not that bad.

I want to make sure I have all my facts straight and am not blowing any potential concerns out of proportion. Definitely don't want to pass up an opportunity of owning an SLK because of it.
Don't, it's a nice looking car, you will appreciate it, many are still excited after a couple years of ownership, many shed tears when they have to sell it for personal reasons. Have fun, hope to see you around on the benz forums. I've owned a bimmer before and now a benz. Owning a bimmer was no way close to what owning a benz in terms of passion, at least in my case.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 AM

SLK 55 AMG
What Ynot said is true. Seems like people have greatly calmed down when it comes to problems with the SLK. We hear fewer and fewer people having problems with theirs.
MB's getting back on track I think.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:11 PM

SLK28
.. and to be honest with you, if i had met this car before my wife, i woulda marry it then... nyahahahhaha... this car truly just puts a smile on my face.. id wake up once in a while with a bad look on my face when i see my wife, but that's not the case with my slk..

Old 09-29-2006, 08:26 PM

Exactly the answers I was lookin for...

Regarding the '05 models, if I were to look at one, are there any questions I should be asking?

I'm siding more towards the AMG, at the moment at least. The biggest hangup initially was the auto transmission, but I'm beginning to wisen up and put things in perspective.

Also, this is of less importance but more out of curiosity, is the CF interior for the AMG available on all three years? It looks beautiful already in pictures, I can just imagine what it looks like in person.

Oh, last thing..Ynot...what other MB forums would you recommend? I've got slkworld and benzworld bookmarked, just wondering if there's any other good ones out there and what they might be.

Last edited by shinka; 09-29-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Exactly the answers I was lookin for...

Regarding the '05 models, if I were to look at one, are there any questions I should be asking?

I'm siding more towards the AMG, at the moment at least. The biggest hangup initially was the auto transmission, but I'm beginning to wisen up and put things in perspective.

Also, this is of less importance but more out of curiosity, is the CF interior for the AMG available on all three years? It looks beautiful already in pictures, I can just imagine what it looks like in person.
You should be fine with all 05' models, I would not worry about it, get the extended warranty for a piece of mind if you are worried.

Get the AMG for sure if you don't mind auto, it's much faster than the 350, demand more respect, and smoke nearly anything on the road. And a used fully loaded 05' SLK55 is the same price as a brand new SLK350, what a deal, can't beat that. I'm actually thinking of getting one myself, but still partial to manuals and can't live w/o one yet.

CF looks extremely nice on the SLK55 but comes with a price tag, 030 package isn't cheap, also comes with the heavy AMG five spoke wheels that I don't like, CF can be purchases at performanceproducts.com, it's the same ones from the factory, made by mp-design in germany.

slkworld and benzword has the most traffic so I'm there all the time, mercedesforums and pointedthree I hardly visit, mbcanada.com no longer exist, I like mbworld's interface alot, and it's the first forum I was part of so, I'm here to stay.

Last edited by Ynot; 09-30-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:04 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Great information already provided. Two points, I'd go with a 2006 or 2007. I'd pass on a 2005 SLK 350. In my case, the SLK is primarily my wife's car, but I drive it often. I'm considering a new SLK in early 2008. Chances are I'll go with a SLK 55 next time. Waiting to see what the final word is on the SLK 63. My advice, if you're considering the SLK 55, go with the SLK 55. The ONLY drawback is the auto. Not sure if I would be happy without a manual. I have plenty of time to decide. Good luck. You're asking all the right questions.