SLK/R171: Slk55-amg -lemon????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 AMG
Slk55-amg -lemon????

I have an Iridium Silver- Red/Black interior Loaded AMG on order. The identical car came into MB, somewhere in Mass. But was not available to me so I had to order it (Sept 15 or so). Dealer says Mid to week 3 of November... is that BS???
$76K w/ tax OTD ... LOADED!

I recently had a Dent Wizard Tech take some minor dings out of my 06' Acura RL (AMAZING!) I'm getting rid of that car for the SLK; so in conversation, the SLK comes up. He does a lot of work for MB... he tells me that I should be prepared for a lot of problems with my SLK55.

His words, "There are about 60 different and seperate computers on the new Benz vehicles and they all have to talk to each other... so, you can expect to have a series of problems with that amount of computers & data....", "I've seen a lot of cars with a lot of issues. The older Mercedes cars were so much better. On these new cars, if you change a burned out lightbulb, you sometimes have to tell the computer system you did this...".

I turned WHITE! Is this true?

I stopped an order on an M500 about 4 years ago and bought a Lexus GX450 Truck because of all the problems with the electrical and fuel systems a friend told me he had. Granted, the SLK is made in Germany and the M-class is made in Alabama (?) which could account for something... My friend, whos wife works for Dym-Benz had the M350 and he told me they replaced defective parts on his MB with new parts that had the same defect in it. So MB did not modify the part to fix the issue. WTH is up with that? If a fuel pump has an issue, don't you fix the part before it goes into any more M cars, or is replacing a defective one? WTF!!!

2008 AMG55 = DISASTER???

Sane minds need to know!

-editor
Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Data centers manage to have hundreds computers which have to talk each other, and any minor problem can issue serious problems. Do not worry MB engineers can manage twice more computers cooperation without a single problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
People who don't actually work on these cars but hear things can scare people much more than anyone else.

They are complicated, there are alot of computers in them yet they have no where near as many faults as you would expect.

If anything they are costing dealers money because they aren't faulting anywhere near as much as the 2001-2003 vehicles.

Don't be worried, they are quite good cars now
Old 10-03-2007, 06:19 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
The Dent Wizard guy needs to concentrate more on removing dents and less on spreading "hear say" rumors. FACT, I've been a member of the various MB forums for almost two years. My wife and I have two R171 SLKs. Other than the initial "oil consumption" problems on the early 2005 SLK 350, I don't know of any major problems on the R171 SLK. The MB forums would be full of such post if those or any other major problems existed. Rest assured, your 2008 SLK 55 is the fourth year of the revised R171. Get ready to enjoy your fantastic SLK 55.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by -1-
...I don't know of any major problems on the R171 SLK. The MB forums would be full of such post if those or any other major problems existed. ...enjoy your fantastic SLK 55.
I would have suspected the same thing. I really do not see disaster (Titanic) stories about the R171 series. Stupid things seem to be missing though...

Parktronic as an option. On an AMG version, should be standard ($72K car-loaded) MB Safety??? Ahhh WHERE? Could you accidentally run over a kid backing up... I hope not!

Keyless go - I mean DAMN... My Hybrid Camry has Keyless fob, Bluetooth and on screen dialing, VOICE command (Dial by number) $33K OTD

My Acura RL has had 0 problems... go figure!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:45 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by editor58
I would have suspected the same thing. I really do not see disaster (Titanic) stories about the R171 series. Stupid things seem to be missing though...

Parktronic as an option. On an AMG version, should be standard ($72K car-loaded) MB Safety??? Ahhh WHERE? Could you accidentally run over a kid backing up... I hope not!

Keyless go - I mean DAMN... My Hybrid Camry has Keyless fob, Bluetooth and on screen dialing, VOICE command (Dial by number) $33K OTD

My Acura RL has had 0 problems... go figure!
I agree. I'm not really concerned with Parktronic. Never had it, so I can live without it. Keyless go and integrated up-to-date Bluetooth system at a "resonable" cost would be nice.