SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Replacing side skirts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Replacing side skirts

As an alternative to getting the full AMG styling package for the SLK350 what would be the likely cost of just replacing the left and right lower body panel side skirts? I assume these are parts that would be similarly priced to analogous parts presently available for the current model year SLK? Do they come prepainted in any color choices? Is installation much more than snapping into place? I realize answers to these questions will probably be limited to the current model unless Felix or one of the other non US posters aleady has access to the new model parts catalogue.

I like the AMG styling but don't need or want the lowered body and alternative wheels that come with the AMG package. Also I see comparatively minimal improved styling difference in the front and rear pieces between the standard SLK350 and the AMG package.

Last edited by northbenz; 05-02-2004 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Update

Checked with the dealer and learned that the part numbers are already assigned for the AMG side skirts on the 2005 SLK, but no pricing yet. As to the current SLK was given a price of close to $600 for each side. Apparently they attach with clips so any body shop should be able to do the job with minimal effort. Unfortunately, they come unpainted so at least for the current model painting is extra. Anyone else toying with adding AMG side skirts to the SLK350 as an alternative to paying an anticipated $5000 plus for the AMG appearance package? It would be of interest to see a photoshopped SLK350 with just the AMG side skirts added to see what the final result would look like keeping the front air dam and rear treatment unchanged. (I note that the lines on the current SLK side skirts flow into pronounced lines on the side of the rear piece but it appears those lines on the side of the rear piece are much less pronounced on the AMG treatment of the 2005 model.)

Last edited by northbenz; 05-04-2004 at 02:49 AM.