SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Question: Auto Volume on COMAND?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK350, Auto, Premium, Entertainment, Lighting, AMG Sport Pkg, Designo Pkg (Graphite)
Question: Auto Volume on COMAND?

I recently purchased a 2006 SLK350 a few days ago. It has the Entertainment Package with the upgraded sound system and COMAND navigation. I've noticed that the volume of the stereo does not seem automatically increase in volume. I read the COMAND manual that came with the vehicle, but wasn't able to find an answer to my question. I also looked at the various menus on the COMAND unit itself but was not able to find an "auto-volume" setting/option.

Any help with be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:45 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Sorry, wish I could help. Hopefully someone can answer your question. I just used the volume up and down buttons on the steering wheel. I would be interested in seeing some pics of your Designo SLK 350. Can't say I've ever seen one.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:57 AM

i didn't have to do anything to my car.
I just noticed what when I drive faster the volume goes up automatically.
When I decelerate, the volume goes down.
Same goes when the top is up vs down.
Cool feature.

The screen too dims/brightens with light/dark.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:09 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by camarc
I recently purchased a 2006 SLK350 a few days ago. It has the Entertainment Package with the upgraded sound system and COMAND navigation. I've noticed that the volume of the stereo does not seem automatically increase in volume. I read the COMAND manual that came with the vehicle, but wasn't able to find an answer to my question. I also looked at the various menus on the COMAND unit itself but was not able to find an "auto-volume" setting/option.

Any help with be appreciated. Thanks!
COMAND claims to do that.

For this kind of function, it is hard to tell, as if it is doing it correctly then you would NOT notice anything (ie. the volume appears to stay the SAME as ambient noise increases).

On my wife's Lexus, you can turn the function off and on (called ASL) and it even gives you a little bar graph on how much it's "helping". Truthfully if you are paying real real close attention, you don't notice it (that is, it really is working correctly), then when you are at speed (or window open, etc.) and you actually turn it off, then you are amazed, how much it did turn the volume up to compensate.

On our MB, there is really no way to tell. Personally, I believe it is, however, I do NOT think it is active enough (that is when I set the volume the way I like it at speed with the top down, then when I stop at a light, it's too loud).
Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM

2006 SLK350, Auto, Premium, Entertainment, Lighting, AMG Sport Pkg, Designo Pkg (Graphite)
Thanks for the info. When I was driving around this weekend it didn't seem like the volume was increasing....particularly with the top down. Had to turn up and down the volume manually. My prior car (2003 C-class) had the Bose Audio Pilot which seeemed to work very well....I rarely had to adjust the volume.

"-1-" I'll try to post a couple of pics of the car in a separate thread - probably in a week or two.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Unhappy

Originally Posted by camarc
When I was driving around this weekend it didn't seem like the volume was increasing....particularly with the top down. Had to turn up and down the volume manually. !
Ditto for me. I can't find the option in the manual either.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:56 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
I had asked about mine a year or so ago and was told it was "automatic". I have the same feature on my Harley and I can set the sensitivity as well as on/off. So I thought MB would have that but seems not.
It does appear to work though, particularly with the top down.... just no way to check or adjust.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:22 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Pg 31 of my '05 COMAND manual.

Automatic Volume Control

The automatic volume control adjusts the volume depending on

- the vehicle's speed (only in vehicle's without sound-system*),

or on

the interior ambient noises of the vehicle (only in vehicle's with sound-system*)

- other parameters (e.g. windows open or closed)

But there is no on/off or any visual indication.

Ya just gotta trust 'em!