SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: 6 Speed vs 7G Tronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Speed vs 7G Tronic

Getting closer to ordering a new SLK. Really like the SLK55 AMG, however not available in a 6 speed. Any comments on the SLK 350 with AMG Sport package with 6 speed vs. SLK 55 with the 7G Tronic auto transmission.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
If you really need a stick to feel like your driving a sporty car, go for it. But be prepared for the non-purist with the extra 100 HP, the extra gear and a very quick-shifting automatic to leave you in the dust. It's a small price to pay for purity.

Seriously, the driving experience of the AMG will be so far ahead of the 350 that giving up the 6-speed seems a small price to pay.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
To shift or not to shift?

That's a very legit question that I always ask myself too. I've always needed the option of having a 6-spd manual when it comes to car choice. I used to be pretty disappointed at AMGs not having that choice, but when I drove an AMG for the first time...(CLS 63), it is so damn exciting that for the 6 hours I had it, I totally forgot all about the desire for a clutch. When it's that fast, that nimble, and that powerful, you forget all about the desire for manual transmission. You're too focused on watching the RPM needle jump up to the red and when to paddle shift to the next step. You're too focused on watching the road so you don't run the red light that you see 5 blocks down the road. Try one for yourself, and you may or may not agree. I reckon you'll agree
Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
It depends, knowing myself I would never be happy with an auto, no matter how good it is, I buy cars for my enjoyment, this is a weekend car, I drive auto's all week so I can't settle for another auto, shifting is part of the fun, if I had another sports car with manual then I might consider an auto, if it was a family sedan, definately an auto, since both doesn't apply to me, I have to have a 6sp manual, I could of had a SLK55 for only a few grand more than my SLK350 but I couldn't justify an auto at the time. If you want it to be faster, SC should be available from Kleemann soon. Take both out for a test drive and decide for yourself.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the different perspectives. Just about peed myself with your focus description B4TM4N, reminds me of an unfortunate learn how to ride a bike experience MANY years ago. I guess "keep your head up" doesn't apply just to hockey! If the snow ever disappears my next step in the journey will be to test drive both.

The journey continues....
Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 AM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by MursBenz
Thanks for the different perspectives. Just about peed myself with your focus description B4TM4N, reminds me of an unfortunate learn how to ride a bike experience MANY years ago. I guess "keep your head up" doesn't apply just to hockey! If the snow ever disappears my next step in the journey will be to test drive both.

The journey continues....
Hehe I just about peed MYSELF when I pressed down on the throttle for the first time...I was major lucky that day because it happened to be my birthday that I had to stop by the dealer to pick up something my parents had left in their S430 they had just returned when the lease ended. However, not only did our rep return with our garage remote, he held a set of keys in his hands.

"What is this?"
"You said you've never driven an AMG right? Happy Birthday."
"HOLY SH*T"
"Be back here by 4pm"
"YES SIR"

It's true when they say it's an experience like no other.

Anyways, try both! See what you like better! GOODLUCK!!