SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Won’t start AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won’t start AGAIN!

Gave the car to my wife for her birthday just before Christmas, drove it for 4 days, since the dealer agreed to store the car over the winter we let them store it. 2 weeks ago we picked the car up from the dealers. Drove it about 250 km the first night, left it in the garage for 2 days went to start it and it would not turn over at all. Put the charger on it, next morning it started and took it to the dealer. Dealer kept it over night to fully charge the battery and to test the electrical system all seemed fine. Since the weather was poor (raining and cold – just above freezing) did not drive it for 3 days, again would not start (it would not even allow me to turn the key). Put it on the charger and drove back to the dealer, again they kept it for 4 days, put a new battery in and they tested it by starting it every morning without any problems. Picked it up last Friday drove the car for 50 km on Sunday, went to start it tonight – 4 days later since it was a beautiful night 68f and finally sunny, but it might as well been raining as IT WOULD NOT START AGAIN. Tonight I sent a couple hours reading some forums and have found some others have had this problem and I think it might be something that I’m doing.

Since I always leave the cars in the garage I always leave the keys in the ignition, We have a Lexus and a Chevy, this has never been a problem with them, but now I’m wondering if this is the source of the problem? Any feedback would be appreciated as I have a CTEK charger on it now and I’m back once again to the dealer.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:00 AM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by radman
Gave the car to my wife for her birthday just before Christmas, drove it for 4 days, since the dealer agreed to store the car over the winter we let them store it. 2 weeks ago we picked the car up from the dealers. Drove it about 250 km the first night, left it in the garage for 2 days went to start it and it would not turn over at all. Put the charger on it, next morning it started and took it to the dealer. Dealer kept it over night to fully charge the battery and to test the electrical system all seemed fine. Since the weather was poor (raining and cold – just above freezing) did not drive it for 3 days, again would not start (it would not even allow me to turn the key). Put it on the charger and drove back to the dealer, again they kept it for 4 days, put a new battery in and they tested it by starting it every morning without any problems. Picked it up last Friday drove the car for 50 km on Sunday, went to start it tonight – 4 days later since it was a beautiful night 68f and finally sunny, but it might as well been raining as IT WOULD NOT START AGAIN. Tonight I sent a couple hours reading some forums and have found some others have had this problem and I think it might be something that I’m doing.

Since I always leave the cars in the garage I always leave the keys in the ignition, We have a Lexus and a Chevy, this has never been a problem with them, but now I’m wondering if this is the source of the problem? Any feedback would be appreciated as I have a CTEK charger on it now and I’m back once again to the dealer.
from the manual, page 36:
to prevent accelerated vehicle battery discharge or a completely discharged battery, always remove the smartkey from the starter switch when the engine is not in operation.

Last edited by jbanks15; 04-20-2007 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:23 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by jbanks15
to prevent accelerated vehicle battery discharge or a completely discharged battery, always remove the smartkey from the starter switch when the engine is not in operation.
JB, quick, factual response. I would never consider leaving the SmartKey in the starter switch while parked. Wouldn't have considered this a potential problem. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:31 AM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
thanks -1-!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jbanks15
Do I feel foolish, well at least I can tell the dealer what I have been doing. Thanks for the confirmation, after reading through the forums until late last night it seemed that the keys left in the ignition was the root cause. Thanks for the input. Upside I won’t tell my wife until tonight and I get to drive the car today!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 AM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
happens to the best of us. by the way, update your profile in user cp, with your location and model.