SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: All I want is bluetooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SLK350
All I want is bluetooth

This is my second SLK purchase. The 1999 230 I had was a dream. It gave me no problems at all. I installed an aftermarket head unit and bluetooth for my phone. I researched the 2007 350 before buying it. The MBUSA site allowed me to choose the P1 package and the hands free communication option. I bought my car off of the lot with the same stereo I researched on the site. Now I am told that there is no way to add the hands free. Any suggestions? Can I retrofit the Command head unit and get the wiring from the stereo to the trunk? Please help!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
you can get factory comand, navigation, satelite radio, TV tuner, HK sound, BT phone and/or voice recognition installed - whatever you like and all factory MB...no matter what the dealership states...

greetingz,
Old 12-31-2006, 12:58 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
you can get factory comand, navigation, satelite radio, TV tuner, HK sound, BT phone and/or voice recognition installed - whatever you like and all factory MB...no matter what the dealership states...
So...
1. What does it cost to get blue tooth?
2. How do you go about getting it if not from the dealer?
3. Wont that void the warranty?
4. Can it be done to a 2005, as well as the 2007 specifically mentioned in this posting?
5. What kind of functionality do you get? Does it integrate with Command?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:18 PM

2007 SLK350
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information regarding adding bluetooth. I hate the idea of putting aftermarket parts in a car with less than 2000 miles on it. Hope your New Year Day is good.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:39 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by SLK_girl
Thanks for the information regarding adding bluetooth. I hate the idea of putting aftermarket parts in a car with less than 2000 miles on it. Hope your New Year Day is good.
MBenzNL, they're very knowledgeable and a great alternative to the dealer for upgrades. They make a west coast trip about once a year. They considered a east coast trip last summer but it never happened. That leaves the dealer and aftermarket items. I just completed a aftermarket Bluetooth install utilizing the steering wheel controls for about $300. Many times you'll find the dealer isn't knowledgeable or just plain difficult and expensive to work with. Nothing wrong with PROVEN aftermarket parts and systems. That's what makes these forums so valuable. You have very knowledgeable people with tons of information and expertise to guide you. Otherwise you're at the mercy of the dealer. Their answer is to sell you another vehicle.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Originally Posted by Maverick
So...
4. Can it be done to a 2005, as well as the 2007 specifically mentioned in this posting?

Thanks.
1. It isn't really cheap to get a phone kit (with or without Bluetooth) installed in an SLK, due to the fact that you will need some extra parts to make it work (such as a mic array). If you want to get a price quote, please send an email to s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com.
2. through us (MBenzNL), for instance.
3. That is something you have to discuss with your own dealership. Even though we offer original MB parts, some dealerships will still give their customers a hard time and void their warranty if they have some mods installed... others don't really care what you do.
4. Yes.
5. The phone kit will fully integrate with your car's audio system and steering wheel controls. However, not all Bluetooth phones will give full integration when using the MHI BT interface!

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM

SLK on 3G Network

Hi i just bought an SLK 280 2007 and when they ordered the handsfree port for my phone they neglected to tell me that it only works on the old 2G network and not on the 3G networks that all the phones are on these days! is there anyway of using a 3G phone with the hansfree computer network in the car?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM

SLK on 3G Network

Hi i just bought an SLK 280 2007 and when they ordered the handsfree port for my phone they neglected to tell me that it only works on the old 2G network and not on the 3G networks that all the phones are on these days! is there anyway of using a 3G phone with the hansfree computer network in the car? is this the same sort of problem?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:06 AM

2004 SL 350 & E class 200K avantgarde
Originally Posted by SLK_girl
Any suggestions? Can I retrofit the Command head unit and get the wiring from the stereo to the trunk? Please help!
Most reliable things for your car are OEM things and you can get them with ease : Contact steve. He is preparing for upcoming US trip. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:02 AM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Smile

Originally Posted by Maverick
So...

Thanks.
My input on #3 is:
I believe it all depends what you mean by that. For example, if you modified your audio console and there were suspension problems, then of course warranty would still exist on the suspension. All that matters for the warranty issue is if the modification is in any way affecting the issue being warrantied that you are trying to claim for. If the mod is not pertinent to the issue you need to claim for, you should be safe. I don't believe that one mod voids the entire car's warranty. Now on the flip side, if say you switched the rims to aftermarket and a wheel fell off, you can't exactly expect them to warranty the damaged parts of the body for the cause of a non-OEM item.

Then again, as many have mentioned, it still usually depends on the dealer as well. Most people I hear have had no problems just going by rule of thumb and keeping this guideline in mind.

Last edited by B4TM4N; 02-24-2007 at 04:07 AM.