SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' CLS 500
Oil Change

Quick question, at what mileage interval are you folks getting your oil change done? From my understanding these cars go about 12-15K (give or take a few thousand miles) w/o any oil change needed. I'm used to getting mine done at every 3K and it feels a little strange not getting one until that high a mileage. Any feedback would be great. Thanks again!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:39 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
I have the same uneasy feeling about the 15K suggestion, having religiously done oil changes at 3K on all my previous cars. My Volvos, since 1995, have recommended 7,500 mile intervals, but I have ignored that and gone with 3K. My 1995 turbo has 133K mile on it, and has never burned any oil; it is not even down on the stick by the time of the next change. (I also warm up cars for a full minute before ever driving off; so far it has worked for me.)

However, I have never used synthetic oil, so I will put some stock into what everyone seems to be saying about it (including MB). For the first change, I am going to do it early on the theory that if there were any irregularities in the parts that needed working out, it would occur in the first few thousand miles. I put 2,200 mile on my car in Europe, and when I pick it up later this week or next, I instructed the dealer to go ahead and do a full oil change. Thereafter, I am planning on going about 10K - 12K, but watching the color of the oil, and of course the level, with every gas fillup. If it is starting to change color or clarity, I'll do an extra oil change.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:50 PM

SLK 230
What about the oil indicator?

Is it wrong to just wait till the oil indicator light comes on and change it then? Or is that a radically illogical concept?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:04 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs up

Hey, Masa. I'm just south of you in DC.

Speaking from experience, with my old car (pontiac) I started using synthetic in it at 40k and extended the change intervals initially to 5k, then eventually to 10k with a filter change at 5k and keeping it topped up. Ran it to over 150k, still running fine when I got my MBZ. The oil always came out looking fine, the car ran great and got about 1-2 mpg better mileage than others of that year/model. This experience made me a big believer in Mobil1, though I can't speak to other synthetics.

Since MBZ went to the synthetic spec with the fleece filter in the late 90s (I'm pretty sure it was 1998) they've recommended up to 10K (with the FSS); perhaps something has them convinced 12-15k is okay. I do recall hearing or reading that some iterations of the FSS went beyond 10K based upon driving habits, etc.

That said, I don't think I'd personally feel comfortable going beyond 10K unless all I ever did was long-haul freeway driving at moderate speeds. I don't think that describes anyone in the bay area, and 'moderate speeds' probably doesn't describe many MBZ owners anywhere. And I'm kind of old-school, too; if I bought a new car, even with synthetic in the sump, I'd run the first oil change through at around 5,000 miles, even if I had to pay for it myself.

Take care and enjoy that sweeeeet ride,
Greg
Old 06-07-2005, 06:45 PM

I'm getting the oil and filter on my 350 changed at 2,500. After that I'll probably change it every 5,000 miles. I don't put a lot of miles on in a year so it may turn out to be an annual oil change.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:17 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Talking My Experience - recommended works

Here is my experience:

In my 98 ML, the oil changes have been as called for, around 12K miles and with 165,00+ miles there have been no problems.

Just had my SLK 350 in yesterday for the first oil change (A Service) at 12,781 miles and everything seems fine, no prior add needed...
Old 06-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55
With a modern engine using a quaility oil and quaility oil filter, there is no reason to change every 3k. You won't harm anything except your wallet.

Thing to keep in mind is that most Synthetic oils will last well over 7k miles. What you really have to worry about is the oil filter. If the filter becomes clogged, then your engine is just going to recirculate dirty oil.

If you get your oil changed at Jiffy Lube, they put the cheapest filter on earth in your car. MB stealerships most likely put an OEM filter in so they can handle high milage.

In my cars, I've used Synthetic Oil with an oil filter made of Synthetic Material (not paper.) Then I change the oil every 5-7k miles depending on how I've driven the engine.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:06 PM

2005 SLK350
With all the crap they do besides change the oil, I'd be weary of having anyone else do it. Besides, they use that ZERO weight oil which I haven't been able to find anywhere, since I believe MB is the only company specifying its use.

With the new oil, their filter, and their service, I have let mine go until the indicator told me to change it. I'm having it's first A Service done tomorrow, and it runs just like that beautiful day I picked it up. I have faith in their mechanics and engineers. Maybe that's ignorant of me, but no one knows that engine better than the folks who designed it.

I've let my VW run 10k every time with no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:56 PM

05 SLK350; 00 Lexus GS400; 05 Corvette
My wife averages 4000 miles per year, so I change it every 4000 miles...

Mobil 1, 8.5qts + MB filter/O-rings. I use a Marine Oil Extractor from BoatWorld... works like a champ!

Cheers,
Doc