SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK window opens by itself

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
SLK window opens by itself

During the ice storm in the eastern US last week, my car sat in a parking spot and got covered with ice/snow.

Since then, I have noticed that the passenger-side window automatically lowers itself.

I haven't figured out a pattern yet, but I've seen it happen a few times already. I'm not sure if it's triggered by lowering the driver's side window, but it doesn't seem to happen consistently.

#1: I cleaned the snow/ice off the car the morning after, and drove the car in and out of its parking spot to clear out a path that I would drive out on. A bit later, I noticed that the passenger-side window was lowered. I had come in and out of the car a few times, but never lowered that window myself.

#2: In ther afternoon, I drove off into into the road, and got stuck in some snow. As I got help to push the car, I noticed that the passenger-side window was lowered again.

#3: ... it happened a few more times after starting the car.

#4: I started the car to warm it up when the temperature was around 39 degrees, and decided to lower the top. A friend of mine got into the passenger seat, and noticed that the passenger side window was lowered... I guess I didn't even hear it come down... maybe because I had the music on.

Anyway... has anyone here ever seen this happen? Should I expect this problem to disappear on its own, or should I get it checked out?

Thanks,
shahedC
Old 02-19-2007, 02:13 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
if one or both windows lower themselves about 3 or so inches, this is a common complaint. but it usually happens when you shut the window with the top up. i keep my car in the garage with windows open. when i pull out and shut the windows, one or both do that sometimes. the temp fix is to close each window slowly with the up close window button and then once closed to lean on that button for 5 seconds, this should reset the travel of the window. it was explained to me that something is stopping the travel of the window and maybe the weather has hardened the rubber at the top of the window

Last edited by jbanks15; 02-19-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jbanks15
if one or both windows lower themselves about 3 or so inches, this is a common complaint. but it usually happens when you shut the window with the top up. i keep my car in the garage with windows open. when i pull out and shut the windows, one or both do that sometimes. the temp fix is to close each window slowly with the up close window button and then once closed to lean on that button for 5 seconds, this should reset the travel of the window. it was explained to me that something is stopping the travel of the window and maybe the weather has hardened the rubber at the top of the window
Hmm.. it's not just 3 inches.. it lowers the window entirely.

Normally, the windows are lowered/raised very slightly when opening/closing the door. That part is ok, the windows only move a little when this happens, and you can't see a gap between the top of the window and the rubber.

But for some reason, the passenger-side window is being lowered entirely when I get in the car and start it, sometimes... weird...
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
wow! entirely? sounds like a shop visit
Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 PM

2007 SLK350
My car was also caught in an ice storm in January. I haven't noticed the window lowering by itself, but it does not always close after shutting the door. The problem is also the passenger side. My car is also having issues with the roof. It creaks and moans when I put it down and up. I am working with the insurance company and the bodyshop/MB shop on it. Still no concrete answers yet, but will let you know the outcome.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by SLK_girl
My car was also caught in an ice storm in January. I haven't noticed the window lowering by itself, but it does not always close after shutting the door. The problem is also the passenger side. My car is also having issues with the roof. It creaks and moans when I put it down and up. I am working with the insurance company and the bodyshop/MB shop on it. Still no concrete answers yet, but will let you know the outcome.

ok thanks, I am getting it checked out tomorrow...

which area are you in? I am in northern VA... I heard that upstate NY got really bad weather (the usual stuff, I guess)
Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 AM

2007 SLK350
I am in missouri. The storms that hit you are the ones I have already been through. The storm I went through took out the roof on our house, the chain link fence, heat pump, camper, and my car took several hits from falling limbs. Overall, the car is repairable, but I am not sure about the window and roof.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by SLK_girl
..., and my car took several hits from falling limbs. ....
oh no, sorry to hear that...

anyway, I dropped my car off this morning and got a PT Cruiser as a rental... 150 hp.. woo hoo !

The dealership has an Enterprise rental location next door, so they provide free loaners from them... apparently, the only way to get a Benz loaner is to let them know a week in advance, so I guess I'll do that next time...
Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by shahedC
But for some reason, the passenger-side window is being lowered entirely when I get in the car and start it, sometimes... weird...
ok, this is really weird, but it seems as if I have been accidentally touching the right-side window controls when I touch the driver's side door handle.

A friend of mine who has been riding in my car most often seems to think that is the problem.

As silly as that sounds, it seems like that's what's really happening. It's just weird that it happened for the first time during the ice storm. Maybe I recently adjusted the seat memory to a position where I am more prone to pressing that switch with enough pressure to open the window.