SLK/R171: What do you think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2007 | 08:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 Diamond Silver SLK 280
What do you think?

Hi,

My 2002 C240 is up for service A in 400 miles; it has 75k miles on it and the extended Starmark warranty expires in a month, 5yrs went by quick. I love the car and thought about some mods but the belts are getting noisy, the ride a little rough so I talked myself into buying a new car this weekend LOL.

I've had my eye on the RE171 since its intro, I'm not looking to race any Boxsters or 350Zs but I do want something more sporty/quicker than my C240. I figure an SLK280 would fit the bill for another 5 years. Any SLK280 owners out there, I'd love to hear your experiences. Or any 350 owners who have a story to share why they choose the 350 over the 280. The 280 is a significant move up in $ over the C Class so thats why I'm looking at a 280.

I also want to get a nice set of 18" wheels for the car too. I doubt I'll do the stereo since the stock one is likely to be highly integrated into the car. Any suggestions on OEM options?
Old 02-14-2007 | 08:50 PM

Welcome. This is another case where including your location will greatly effect what responses you get. Please add your location to your profile.
Old 02-15-2007 | 06:26 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Interesting dilemma. Any model R171 SLK is a great choice. Do you plan to purchase new or used? Many good deals on used SLKs with low mileage. Before buying used, do your homework. I would highly suggest the AirScrarf system as a MUST HAVE option. This will greatly extend your "top down" driving, depending where you live. Appearance is more important to me than pure performance. I chose the SLK 350. More than enough performance for a middle age couple. I agree with a set of nice wheels. A set of 18" - 19" wheels will give you the greatest impact for the money. Decide what you want, then get it.
Old 02-16-2007 | 12:07 AM

SLK 350 MT AMG pkg
visual difference between 280/350?

Originally Posted by -1-
Appearance is more important to me than pure performance. I chose the SLK 350.
What are the visual appearance difference between 350 and 280?
Old 02-16-2007 | 06:07 AM
-1-

I wasn't referring to the appearance difference between the SLK 280 and 350 because there is very little. Just my preference in cars.
Old 02-16-2007 | 06:48 PM

slk 350
Originally Posted by nappy
What are the visual appearance difference between 350 and 280?
280 comes with 16" wheels vs. 17" on 350. That's no big deal if you're planning on swapping wheels anyway. Just don't get wheels that show off the calipers, the 280 brakes are a step down from the 350's brakes. Other than that, they're pretty much identical looking.

The money saved on the 280 might allow you to get a couple of must options. When I got my car, there was no real discounting and I was on a tight budget. I did get the heating package with airscarf (a must have if you live in a colder climate, if it's warm all year where you are, not necessary), the premium package (I think now premium gives you the power seats and auto climate among other things). My feeling is auto climate and power seats are sort of musts on a $ 50K Mercedes.

My only real regret was not getting the upgraded radio, which also gives you Command. I would get that if you can afford it. As was stated, it is more difficult to upgrade the stereo later. The standard radio is o.k. not great by any means, but I find it hard to see in the daylight, especially with the top down. We also have an E-class with Command, and while they could have done a lot more with the displays, it is very easy to see.

I did not get the lighting package. For me, that's not a big deal. I find the halogens perfectly fine and I don't drive the car that much at night. But many would tell you differently. Some swear by the Xenon's.

If you're like I was, get as much as you can for the dollars you have to spend. Maybe stretch a little and get everything you really want. It's a bummer to have regrets later. I still kick myself for not getting the HK upgraded stereo.
Old 02-17-2007 | 11:34 AM

2006 SLK350
Don't do the 18" wheels

I may be the only one to think so, but I would recommend against the 18" (or larger) wheels. I don't personally like the look of the big wheels and low profile tires.

More to the point there is a performance difference. If you race on a great surface the big wheels and lower-profile tires will help. If you drive on ordinary roads, they are a pain because they give you a bumpier ride and are more likely to cause wheel or tire problems on bad spots.

Rather than spend the money on new wheels and tires, go for the 550 and get the 17". Better engine, brakes, standard options etc. If budget is a constraint find a good used one with all the options you want.
Old 02-17-2007 | 04:42 PM

I agree with Vodil about the wheels. I also don't like the looks of the 19" wheels. The 18's are OK but I like the look of the 17" wheels best.
Old 02-17-2007 | 06:26 PM
-1-

I respect the previous two posters views regarding wheel size. For most people, wheels are extremely important. In the older days, 14" wheels were pretty much standard. Most new cars have at least 17" to 18" wheels. I prefer more wheel and less rubber. I like the look of 18" wheels on the SLK. I've considered going to 19" wheels. I think we'll see larger wheels, 18" plus, as standard equipment on more newer cars.
Old 02-22-2007 | 09:02 PM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Slk

