SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK 200 Kompressor, weird noise, engine probs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 200 Kompressor, weird noise, engine probs

So, i was just cruising today then all of the sudden the car lost like 50% of it's power or more (if 163hp can be called power in the first place ). I was at WOT and it barely revved from 3000rpm upwards. Seemed like it had 70hp on tap.

Anyway, next thing the engine light appeared on the dash and i started hearing a weird noise. I've parked and poped the hood and it's like a belt or something is loose or scratching on something. It's a squeek type noise that is constant, then dissapears for around 3 secs, then starts again and so on... This is with the car idleing btw... you can hear it in normal driving too.

I'm gonna attach a picture of where the noise is coming from. It's the black box right next to the engine. I think it may be the kompressor housing (it's my first Merc so i don't really know if that's it). I'm thinking the belt might have slipped or broke or is loose or something like that.

What do you think?

Old 03-11-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a clip so you can hear what it sounds out. Recorded by phone so crappy quality...

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/107...00001-3gp.html

You have to enter the 3 digit number then wait for 45 seconds before they allow you to DL