SLK/R171: Looking at an 2006 SLK280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Looking at an 2006 SLK280

Hello fellow MB members. I been looking for an SLK R171 for a while now and really wanting the 55, but I ran into a 280 with the perfect options and color combination (silver/ red interior) that I want and the price is very good. My question is, can I swap out the steering wheel for a 2009 model steering wheel? And is there anything I should look for wear and tear wise or common issues with these cars? From what I have read they seem pretty solid.

Last edited by tasho3; 03-15-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350 with AMG body package
Exclamation SLK

Hey man, I own an '05 SLK350 and the thing is great. I am not sure about your steering wheel question, however, I do have a few issues on this (my) car. 1) Suspension, if you like a soft, smooth ride that will glide over bumps and manholes, this is the exact opposite. Being a sportscar, MB has tuned the suspension to be quite firm and jittery on rough roads. It can get quite unpleasant over old/ unfinished surfaces. I suggest test driving it first to see if you like the rough ride. 2)I have NO idea if it is just my car, but my SLK has a tendency to SQUEAL like crazy when first starting off (mainly during cold temperatures 70 degrees Fahrenheit) . The brakes practically let off a dying animal noise when applied that gets sent off through the entire neighborhood (quite embarrassing). 3)The ground clearance. I have encountered many high driveways, store entries, and speed bumps that were too high and steep for the car to safely pass. I scraped and even cracked the under portion of my front bumper many times which makes it pointless to replace. If you live in an area with good road conditions for this car, you should be pleased with it. Overall, it is a blast to drive and show off to friends. Put the top-down and you are set for the run!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Trickypeng2
Hey man, I own an '05 SLK350 and the thing is great. I am not sure about your steering wheel question, however, I do have a few issues on this (my) car. 1) Suspension, if you like a soft, smooth ride that will glide over bumps and manholes, this is the exact opposite. Being a sportscar, MB has tuned the suspension to be quite firm and jittery on rough roads. It can get quite unpleasant over old/ unfinished surfaces. I suggest test driving it first to see if you like the rough ride. 2)I have NO idea if it is just my car, but my SLK has a tendency to SQUEAL like crazy when first starting off (mainly during cold temperatures 70 degrees Fahrenheit) . The brakes practically let off a dying animal noise when applied that gets sent off through the entire neighborhood (quite embarrassing). 3)The ground clearance. I have encountered many high driveways, store entries, and speed bumps that were too high and steep for the car to safely pass. I scraped and even cracked the under portion of my front bumper many times which makes it pointless to replace. If you live in an area with good road conditions for this car, you should be pleased with it. Overall, it is a blast to drive and show off to friends. Put the top-down and you are set for the run!
Thank you for the reply and advice bud. Unluckily the car sold as I was driving to the dealership. It was a beauty and mint condition. I'm used to stiff suspension, my current car is lowered on H&R sport springs. Oh well, I guess I'll wait it out till the right SLK55 shows up!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350 with AMG body package
Bad news

Wow that must've sucked being let down like that. well hey at least you get to keep some cash in your pocket! haha, well best of luck for the '55!