Like the previous posters, I think they are absolutely right about your location being a factor as well. Also, your preference too. I drove a 280 and a 350 and although the 350 is pretty fast, I am completely content with the power that the 280 has to offer. It is faster than all the old (non-AMG R170) SLKs and equal or better than 75% of Z4s (non-M) on the road. If you like driving with the top-down a lot, AIRSCARF IS A MUST!! If you drive late at night a lot on freeways//highways//out-of-city driving, you may wanna consider Xenons because I just love being able to light up the world with the high-beams. If you don't care much about any of that and just want a cruiser, then maybe consider upgraded sound system and save the money from what the Xenons might have cost. I understand the packages are different in the states than Canada so I can't make any specific suggestions to actual packages. I honestly really like the factory sport package and had I the money, I would have invested in the body kit. I have a 280 with only Xenons and AIRSCARF. Anything else is not as high on the priority list to me.

I hope some of that might have helped??
Old 03-11-2007 | 12:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Well after weeks of debating I woke up Saturday morning I headed to the benz dealer and after spending a long 4.5 hours at the dealer, early Saturday evening I was a proud owner of a new 2007 Diamond Silver SLK 280 Its equipped with premium I, 6 disc changer, Automatic, and wood trimming. Thanks for all the advice! I haven't taken any photos yet, but I'm sure I'll roll out to the beach later today to snap some shots to share. So far I'm planning on doing the SL antenna, and debating tinting the windows...any other must have accessories?
Old 03-11-2007 | 02:20 PM

slk 350
Originally Posted by MojitoLoco
Well after weeks of debating I woke up Saturday morning I headed to the benz dealer and after spending a long 4.5 hours at the dealer, early Saturday evening I was a proud owner of a new 2007 Diamond Silver SLK 280 Its equipped with premium I, 6 disc changer, Automatic, and wood trimming. Thanks for all the advice! I haven't taken any photos yet, but I'm sure I'll roll out to the beach later today to snap some shots to share. So far I'm planning on doing the SL antenna, and debating tinting the windows...any other must have accessories?
Congratulations! Nice unique color. I considered diamond, but chickened out. There lots of cosmetic fluff you can add (hood fins, tint, aluminum door pins, rear spoiler, etc), but the only real must have IMO is the smart top module. It makes opening the top infinitely easier. Lots of neat features too (one-touch operation, long range remote, operation while moving). I bought the MODS4cars module, but I think the new Piecha module is exactly the same now too.
Old 03-11-2007 | 07:17 PM
Almost a Member!

I woke this morning read through the entire manual and went to the garage to start testing out & program all the functions. Turns out I have two cracked side mirror light panels (both the left and right sides), possibly a replaced windshield because the signature sticker is marked up and has air bubbles in it, the passenger rear fog light is not working, and the center console top storage is broken..some sliding lever popped out and bruised a finger. I left a voicemail with the salesman and sent some photos via email..does anyone know if the dealer is required to disclose if a new car has had repairs/body work prior to sale? I'm trying to keep optimistic this will be resolved quickly to my satisfaction..here are some photos

BMWNOMORE, where did you buy the roof thing..I agree that it would be an essential add-on..is it easy to install?
Attached Thumbnails What do you think?-my280front.jpg   What do you think?-my280interior.jpg  

Last edited by MojitoLoco; 03-11-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2007 | 09:43 PM
-1-

Not the way you want to start out. Although troubling, these are easy fixes. You stated in an earlier post as "new". Brand new vehicle or new to you? Have you given the car a good going over to check for previous body damage, paint over spray etc.? Was your purchase from a MB dealer, or other dealer? Did you receive a CarFax report? This would reveal any major problems with the vehicle, but not always 100% accurate. I would try to determine if there are any further problems before returning to the selling dealer. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2007 | 11:49 PM
Almost a Member!

I looked the body over, looks good..but I can't tell subtle differences in color..my traded C40 was blended and I couldn't tell but their paint meter said it was an absolute horrible paint job. I bought the car new from one of autonation's benz dealerships. I'm taking it in tomorrow..worse case scenario I think I can still return it since its within 3 days and 200 miles. Wish me luck.
Old 03-12-2007 | 12:58 AM

SLK28
wassup buddy.. welcome aboard!! i got a 280 (2006) and i really love it.. just got the brabus bodykit last weekend but havent had the time to take a picture of it.. it's kinda dirty and also, my baby was sick for a week now so i havent had that chance.. anyhow, to answer ur question between the 350 and the 280.. it's basically "to each his own"... i chose the 280 cause i knew i was gonna add a lot to it and i wanted to use that extra money instead of puttin it on a 350.. but that's just me.. anyhow, everyone here is really happy w/ what they have!!

welcome!!

Old 03-13-2007 | 10:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Got my car back today..everything fixed. Said the cracks in the rear view mirror plastic trim was from stress..guess the car got worried when it found out it was going to sit on an autonation car lot Anyway atleast now I can get back to enjoying my new purchase.
Old 03-14-2007 | 06:02 PM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
When you say that everything is 'fixed', did you include the rear passenger fog lamp?? Because it's actually supposed to be like that. Some cars (i don't know if all cars) are actually supposed to have only one light turn on with a rear fog lamp. I'm unsure of the real reason, but I know some Volvo's do it too and my other car does that. Someone once mentioned that it raises more alertness when one light is on instead of two because it is not of the norm. This alertness is necessary especially when driving in adverse road conditions. Other people told me they just cheaped out. I can't remember what the techies said, but it's supposed to be normal. It just gets kind of annoying sometimes when people keep driving up and telling me my rear lamp is out, so I usually leave it in the first knotch instead of pulling it completely out to the second knotch.
Old 03-14-2007 | 08:46 PM
Almost a Member!

The rear fog lamp was not broken; it turns out only one side is supposed too light up. The clear plastic on both side rear view mirrors was replaced and the center glove box top deck was fixed. The windshield, well although we looked at 5 other cars and none of them had a stray mark or smudges on the clear adhesive like mine (see pic) I gave up the argument that the car windshield had been previously replaced and that they sold me a damaged vehicle. I was promised a full wax and detail, I did recieve the car clean but in my opinion it was vacuumed and run through their automatic car wash...it was late so I just said forget it and left. To think I got to deal with them for another 4~5yrs. Anyway now I seem to be riding a bit rough..I think I'm going to take the car to another dealer to have it test driven and looked at.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think?-sticker.jpg  
Old 03-15-2007 | 06:37 AM
-1-

Based on the picture of the Daimler sticker, I would assume your windshield is original. There was a post a year ago that some stated their SLK didn't come with the sticker. If the windshield was actually replaced, chances are they would have left it off. The repairs were minor and your SLK appears to be back to 100%. Dealers are dealers, return only for warranty items. It's time to enjoy your SLK.
Old 03-16-2007 | 05:10 PM

slk 350
Sorry for the late reply. I got my module through a group buy a while ago. But you can buy the Mods4cars module directly from their web-site. I've been very pleased with it so far. I understand the new Piecha module is the same. You can get that over at Slkworld.com. Around the same price I think.

As far as your problems. Looks like you got them sorted out. The side wirror thing has happened to some others. Seems to be something that happens to some once in a while. You found out about the rear fog light thing. And I wouldn't worry about the windshield. As stated before, it is doubtful they would have removed the sticker and then put it back on. They would have just left it off. Maybe they cleaned the interior glass and got it all over and it worked it's way under the sticker. And your center console problem is a common one. Lots of us have had problems with sticking and then falling apart from banging to get it open. So, I think maybe you got a good car with a few minor glitches the SLK is prone to.

Last edited by bmwnomore; 03-16-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2007 | 05:21 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Originally Posted by MojitoLoco
Well after weeks of debating I woke up Saturday morning I headed to the benz dealer and after spending a long 4.5 hours at the dealer, early Saturday evening I was a proud owner of a new 2007 Diamond Silver SLK 280 ..

Congrats. I had a 2004 C230 myself, and recently got a 2007 SLK350 (in October 2006)

I have had a series of problems, mostly with the heating system, and some other concerns I have had (see my other posts in the SLK section of this forum)

But I have been driving my car almost every day since I got it, and enjoying it very much.

I drove both the 350 and 55 before my purchase, but I chose the 350 because I did not need (or really want) the power of the 55 for the $20k hike in price. Instead, I got all Premium packages on my 350 and all the accessories I wanted.

I didn't look at the 280 only because the 350 was just a little higher than the 280.

Check out my car's pic from my signature!
Old 03-16-2007 | 09:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for all the replies. I've put the issues behind me and focusing on enjoying the car
Old 03-17-2007 | 02:25 AM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Considering summer is getting closer and closer...that shouldn't be too hard to do...!!
Old 03-17-2007 | 04:15 AM
Banned

If you're still looking for a good deal on those wheels, we have great deals from Carlsson, Brabus, Renntech, HRE, Avus, and pretty much any company you might have a taste for. We also carry many other add-ons you may want. If you're interested and want some pricing, just send an email to request@euroteckmotorsports.com

Enjoy the new SLK.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: What do you think?